Joliette/St-Zénon/St-Alexis des Monts/St-Paulin loop photo ride-report 10january2015

towing

After a good season’s start with two good rides in December, the last one on the 20, Krikri and I had to take a snowmobile break. ... Work, holidays and the famous big thaw had limited sledding opportunities to none and we then began the New Year with a nice big trip in the south to Mexico. 1st time at this place, incredible complete change of scenery, nice and warm ... we had been back in Quebec last Friday morning, good thermal shock back! We were very happy to see that the snow that was almost gone when we left had returned, in more generous amount and bitter cold was already promising of good trail conditions.

It was clear to us that we would be on the trail Saturday morning! By looking at the comments on the forums, I expected to have to go further north for beautiful conditions especially as I regretted my departure too far south in our last ride in December but by talking to our friend Steph who had ride on Friday, he convinced us that starting directly from the home was quite possible with good conditions. So, accompanied by our friend Snowcruiser we begun our ride directly from home near Joliette on Saturday morning under a sunny skies and a temperature far away from those of Mexico beaches at -20 ° C.

DSC05270_zps8afc5b87.jpg

We had sleep to recover from a night's flight so we delayed our departure to 9:30. We did this ride in exploration mode and decided the trip along the way, one junction at a time. The trip turned out to be this:

carte_zpse8742c49.jpg

We begin by joining our buddy Steph (who left from l’Assomption area) at St-Thomas gas station and then move towards Joliette. For those who know well the St-Thomas area, the trail switched places this year. Instead of turning to the left behind the village like the ATV trail, snowmobile trail is going straight north for about 2 miles before turning 90° to then cross the road and reach the usual trail path closer to Joliette. A very good thing because it keeps the trail away from many houses in the village for the noise and it gives to us snowmobilers only one road crossing instead of 4 for the same route and eliminates a ATV shared trail section. Congratulations to the snowmobile club CarCamp for this change!

The conditions in the fields were surprisingly good, although we see some dirt peaks aside the trail in some places, skis does not scrape the bottom and we rode at almost midseason speed except that we must beware of some slope when we cross ditches in some places.

DSC05272_zpsc06e9640.jpg

Here along the railway line in the direction of St-Felix de Valois

DSC05275_zpsbfae371b.jpg

In wood section of this sector, it ride great. Some slight sand mixes with the snow in some spots but nothing major and it is very beautiful in most of the time

DSC05281_zps44f5000d.jpg

DSC05283_zpsd8ba0472.jpg

North of St-Felix, we chose to go toward St-Jean de Matha. The more north we go and we see the amount of snow on the ground increasing. The scenery was also very beautiful very snowy.

DSC05290_zpsbbe8cfa9.jpg

DSC05291_zps72125768.jpg

North of St-Jean de Matha near Gero BRP dealer, I think I made a mistake when we crossed the Black River. The group in front of me had just checked the way down to the river and had decided to pass on the cars bridge and I followed them without looking but once on the bridge I saw the trail was made and marked on the river ...

DSC05292_zps9e8b238a.jpg

Further north of St-Jean de Matha slides, we forked to St-Damien de Brandon although the #63 trail to Ste-Emilie de l’Energie was groomed/marked

DSC05297_zps079ff911.jpg

Edited by towing

Beautiful trail, not very wide but snowy

DSC05304_zps51b90f49.jpg

DSC05298_zps21407626.jpg

Just down this hill we took the opportunity to refuel at the Harnois gas station before going to the north. Although we know that snowmobiling is an expensive leisure, fueling sleds and pay less than a dollar per liter always puts a smile on our face!

DSC05306_zps066e6f9e.jpg

Just a little further, we forked on the #23 trail towards St-Zenon

DSC05310_zpsd78312d0.jpg

The snow coverage was excellent but this main trail link to ride north was already beginning to suffer from traffic on some spots even if it had been recently surfaced. With our late start, it was already 11:30.

DSC05326_zpsf61df00e.jpg

DSC05327_zpsc6734d59.jpg

We ride the #23 up to the #350 that we took eastbound towards Koubec outfitter. This section was very probably the most beautiful of the day especially up to the Mandeville junction, wide and very fast in winter conditions 9.9/10! so with the cold and the pace we did it, Krikri had not take pictures but it was the kind of trail you just want to turn around and ride it a second time when you arrived at the end! We arrived for lunch at the centenary Koubec Pourvoirie a little past 12:30

DSC05345_zpsef652b7f.jpg

There were quite much people and we had time to relax, talk and having a good meal with friends. Although we pass there often, it was a long time since we stopped eating there. It is a special old place with a unique look and history.

