Trip Report - Gaspe loop

arubenstein

What days are you going and would you be interested in two more joining you? We've been riding QC for 20 years and experienced at 1000-1500 loop trips. Your mileage per day is perfect but never rode Gaspe before. Always north of Seaway.

Where are you from in NJ? Some of us in SE PA are talking about a Gaspe loop in later Feb/early Mar. Let me know if interested.

Where are you from in NJ? Some of us in SE PA are talking about a Gaspe loop in later Feb/early Mar. Let me know if interested.

Monmouth county. Northern Jersey Shore. What days are you planning as I have to be here 24th and 26th. We could leave 27th, but we were originally looking to do early Feb in case thaw comes early. But no plans set in stone. How many guys you have going?

Monmouth county. Northern Jersey Shore. What days are you planning as I have to be here 24th and 26th. We could leave 27th, but we were originally looking to do early Feb in case thaw comes early. But no plans set in stone. How many guys you have going?

For me personally it'd have to be early March. Not sure how that impacts some of the other's on "the list". Too early to know total guys yet, but hoping it stays in the total range of 4-6 (6 being the max for me). I'll keep you posted (and vice versa) as we get into mid Feb

OK, I am home.

Yesterday, we rode from Valga to RDL, the conditions were great. We did deal with an almost-white-out snow storm for an hour, but it is snowmobiling after all.

The Spot thing will not work online after 7 days, so please find attached my KML file of my tracks broken down by day. We did 996 miles in 4.5 easy days of riding, and this is some of the best conditions I have had in a long time.

More pictures uploaded.

Some notes to posters along the way that I couldn't comment on (because I was posting from my phone and my fingers would have fallen off):

dinobball23: Don't plan so much. Conditions, trails, re-routes, weather, sled problems, unexpected busy season (ever been to Jonquiere during the junior hockey playoffs??) - all reasons to 'fly by the seat of your pants'. My opinion, you will wind up with a much better trip. For instance, in this case on this trip I just took, we still hadn't decided gaspe vs. saguenay until we hit plattsburgh, new york. And then when we decided gaspe, we didn't decided montmagny vs. riviere du loup until we passed montreal. It always works out, and it provides you the ability to ride without have to make a deadline. I have found many times that sometimes, at 4pm, I am just done and want to be in for the night; ot, after 7p dinner, we want to ride until 10pm. It just all depends. Further, I would strongly urge you to consider small lodges and auberges run by locals that are not chains (support them, because they support the sport) whenever you can (see below and Varga). And the same for food a fuel - buy it from a club house when you can, even if it is more expensive. That extra money goes right to the club, and they need it. And buy your trail passes where you sled!

im4snow: I live in Byram, NJ, 07874. I almost ONLY go to Quebec, but have been known to go to Jackman, Maine, also. A gaspe loop in February might be OK, bought March starts racing season (I road race) so probably not after 3/1.

GTRider: Domaine Varga is one of those quintessential 'auberges' that you have to go to. In the woods, very nice people, awesome dog (say hi to Adele!), and a beautiful comfortable log cabin and great food. Like a cross between Pourvoirie du Lac Beauregard and Lac Faillon. This was a great find that we didn't find until 6pm that night when sitting at Jojo's in Amqui, and I am glad we went there.

To everyone else: if you haven't done the Gaspe loop, DO IT. It is worth it, the scenery is out of this world and the trails are unreal. This is my third time around and it won't be my last. Next time I will spend more time on the interior trails and try to get into NB as well.

2015-01-11 Canada, Gaspe, AR-MK-BW-BW.zip

Edited by arubenstein

Nice report, I too have done Gaspe 3 times, always amazing. You are so right about the little places, always welcoming. We stayed at Turquoise Cafe , a little B&B near the light house before Mt St. Piere a couple years ago, really great. We also have come to realize all plans on a trip like this are destined to be broken, go with the flow and always have a couple spare days in your pocket. Extending the trip by 2 or 3 days by crossing into New Brunswick is a great option. You do have to get another trail pass but it also is amazing, we usually go over at Cambleton and have always found great trails and backwoods outfitters that make for a memorable trip.After 25 years and 30k miles I still think The Gaspe is the best riding in Quebec.

Thanks for the detailed report and pics. We will be making our first trip to the Gaspe on 2/28 and look really forward to it. We had planned this trip last year but cancelled at the last minute due to some big storms that rolled up the east coast.

We are doing a Chib. loop starting next weekend and we did reserve every night in advance for this trip. 2 years ago we were almost left out in the cold 2 nights in a row due to no rooms available. For the Gaspe loop I think I will reserve just the first two nights.

