Radisson or Bust

Saguenay Bill

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No marked trail from Matagami to Raddison or Chibougamau just off trail

I do think the Hydro lines run close to the road all the way up. Last year at the end of January we were in Matagami and there were lots of pickups some with trailers with harvested Caribou on them heading south

Yes Bill is with me

We are here to observe all forms of wildlife

Lads

Gird well your loins.....you will experience trials of many forms on this endeavor :acute: . You will be traveling "lite"....ensure you have room for your daily ration of vin rouge.

All the best on your expedition. Kindly document it thoroughly.

timbo

Trailblazer this map shows a trail (I think) to LG2 from Matagami and from Chibugamo.....

http://tourismebaiejames.com/images/Carte_Baie_James_2014.jpg

I believe those lines you're referring to may be roads Mario

In any case if there is a groomed trail heading up to LG2 it will make it to my bucket list.

I knew a guy several years ago that did about 10,000K a year in Quebec and knew it well, also knew Labrador and Ontario fairly well also. I asked him then if this trip was possible, he told me then that you could do it, but had to ride the plowed road up, and bring food and gas, plus be prepared to spend a night in the woods if something went wrong. But if I remember right it was better to leave from Matagami. If you left from Chib it was alot longer of a ride. He said that if I wanted to do something like this, it could be done on the Ontario side from Cochrane to Moosonee. That wouldn't get you to LG2 but would put you on the shores of James Bay. Then maybe possible to get around or across James Bay ?? I do not know if James Bay is safe to cross by sled or not or if you would even have too. My goal though wansn't to get to LG2 but to get to James Bay by sled. This would definitely be a cool once in a lifetime type of trip. A support truck would make it more doable for sure. There is lodging once you get there I believe.

Seven or so yrs ago I tried to make it to the Native Mistissini Lake - Lodge on that orange trail. Fella at the skidoo shop up street from the Nordic said I probably wouldn't make it with my short track :nea: Narrow, old school Elan trail, non groomed. Made it about 30 miles, proabably where that 1st push pin is.

You get on that orange trial behind the hospital in Chib.

We had fooled with a plan 4 or 5 years ago (Pud, Chopper, Marko and I). Even purchased a sledge to haul gas and survival equipment. Our plan entailed "riding the road" the entire way from Matagimi. Even investigated laying on a chopper in Radisson to take us on a 3 hour ariel tour to view the dams and caribou herds.

The basic botom line: (a) One had to hang out in Matagimi, awaiting a snowfall of at least 4 -6 inches, departing immediately to ride the road before the heavy plowing/cindering commenced. ( B) The first days ride was all the way to the Relais Routier depicted as a waypoint on GT's map above. At the time of our research, this was the only gas twixt Radisson and Matagami. This relais has food, and a limited number of "rooms" for overnighting. © We were planning on pulling 16, 6 gal gas jugs on the sledge, survival equip including a 7 man artic tent with gasoline GI stove, and a 30 - 30 saddlegun (we had even obtained the proper paperwork from the RCMP).

I'll dig thru my notes in the shop and see if I can find the file (although I believe that Chopper may have it). If I recall, we planned something like 8 hours running the road, at 50 mph, to get to the Relais. It's an easy run from the Relais to Radisson.

timbo

Edited by timbo

I have heard that with a guide there is a way through the bush. It sounds like an exciting trip for sure but I not for a groomed trail sled like most of us have

I have heard that with a guide there is a way through the bush. It sounds like an exciting trip for sure but I not for a groomed trail sled like most of us have

definately not those heavy yamahas. :help: settle down....just kidding.

When I talked to Ray he said they were riding the plowed road all the way up, 240 miles. The support truck will gas them up half way. I believe the plowed road starts somewhere out of Matagami.

Ray wasn't up on all the details at the time as Bill had done all the leg work.

My thinking is wilderness roads in the winter are usually very icy and if this is the main road in, possibly sanded. I don't know.

Radisson looks like a pretty good size town, couple motels.

But wow, trip of a lifetime.

(I still want to load the sled on the train at Cochrane and go to Moosenee for a couple days).

mike

No marked trail from Matagami to Raddison or Chibougamau just off trail

I do think the Hydro lines run close to the road all the way up. Last year at the end of January we were in Matagami and there were lots of pickups some with trailers with harvested Caribou on them heading south

I take offense to that statement Gizz.........LOL Now that RMK you had a few years back with the paddles I agree I am no match for but I will follow you wherever you want to go with that 1200

I will beat you to it "follow" you break trail lol

When I talked to Ray he said they were riding the plowed road all the way up, 240 miles. The support truck will gas them up half way. I believe the plowed road starts somewhere out of Matagami.

Ray wasn't up on all the details at the time as Bill had done all the leg work.

My thinking is wilderness roads in the winter are usually very icy and if this is the main road in, possibly sanded. I don't know.

Radisson looks like a pretty good size town, couple motels.

But wow, trip of a lifetime.

(I still want to load the sled on the train at Cochrane and go to Moosenee for a couple days).

mike

They don't use too much sand up in those parts Mike, I have even run portions of the road from Matagami to Quevillion with good lube even when it hadn't just snowed

+

FIND YOUR FORECAST

Search for location or keyword

Current Weather
Updated on Sat Jan 17 12:25 PM Next Update in 02:05 mins

• icon-facebook.png
  • icon-twitter.png
  • icon-google-plus.png

SE 22km/h

Wind

31km/h

Wind gust

73%

Humidity

101.7kPa

Pressure

14.5km

Visibility

2957m

Ceiling

08:18

Sunrise

16:21

Sunset

36-Hour Precipitation Outlook

1:00pm Sat to 12:00am Mon

Snow: Close to 5 cm

UV 0 Low

Sat. Afternoon

Scattered flurries

16.png

-23°C

Feels like -36

P.O.P: 60%

Snow: Close to 1 cm

Wind SE 25 km/h

Wind gust 43 km/h

Humidity 83%

Sat. Evening

Scattered flurries

16.png

-22°C

Feels like -35

P.O.P: 70%

Snow: 1-3 cm

Wind SE 25 km/h

Wind gust 42 km/h

Humidity 70%

Sat. Overnight

Scattered flurries

16.png

-20°C

Feels like -31

Snow: 1-3 cm

Wind SE 15 km/h

Wind gust 33 km/h

Humidity 70%

Sun. Morning

Scattered flurries

16.png

-19°C

Feels like -26

Snow: Close to 1 cm

Wind N 15 km/h

Wind gust 36 km/h

Humidity 77%

Sun. Afternoon

Mainly sunny

2.png

-19°C

Feels like -30

P.O.P: 20%

Snow: -

Wind N 25 km/h

Wind gust 42 km/h

Humidity 77%

Sun. Evening

Clear

18.png

-27°C

Feels like -41

P.O.P: 10%

Snow: -

Wind N 25 km/h

Wind gust 39 km/h

Humidit :crazy:

Edited by zeusand

I wish the crew would report in and let us know how its going. Especially with this cold snap. They have been two days on the trail after leaving Chib and we haven't heard anything on how its going. I was hoping for daily updates!

Mike

Congrats to you guys making it. And thanks for letting us worry warts know!

Damn, couldn't even enjoy my massage yesterday thinking about you in that -30 temps.

Guess I need to call Hot Tomato back and tell her to disregard my dibs on the Cessna.

Enjoy the rest of the trip. Looking forward to details. Glad your all safe.

mike