DSC05346_zpsf23f68fd.jpg

We then continue our ride by going in the Mastigouche wildlife reserve to pick up the #350 trail to the pourvoirie du Lac Blanc. Because of forestry work, the trail path had moved and the maps may not reflected all change it's for this reason that I made a correction on the map of my route that is made from the interactive map that is incorrect (see map on a second picture from the beginning). The trail I marked out in red is actually plowed and trucks driving by to get out the wood. I drew a rough path on the map for the real trail that go further back in the reserve before it joined the #23/345 trail that is also a bit moved. A detour that does not hurt to do because very beautiful and very fast, candy to do! It is well marked on the trail but just different from the map.

DSC05366_zpsa21f445b.jpg

on the #350 the snow was good but the trail was beginning to suffer from the traffic… all this new snow was pretty soft and even the temps were cold we need some cold and groom cycle to harder the trail

DSC05377_zps18a6ba9e.jpg

DSC05374_zps0aeb4361.jpg

I was a little discouraged because we found ourselves just behind a snowmobile rental group on a rather twisty section and it was unthinkable to pass them but their guide infront was kind enough to stop his group just at the beginning of this stretch to let us pass them safely ... Thanks !!!

DSC05378_zps113abc58.jpg

Here a little before the outfitter, rather twisty and hilly but visibly more snow to the ground

DSC05390_zps37f81abf.jpg

DSC05392_zps86770382.jpg

DSC05396_zpsa41f6354.jpg

We took a short break infront the Pourvoirie du Lac Blanc

DSC05405_zpsbb699a0b.jpg

We then continued on the #350 in St-Paulin direction. This is not really a fast trail, rather twisty and mountainous and it began to be messed up by the traffic of the day but even in this condition there was enough snow to ride without scraping the bottom and it ride pretty well. Here a picture of our friend Steph with the setting sun in the background next to a sand pit just before St-Paulin in Mauricie.

DSC05411_zps21e50a8d.jpg

We refueled at St-Paulin village before joining #63 trail on west side to catch the #3 trail and join Berthierville. There were some good holes in wood section south of St-Paulin due to the rugged terrain base and traffic of the day but nothing major that will not be corrected by grooming. I was a little worried by which conditions we would encounter by returning so much south in farmlands along St-Laurence river, in fact I was not quite sure that all trails were groomed! but I was very pleasantly surprised. Not only is every trails were marked and groomed but apart from a few short windswept sections snow was correct even it was thinner and the skis does not touch the earth often even if the trail was already beaten by the traffic of the day. Our pace was more limited by the cold which was returned once the sun goes down because it was possible to ride at fast speed all along the return.

DSC05424_zps1ebf8f3d.jpg

South of Berthierville, the groomer had already started its run and we had our sweet gift to finish with a cool just groomed trail up home. A total of 184 miles for the ride.

In summary, even the snow is not what it was at the same date in the last 2 seasons that were exceptionals, this season is well started and not just in the north! There is beautiful sledding to do further south and the trail network is well underway, even if it is thinner in a few spots like L’Assomption or St-Lin that are more near of Montreal. Mauricie is also well advanced in opening their trails and l’Alliance du Nord in Haute Mauricie also opened their trails. We can therefore expect a trail system almost completely open and well interconnected in the course of the next week. At this point with the good cold forecast we have ahead there’s no reason to not go for it… this is it.

for some more details on the trail opening, you can take a look here: http://snowmobilecountry.ca/en/conditions

beer_cheers.gif
Alain

ALWAYS A GREAT REPORT and pics are super . gets us all inspired to get out and off the couch . I was out for a little ride to check out my fingers and they seem good , but not as strong as before yet . but they did not get cold like i expected . . HAPPY TRAILS...

Awesome pictures and trail reporting. You really should get something nice from department of tourism in Lanaudiere! I am closer and closer to making a trip up soon. Have a trip planned for Feb 1 for a week....but may be looking to get some riding in before then if I can find folks to ride with so I don't have to go solo.

Do you use a go pro camera for the pictures? I have been thinking of getting myself one for riding to capture scenery and memories.

Edited by MXZ700RIDER

As always great report Alain! I am really suprised to see that the trails look that good that far south. I will be heading up in a little over a week and it is sure looking good.