Most times depending on the size of the place, you could be safe without a reservation. That said, it is a good practice if you dont have one, call at noon time to book, by then most days you have a good idea where you will be by end of the day. Reservations are recomended on weekend because hockey tournaments can fill places up in a hurry

I dislike making reservations in advance, especially smaller places. I feel like I am cheating the owner out of a days pay if I was not to show up because of a breakdown, snowstorm etc.

Also when touring and pulling into a town or city, I like to window shop first for a nice place or stop for coffee and get advice from locals.

As I get older I don't tour as much. Enjoy doing day trips out of one place, getting to know the town and area restaurants, having my truck always outside the hotel room, and like today, being able to come back to my room at noon because it was so damn cold out. Maybe old age isn't so bad!

Gotta go, hot tub and massage awaits me.

mike

OK, I am home.

Yesterday, we rode from Valga to RDL, the conditions were great. We did deal with an almost-white-out snow storm for an hour, but it is snowmobiling after all.

The Spot thing will not work online after 7 days, so please find attached my KML file of my tracks broken down by day. We did 996 miles in 4.5 easy days of riding, and this is some of the best conditions I have had in a long time.

More pictures uploaded.

Some notes to posters along the way that I couldn't comment on (because I was posting from my phone and my fingers would have fallen off):

dinobball23: Don't plan so much. Conditions, trails, re-routes, weather, sled problems, unexpected busy season (ever been to Jonquiere during the junior hockey playoffs??) - all reasons to 'fly by the seat of your pants'. My opinion, you will wind up with a much better trip. For instance, in this case on this trip I just took, we still hadn't decided gaspe vs. saguenay until we hit plattsburgh, new york. And then when we decided gaspe, we didn't decided montmagny vs. riviere du loup until we passed montreal. It always works out, and it provides you the ability to ride without have to make a deadline. I have found many times that sometimes, at 4pm, I am just done and want to be in for the night; ot, after 7p dinner, we want to ride until 10pm. It just all depends. Further, I would strongly urge you to consider small lodges and auberges run by locals that are not chains (support them, because they support the sport) whenever you can (see below and Varga). And the same for food a fuel - buy it from a club house when you can, even if it is more expensive. That extra money goes right to the club, and they need it. And buy your trail passes where you sled!

im4snow: I live in Byram, NJ, 07874. I almost ONLY go to Quebec, but have been known to go to Jackman, Maine, also. A gaspe loop in February might be OK, bought March starts racing season (I road race) so probably not after 3/1.

GTRider: Domaine Varga is one of those quintessential 'auberges' that you have to go to. In the woods, very nice people, awesome dog (say hi to Adele!), and a beautiful comfortable log cabin and great food. Like a cross between Pourvoirie du Lac Beauregard and Lac Faillon. This was a great find that we didn't find until 6pm that night when sitting at Jojo's in Amqui, and I am glad we went there.

To everyone else: if you haven't done the Gaspe loop, DO IT. It is worth it, the scenery is out of this world and the trails are unreal. This is my third time around and it won't be my last. Next time I will spend more time on the interior trails and try to get into NB as well.

Hey thanks for the input arubenstein, i did the gaspe last year (map below is what we did). I always try to do alot of planning, idk y i just feel better about it as normally one of us normally have a deadline on when we need to be back. as for me im only 22 and out of school and all that so im on more of a deadline than normal. I will say thou last here during the trip had to change one day, as we were up there when got 2 1-2ft snow storms in 3-4 days.

post-1768-0-08640100-1421683913_thumb.png

As far as jonquiere goes, i normally back it there every year and buy my passes off bill down here in Nh as he lives like 15 mins from me. Hockey season is crazy there, have a buddy that was just there this last weekend i think and everything was booked because of hockey.

I will try looking into smaller lodges more, I mean i have stayed at a few over the last couple years, and always try to stop at them to gas up and get food or w.e. i do try to help as much as i can, always very good to deal with and good food. I c that you want to do the interior trails, i would def recommend them as i did them last year, most of which was breaking trail in over a foot of snow, didnt thhink was going to make it. But those are some very good trails. and i also want to get a pass and do some riding In NB. so within the next couple years NB is on my list as well as maybe raddison or james bay

the storm that went thru here yesterday left us with alot of hard rain and ice, then left 4 inches after that was done with but up in the gaspie it appears to be even worse didnt see much snow on the reports for up there hopefully the trails hold together.

Edited by dinobball23

• 4 weeks later...

"I've heard the trail into Perce is closed due to landowner dispute. Not sure this is still the case. But we are heading to gaspe then inland on the local then down the regional to Chandler tonight, if not further."

