2014-15 towing's season opener in St-Zénon 13dec2014 photo ride-report

towing

Alain,

Great awesome pics and what a good early season opener to get sled shaken out, again thanks for the report.

You are welcome brdgbldr85! I hope to be able to do many more, probably one more this next week-end

Thanks Towing! We are thinking of booking to Taureau for New Years, fingers crossed . . . THINK SNOW

You are welcome snowpromod. As I pm you, Yellow flag for Taureau: http://www.pwc.com/ca/en/car/9096-0733quebecinc/index.jhtml

Glad to see that you are posting your ride reports again this year Alain. I always look forward to your first report of the season, it gets me into snowmobile mode.

BTW nice ride.

I'm Glad to be able to do them! Yes sir, the switch to snowmobile mode is really on!

great pics and nice sled . i see you put the ad bovin suspension in it . tks for your hard work . I am on the mend , got stitches out today and just one splint left on ..hope to ride after xmas . but we will see...

Thank you Grumpysanta! I did'nt find any stock skid that nearly match the smoothness of the expert-X so I give it a try one this one. Good to read that your recovery already going good! I remember in 1995 giving a try to my polaris XLT600 xtra12 in december... with the right hand in plaster :crazy:

Just be careful to not cutting the corner and regret it after, Season is very young and you will have plenty of time to ride for sure

Thanks for the reports and pictures, as always GREAT job ! Our first trip up your way is Jan 18 th, can't wait.

Thanks again, Dave L

You are welcome Pipemaster! In exactly one month you will have your feets in the snow, conditions should have shape up to perfect up to this time

As for conditions for now, we just received a couple inches of new snow this week. We need more than that to get good conditions but at least the opened trail network enlarge pretty much this week there is some decent cold forecast for the week end and some snow next week... we hope for the best!

http://snowmobilecountry.ca/en/conditions

I should ride on saturday. Will post report as usual...

Alain

Edited by towing

What can I say that hasn't already been said? Thank you Alain. Best wishes with the new ride.

Alain i had the same machine xlt 600 x12 the first year it came out .. I am trying to control my desire to go early and found out that the fingers freeze real easy . might have to wear a mitt on right hand for a while and Mr gutz , you have a good idea. but don't know if it would help the finger tips.

here is a picture with the splint and stitches removed ,, YOU only have to do this once to realize it was not a smart thing to do.

Damn, for sure lucky to still have them fingers. Yeah cold will be an issue going forward for you. No doubt. The injured fingers will get colder faster.

Time and patience.

Ouch! it hurt just to look at... maybe handle bar mitts can be an option for you? not expensive and very effective... with the handlebar warmer to broil you should be ok !

The xlt600 long legs is the sled that make me discover what a difference a long travel skid can do! :spiteful:

I was also supposed to leave tomorrow for St.Zenon. I talked to Dennis at Cabanon this morning. The trails there took quite a hit with the warm weather, rain and wind. The trails are soft and after the cool down on Sunday will become ice. Will need a few inches of snow to get them back in shape. The problem is no snow in the forecast next week. I don't know if Towing will try to ride this area on Saturday but if he does, his report on Sunday will tell it all. I believe the base survived, just need another topping.

Hi folks,

We unfortunalely had been severely hit by this thaw... I had not seen in St-Zénon area but at home in the south we had around 25mm of rain last night and mild strong wind today with 6°C...it is still a 2°C when I write this post.The snow to the ground is less than the half that what we had before and plowed area like my drive way are on glare ice. I know that it may be a bit better norther like in St-Zénon but not by so much

JimP perfectly summarize the situation:

I was also supposed to leave tomorrow for St.Zenon. I talked to Dennis at Cabanon this morning. The trails there took quite a hit with the warm weather, rain and wind. The trails are soft and after the cool down on Sunday will become ice. Will need a few inches of snow to get them back in shape. The problem is no snow in the forecast next week. I don't know if Towing will try to ride this area on Saturday but if he does, his report on Sunday will tell it all. I believe the base survived, just need another topping.

At this point, riding on the unfrozen lefting base would ruined it... we need to let it freeze back but I expect very very icy base lefting. The base we had was thin so the groomer won't be able to work anything without some more new stuff to give something decent so...

I will check to see if it worth it to give it a try saturday but I'm really not sure I will go...If I go scratchers will be mandatory for sure...

Sorry for the bad news..

Merry Christmas everybody!