2015 Jack & Sandi's First Trip

revct1

Yesterday we saw that 83 had been groomed. This morning we decide to try riding out of the hotel. We are heading to Mt Apica and/or l'Etape. I realize the first part of the trip will be iffy but once we get up a little in elevation the trails should get better.

We turn east on 83. It is rough. Some rocks and snirt on the trail and then sometimes the trail is pretty good. We arrive at the junction with 368. Straight ahead on 83 is dirt! We turn right onto 368. A little better. The harrowed fields are rough but where the trail base is flat, there is enough snow. We get to the split where right goes to Jonquiere and left goes to Mt Apica. The groomer went right to Jonquiere. Only one old snowmobile track on the Mt Apica trail. Oh oh!

We decide on 383 toward Jonquiere. We get to the crossing of route 175 and the trail looks poor. Time for a U-turn.

We head back and follow 383. We turn right on 383 toward the old Bouleauniere. We decide to take a look at the old relais. Its OPEN! We go inside to have lunch and meet the new owner, Joanne. Joanne said that they are open every day. One other sled there. Before we left, a few more sleds pull in. They are a small tour group out of Evasion.

After lunch we continue down 383. We get as far as Ferland and the trail is not groomed after that. We make another U-turn and head back. The local yellow trails haven't been broke yet. We run back up 383 then 367 to 83 the way we came down.

Some of 383 and 367 is OK and some is pretty rough. North of the river is the best riding as usual.

Have a good night all.

Jack & Sandi

Hi Don,

Glad you made it safely here. As you can tell by our previous post the riding is not that good below the river. We are planning on trailering to Valinouet tomorrow.

You can call us or PM us.

Sandi & Jack

Hi to Everyone,

We're going home today. We are cutting one day off the trip. My back is acting up and I figure its better to rest up for the next trip then to beat myself up today. Thanks for reading and we hope you got as much enjoyment from reading the posts as we did making them.

Until next time, happy trails to all.

Jack & Sandi

As many have said, thank you for the reports Jack and Sandi. Feel better, safe travels and I hope to see you soon.

Regards,

Shane

Quick follow up to their reports:

Today we parked at Vilenue Skidoo and rode from there to km31. Well, the trails weren't that bad, flat but thin, few rocks. Until we got to the ski place. Plenty of snow! Enough to make 2 foot woopdie doos. for the rest of the way.
We talked to someone who rode out of the Hotel today and snow was not bad but sticks and signs are not up, we'll check tomorrow, heading to Onatchaway.

Later

GutZ

Today we rode out of the Delta, across the Bridge and Damn, up the Park Trail and through the cemetery to the 93 Detour, north to Onatchaway.

Well it wasn't Great getting out of town ,we've seen it worse, but they had run a groomer over it, it was flat but thin. From the 93 Detour to the turn off to Onatchaway it was torn up in spots, so we jumped on the ATV trails next to the sled ones here . From the 328/93 Detour turn off to Onatchaway, it was great, plenty of snow and flat.

The snow tonight should really help.

GutZ

Quick Update:

We expected 5-6 inches on the ground on Sunday AM given all the reports we were watching and the radar,

Well.... it looked like we got nothing. We went out and it was so windy the 2 inches that had fallen was blowing like crazy.

Watching the news now it appeared that the storm was not moving as fast as it was originally appeared. So they were saying the park and sag area were going to be at the height of the storm Monday AM. When we were planning to come home. So we decided to Pack Up ASAP and hit the road.

We drove through ALL kinds of weather on the way to the border.

I feel given the stuff coming down on the way home, the Sag Area should get a good amount of coverage.

We'll be back on the 22nd!

Later

GutZ

Thanks Don for covering for me. Good reports.

Every once in awhile, my lower back tightens up on me. A couple of days on the couch and my back is much better. This getting old stuff sucks sometimes.

Jack & Sandi

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Well, we are back from our last ride of the year. We headed to St. Raymond March 22, took a little ride on the local trail to Riviere a Pierre and back on 73 to St. Raymond. Not groomed but not bad. Hotel Roquemont has done some renovations on the restaurant and bar area and installed a microbrewery. They have a new chef and the food was terrific!

Monday we headed to Chicoutimi and the Sagueneene. Some grooming and a little drifting, but not too bad. Hot tub was looking good after bouncing over the drifts.

Tuesday we took 367, then 93 north to Valinouet. Trails were bumpy around St. Honore to Valinouet. Talked to a local who said that they were having trouble with the club and grooming. From Valinouet we headed up Bras Louis (much better). At the Onatchiway cutoff we found a groomed trail. Yeaaa! We were the first sleds at Onatchiway for lunch. A few more came in before we left. We left and took the local trail north and over to Mont Vilain (the old Scoobyraid). Just sled tracks but smooth. Visited with Annike at Mont Vilain. She's closing for the winter season after March 27th. She'll be open June 1 for the summer.

Left Annike and headed down 367 to L'Ascension for gas. Groomed and fast!! Then back down 93 and 367 to the hotel. Nice day!!

Wednesday we leave the hotel and the groomer has been out!!! We take 83 to 368, at the cutoff for 368 to Mont Apica, 383 is not groomed going straight and a sign says closed even though there are sled tracks on it. 368 is groomed and very nice. 23 was not fresh groomed but the drifts were pretty much flattened. At L'Etape we picked up the groomer and it was fast and smooth all the way to St. Raymond. It was getting soft and mushy the last few miles into the Roquemont.

Thursday we wake to rain. All the trucks and trailers are gone but 1 and a few sleds are in the pen. We head home with a smile.

We beat the rain and had an awesome last ride for the season. The groomers are still out in that area, so riding is still possible, but we will have to wait until next year.

Sandi & Jack

Left

Left