A. Rubenstein many thanks for your posts. I enjoyed reading them. Is their any merit to your quote noted above where you heard rumor the trail in Perce is closed?

My wife, daughter & myself leave from Matane Monday morning. Yes I know it is forecasted to be extremely cold. We have reservations each night and I hope to stay on target. Despite riding for past 15 years I am out of my comfort zone. Wish us well. Where you turned left/ south on 595 after leaving Murdochville we will turn right and head north back to Matane.

Thanks for any response / input !

Edited by nyskidooerinnewhampshire

"I've heard the trail into Perce is closed due to landowner dispute. Not sure this is still the case. But we are heading to gaspe then inland on the local then down the regional to Chandler tonight, if not further."

A. Rubenstein many thanks for your posts. I enjoyed reading them. Is their any merit to your quote noted above where you heard rumor the trail in Perce is closed?

My wife, daughter & myself leave from Matane Monday morning. Yes I know it is forecasted to be extremely cold. We have reservations each night and I hope to stay on target. Despite riding for past 15 years I am out of my comfort zone. Wish us well. Where you turned left/ south on 595 after leaving Murdochville we will turn right and head north back to Matane.

Thanks for any response / input !

Two friends just looped the Gaspe and no worries, this pic was taken last Friday the 6th. My wife and I will be starting our ride this Saturday out of RDL, I'll be on an Orange ZR 8000 and she will be on a black and green ZR 6000 LXR, maybe we will see each to each other out there :drinks:

post-158-0-84466800-1423797343_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

post-1509-0-76550900-1424615513_thumb.jpg

Two friends just looped the Gaspe and no worries, this pic was taken last Friday the 6th. My wife and I will be starting our ride this Saturday out of RDL, I'll be on an Orange ZR 8000 and she will be on a black and green ZR 6000 LXR, maybe we will see each to each other out there :drinks:

attachicon.gifperce.jpg

Good morning Vince.

I hope you traveled safely. My wife, daughter and I had a trip from hell but at the same time a trip of a lifetime. We found it very enjoyable but a lot of work at the same time. Fortunately we met new friends - life savers - who in my opinion will be friends for life.

On Saturday Feb 14 we trailered from Pittsburg NH to Matane w/o incident - a 400 mile trip. We checked into Hotel Riotel and had an enjoyable dinner, sleep & breakfast.

On Sunday morning Feb 15 we traveled by sled to St Anne w/o incident. A very COLD but enjoyable / relaxing day stopping at two relais. We slept in a beautiful hotel named "Hotel & CIE". Again our dinner, room and breakfast was very enjoyable. After breakfast we departed with intentions of traveling to Grand Valle.

Before departing "Hotel & CIE" on Monday Feb 16 I cleared the 3 machines of approximately 9" of snow and it was snowing very hard and windy. About two hours into the trip the depth of the snow had compounded into 8 x 10' drifts. I thought of turning around but knew I would not be able to turn the sleds in the deep snow. Plowing forward hoping to find an exit / shelter we eventually became stuck. After about 45 minutes of digging and packing to no avail and fighting off panic -as we were the farthest we could be from civilization - in snow so deep - five wonderful non-english speaking French Canadians came up behind us. What a relief! After more digging and packing of our machines and theirs we moved on. Eventually we met a group of French tourists with a guide from RDL. Now we as a group of 16 helped each other as one or the other or all were stuck at one time or another.

Shortly after crossing a road in Mont-Saint-Pierre our new friends stated the trails were too deep with snow to travel so all 16 of us ran Rt 132. As previously stated it was our intention of making Grande Valle and we learned it too was the destination of the French tour group but the destination of the first five persons that saved us was further- Rivière-au-Renard, Gaspé.

Hours later by means of Rt 132 we arrived at Grande Valle and while getting gas we coincidentally spoke with the President of the local Snowmobile Club. He advised our new friends they could NOT travel further as everything was closed further east. Subsequently our new friends also stayed at the Grande Valle Hotel.

The Grande Valle accomodations and the two hosts were absolutely wonderful people. Our dinner & breakfast was absolutley delicious. If you need a destination do NOT pass up the Grande Valle Hotel. The food was SUPERB!

On Tuesday morning February 17 despite being told all the trails remained closed the entire group and an additional four riders that also stayed at the hotel encouraged us to travel with them to Perce. Now as a group of 20 we traveled a snow covered shoulder of a back road to Murdochville where we fueled and then hit the un-groomed 8' x 10' snow drift trail to Perce. OMG - what work. It was dejavu from the previous day. We eventually arrived in Perce and had a nice evening at La Table Roland.

