Radisson or Bust

Saguenay Bill

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if I sound ignorant, I have been riding in Quebec for 10 plus years, rode with Bill last year with team Bite Harder. Can someone please inform me of what this ride to Radisson is? Whats the deal? Is it an adventure because of no civilization around? Is it just a long ride? No lodging? i SAW SOMETHING ABOUT A GAS TRUCK MEETING THEM?? Riding a plowed road for 200 plus miles?

Just would love an explanation of this trip. Again, not trying to take away from the accomplishment everyone is congratulating them for being only the 2nd American group to do so.

Thank you to anyone who replies... Thanks

Sorry if I sound ignorant, I have been riding in Quebec for 10 plus years, rode with Bill last year with team Bite Harder. Can someone please inform me of what this ride to Radisson is? Whats the deal? Is it an adventure because of no civilization around? Is it just a long ride? No lodging? i SAW SOMETHING ABOUT A GAS TRUCK MEETING THEM?? Riding a plowed road for 200 plus miles?

Just would love an explanation of this trip. Again, not trying to take away from the accomplishment everyone is congratulating them for being only the 2nd American group to do so.

Looks to be pretty freaking far away and remote. Google map Raddison QC. It's about 415 NE of Lac St Jean! And hundreds of miles N of any FCMQ trails.

Accessible only by the 620km James Bay Rd from Matagami that is plowed open. There are no services along this road except for a L'etape like service area at km381.

Edited by actionjack

Just a little curious guys (Ray and Bill) what is the milage on the plowed road from Chibougamau to Radison and from Radison to Matagami?

I checked on the riding the North Road, Chibougamau to Baie James Road and was told by police that I could not ride the road. The Mayor of Radisson told me that the North Road is a public road, no snowmobiles allowed. Where as the Baie James Road is a private road so snowmobiles are allowed, per the Mayor. Mileage from the gate at Matagami to Radisson is 386 miles.

Looks to be pretty freaking far away and remote. Google map Raddison QC. It's about 415 NE of Lac St Jean! And hundreds of miles N of any FCMQ trails.

Accessible only by the 620km James Bay Rd from Matagami that is plowed open. There are no services along this road except for a L'etape like service area at km381.

The Relais 381 has gasoline, a cafeteria and rooms. Cafeteria has very good homemade food and rooms are small bet clean with cable TV and internet service. Showers with plenty of hot water.

To answer your questions as best I can.

1. The ride to Radisson was to see the Hydro-Quebec power generating being done in the region and to do something adventurous. 1/2 of Hydro-Quebec's 36,000 MW of electrical power is generated here. 1 megawatt is 1,000,000,000 watts.

2. I love what electricity does for me. I also love the fact that hydro power is very cheap, very clean and renewable. We got a tour of the Robert-Bourassa generating facility. Here are some facts about it:

a. Each generator has a rated flow rate of 270m3/s or 15,000 18-L bottles.

b. Each turbine can develople 454,000 hp

c. At 483m long the machine hall is as big as 5 football fields.

d. The dam is as tall as 53 story building.

e. Took 23 million cubic meters of fill to build it. That's 2 million 10-wheel dump truck loads.

f. The capacity of the reservoir is 61.7 billion cubic meters. That is enough to supply everyone in the world with 10,000 1-liter bottles of water.

This is the deal for me. I wanted to see it.

3. There is civilization around. Radisson has 500 people. 100 of which are employed by the airport. Hydro-Quebec flies new work crews in every Tuesday. Chisasibi has a population of 5,000.

4. There are 2 motels in Radisson, We stayed at the Auberge Radisson

http://www.aubergeradisson.com/contact.html

5. We also spent two nights, one up and one back at Relais 381.

6. We had a support truck, with 100 gallon gas tank and 12v pump. Truck also pulled a 4 place trailer. We did this in lieu of having to haul gas on our sleds.

7. We road the edge of the road, not the road. I asked the man in charge of plowing the road if we could ride it. He told me he would ask his plow guys to leave snow on the side of the road for us which they did.

I spent 8 months planning this trip. This was no spur of the moment thing. I believe I had all bases covered. This is probably a once in a lifetime deal. At my age if it was going to happen it would need to be sooner than later. My friends helped make it happen.