As usual Alain a super report!! Very slow start here in southern NB as well! Northern NB has very good snow and all groomed.

Andy

Start is slow and put us in vulnerable situation, after the strongs starts like the last 2 years we were able to pass trought all winters thaw and ride the next day but when it's leaner like now it's more risky... it's why I suggest ride when it's possible

At least there's cold and no rain on the forecast!

Thank you Alain ! Outstanding report as always

You are welcome Pipeman!

Thanks for another great report Alain. Your sled looks great. I don't remember being filled in on the details. Bonne sasion.

My pleasure actionjack! My new ride is brand new leftover RsVenture 2011 that I picked late spring for the price of a used one. I put on my Expext-X Boivin skid on it and it give a pretty good trail limousime. Better position, power and wind protection than my old girl but a bit more noisy. I'm still in setupping but no regret on my choice by now., The bang for the buck was excellent for a one year garantied sled that will probably not worth really much less than a more recent one when I will resale it in few years with 40 000km on the meter. Doing myself all my maintenance it was easier to stay with a yami one that I already know alot on.

ALWAYS A GREAT REPORT and pics are super . gets us all inspired to get out and off the couch . I was out for a little ride to check out my fingers and they seem good , but not as strong as before yet . but they did not get cold like i expected . . HAPPY TRAILS...

Thank you Grumpy! nice to read that you recover fast, At this point hanging on handle bar can make a good physiotherapy to get them stronger! ask your doctor a prescription: 3 to 6 hours of riding per day !

Thank you Alain For the Monday report, snow looks good. Pat

You are welcome mccaffrey. From what I heard there are some places that are still leaner like the gazoduc trail south of laTuque which i'm not sure they groom it yet... still need to search a bit but the progression in trail opening still very good

Awesome pictures and trail reporting. You really should get something nice from department of tourism in Lanaudiere! I am closer and closer to making a trip up soon. Have a trip planned for Feb 1 for a week....but may be looking to get some riding in before then if I can find folks to ride with so I don't have to go solo.

Do you use a go pro camera for the pictures? I have been thinking of getting myself one for riding to capture scenery and memories.

Thank you MXZ700RIDER! you should have the best of it in a couple week for your trip.

For the picture I don't use a gopro but a KrikriPro! Very efficient and work very well but out of price to maintain... by chance you can use it for other things like making the laundry, meals and raising childrens but... if she read that i'm dead..loll

It's my lovely wife Krikri that take near all pics you see in my reports. I drive the limousine and she take pics, it's the deal!

But talking about gopro... I had been very sage last year and Santa had put a Gopro4 silver under the tree for me!! i have not use it yet but I will begin to play with this new toy soon...

Great report Alain. The pics really add to it.

Jack & Sandi

Thank you revct1! A pic worth a thousand words they said... I will begin to play more with video in the future but I think my actual report set-up with the pics is a very good way to post

As always great report Alain! I am really suprised to see that the trails look that good that far south. I will be heading up in a little over a week and it is sure looking good.

Thanks 600IQHO, I was surprised too. Along the St-Laurence river just west from Maskinongé there was only a maybe 0,5km on a gravel road that was really swept on ice/gravel mix. It had smell candle a bit but no damage to the slide, it was pretty short and all the rest was correct to good. No big snow on the forecast but no rain neither and pretty much cold... looks good for you!

Thanks again Alain! Great report as usual.

Tom

My pleasure Tom

Nice ride Alain, thanks for sharing your very informative pics and messages.

You da man

Thank you Trailblazer ! have you been able to hit the trails a bit yet ?

Thank you for the awesome report. It is very nice of you and the others that do this. It makes us people that have to travel to get there more confortable that we are heading in the right direction. THANKS again.

Not yet Alain, medically I'm not allowed 'till the end of the month. Anyway my buddy's have been out riding locally and tell me we are in need of more snow, trails are too thin and at the moment not all clubs have been grooming yet so not all connected.

LoL. KrikRi Pro for pictures! My wife grumbles something fierce if/when I stop to have her take a picture. We use our cell phone cameras. Took some nice pictures ones last season around St Donat.

Wifey.... Cold and wondering why I am taking this picture? She would have preferred continue to ride and have hand warmers on hi.

post-1778-0-47977000-1421161702_thumb.jpg

GREAT REPORT!! You should send your writing to Greg Du Vermont for Sledmagazine.com/ motoniege.ca. I almost knew you were going to say "Kriki Cam!" lol safe and happy riding .