On Wednesday morning - Feb 18 we learned the trails remained closed as the groomers had not yet completed their objective so 4 of us decided to hire a car and flat bedded the machines to New Richmond. The others in the group continued by trail and eventually met us in New Richmond later that night. They described the trail between Perce and 5W as being the same as the prior day but from 5W to New Richmond it was OK.

On Thursday morning - Feb 19 we separated company from our new friends and returned to Matane by means of 595N. WOW ! What a ride. A perfectly groomed "highway" with spectacular views along the way. Our new friends carried on to Causapscal. They later described the trails as ROUGH - in need of grooming. The following day they returned to Mont-Joli w/o incident as they described it as being a nice ride. The French tour group was ultimately destined for RDL.

Will we return? Absolutley. When return we will hope a snow storm accompanied with high winds does not hit the Peninsula. If the trail system was anything like we encountered on our first and final day we missed out on so much because of the poor visibility and trail conditions.

On Friday Feb 19 we returned to Pittsburg NH with our car & 27' enclosed trailer. Sadly it too was a nail biter. The high winds and new snow pushed us around. Sadly we saw a tractor trailers on 20W on its side. The wind, snow and poor road conditions caught up with him. We hope the driver survived but it did not look promising.

Knowing what you now know of our intinerary did our paths cross?

Stay safe.
Paddy O

No problem getting into Perce was there the end of Jan. no gas though so plan accordingly

I just spoke with the friendly gent at Roland in Perce and (as you might have gathered from nyskidoorinNH's HOLY-CRAP!! report) they are indeed selling gas this season...

http://www.viaexplora.com/velo/fcmq/restauration/rest-auberge-table-roland/attrait.FCMQ.1641.html?attraits=Restauration

I just spoke with the friendly gent at Roland in Perce and (as you might have gathered from nyskidoorinNH's HOLY-CRAP!! report) they are indeed selling gas this season...

http://www.viaexplora.com/velo/fcmq/restauration/rest-auberge-table-roland/attrait.FCMQ.1641.html?attraits=Restauration

Yes Roland in Perce is selling gas from a steel tank located in the back of his pick-up. When I filled my three sleds I took a total of 79 liters. He charged me $118 US.

Depending on which approach you take into Perce consider fueling in Douglastown or Grand Riviere @ 106.4 a litre.

Stay safe.

Paddy O

attachicon.gifThe trails.jpg

Good morning Vince.

I hope you traveled safely. My wife, daughter and I had a trip from hell but at the same time a trip of a lifetime. We found it very enjoyable but a lot of work at the same time. Fortunately we met new friends - life savers - who in my opinion will be friends for life.

On Saturday Feb 14 we trailered from Pittsburg NH to Matane w/o incident - a 400 mile trip. We checked into Hotel Riotel and had an enjoyable dinner, sleep & breakfast.

On Sunday morning Feb 15 we traveled by sled to St Anne w/o incident. A very COLD but enjoyable / relaxing day stopping at two relais. We slept in a beautiful hotel named "Hotel & CIE". Again our dinner, room and breakfast was very enjoyable. After breakfast we departed with intentions of traveling to Grand Valle.

Before departing "Hotel & CIE" on Monday Feb 16 I cleared the 3 machines of approximately 9" of snow and it was snowing very hard and windy. About two hours into the trip the depth of the snow had compounded into 8 x 10' drifts. I thought of turning around but knew I would not be able to turn the sleds in the deep snow. Plowing forward hoping to find an exit / shelter we eventually became stuck. After about 45 minutes of digging and packing to no avail and fighting off panic -as we were the farthest we could be from civilization - in snow so deep - five wonderful non-english speaking French Canadians came up behind us. What a relief! After more digging and packing of our machines and theirs we moved on. Eventually we met a group of French tourists with a guide from RDL. Now we as a group of 16 helped each other as one or the other or all were stuck at one time or another.

Shortly after crossing a road in Mont-Saint-Pierre our new friends stated the trails were too deep with snow to travel so all 16 of us ran Rt 132. As previously stated it was our intention of making Grande Valle and we learned it too was the destination of the French tour group but the destination of the first five persons that saved us was further- Rivière-au-Renard, Gaspé.

Hours later by means of Rt 132 we arrived at Grande Valle and while getting gas we coincidentally spoke with the President of the local Snowmobile Club. He advised our new friends they could NOT travel further as everything was closed further east. Subsequently our new friends also stayed at the Grande Valle Hotel.

The Grande Valle accomodations and the two hosts were absolutely wonderful people. Our dinner & breakfast was absolutley delicious. If you need a destination do NOT pass up the Grande Valle Hotel. The food was SUPERB!

On Tuesday morning February 17 despite being told all the trails remained closed the entire group and an additional four riders that also stayed at the hotel encouraged us to travel with them to Perce. Now as a group of 20 we traveled a snow covered shoulder of a back road to Murdochville where we fueled and then hit the un-groomed 8' x 10' snow drift trail to Perce. OMG - what work. It was dejavu from the previous day. We eventually arrived in Perce and had a nice evening at La Table Roland.

On Wednesday morning - Feb 18 we learned the trails remained closed as the groomers had not yet completed their objective so 4 of us decided to hire a car and flat bedded the machines to New Richmond. The others in the group continued by trail and eventually met us in New Richmond later that night. They described the trail between Perce and 5W as being the same as the prior day but from 5W to New Richmond it was OK.

On Thursday morning - Feb 18 we separated company from our new friends and returned to Matane by means of 595N. WOW ! What a ride. A perfectly groomed "highway" with spectacular views along the way. Our new friends carried on to Causapscal. They later described the trails as ROUGH - in need of grooming. The following day they returned to Mont-Joli w/o incident as they described it as being a nice ride. The French tour group was ultimately destined for RDL.

Will we return? Absolutley. When return we will hope a snow storm accompanied with high winds does not hit the Peninsula. If the trail system was anything like we encountered on our first and final day we missed out on so much because of the poor visibility and trail conditions.

On Friday Feb 19 we returned to Pittsburg NH with our car & 27' enclosed trailer. Sadly it too was a nail biter. The high winds and new snow pushed us around. Sadly we saw a tractor trailers on 20W on its side. The wind, snow and poor road conditions caught up with him. We hope the driver survived but it did not look promising.

Knowing what you now know of our intinerary did our paths cross?

Stay safe.
Paddy O

I always caution folks about snow in the Gaspe when they are planning their trips. There are many tales similar to yours on here. I know there are some who will scoff, but when traveling with women and/or children (or if you DON'T like to fight 10' drifts all day): when it snows more than a few inches don't travel; wait out the storm and let the groomers work. This is doubly true when traveling along the north shore!! The wind changes even a few inches of snow into the large drifts you encountered and after awhile - at least for me (and some others) - it isn't fun anymore.

I am glad everything turned OK for you but as you said, you missed allot of great scenery and great trails just because of the snow. I hope your next trip is more enjoyable!!

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54

post-1509-0-41382400-1424744926_thumb.jpgpost-1509-0-54725100-1424744810_thumb.jpgpost-1509-0-91473500-1424744843_thumb.jpg

Well said - great advice. Definitely better to have a few men and or women in the group that are physically capable of getting themselves out of a worse case scenario.

Honestly, prior to last week if I were reading my post I would have scoffed at it. A lesson in life at a minimal expense in the end, but during the event with no "outside assistance" or "muscle" it could have been the end. No joke. You had to be there to understand it.

As indicated 9" of snow had fallen - one would think no big deal as I had - but 9" of snow coupled with the Gaspe winds- was something I never experienced before & hope not to experience again. An hour and a half into the commute the white carpet my wife commented about minutes before turned into man eating snow drifts like I have never seen before.

Images left to right - All were taken on Tuesday Feb 17, 2015

1st - Trail between Grand Riviere & Perce

2nd - Public road from Grand Valle to Murdochville - After 30 miles + - road ends at a "T" intersection where you access the trail on the right to Murdochville or on the left to Grand Riviere

3rd - Trail between Grand Riviere & Perce

Stay safe -

Thank you.

Paddy O

• 3 weeks later...

I have been traveling the Gaspesie since 1998, often a couple times per year. The Gaspesie can be an unbelieveably beautiful ride or can be a real monster!!! I have rode both many times. When I read your story and you said that you swept 9" of snow off the sleds in St Anne des Monts I knew how the rest of your story was going to go. 3-4" usually means 12-14" of fresh snow in the hills. I am very glad to hear that you are willing to come back to try again. The Gaspesie is known to best among the best places in the world to snowmobile.

I have been traveling the Gaspesie since 1998, often a couple times per year. The Gaspesie can be an unbelieveably beautiful ride or can be a real monster!!! I have rode both many times. When I read your story and you said that you swept 9" of snow off the sleds in St Anne des Monts I knew how the rest of your story was going to go. 3-4" usually means 12-14" of fresh snow in the hills. I am very glad to hear that you are willing to come back to try again. The Gaspesie is known to best among the best places in the world to snowmobile.

Thank you & more importantly thanks to the others - our new friends - who helped us out. Yes we will be back.