Third trip of the season

NH Vector

Not sure if this is the right place for this but previous posts covering different regions were bashed for being in one region specific. Left Houlton, Maine last Thursday 1/3 2p.m. rode 125 miles to Fort Kent all trails in excellent condition but rather cold. Friday a.m left Fort Kent headed thru New Brunswick over to Quebec trail 85 in Degleis. Ran up the trail 85 past Cabano to St. Honore'. I think it was trails 544 to 571 to Trois Pistoles. From Trios Pistoles we took trail 5 to Rimouski. Once in Rimouski we took the green trail ?? to Mt. Joli. Came back onto trail 5 in Mt. Joli and rode up to Matane. Stayed the night in Matane at the Riotel, east exit for Matane. 250 miles for the day. Trails all excellent except for a few spots around Rimouski and Mt. Joli where the fields were windblown and there was not much snow-typical but no problem. A word of caution, if you are going to the Riotel in Matane est, there was some roads to navigate and right before the hotel was a windblown field with no snow and a hill about 150' high with gravel at the top. Not the easiest place to get in and out of. Next time I will stay at the first exit Comfort Inn- much easier to get to. Saturday a.m. we ran up trail 5 missed a turn and ended up in Les Mechins, not a bad mistake because we could get breakfast and a cheaper fuel fill up than in the park. Left Les Mechins back to trail 5 to the 595 and headed to La Cache, stopped for fuel and a snack then headed on down to New Richmond saw many deer in the trail and even 2 coyotes. Once in New Ricmond back onto trail 5 ouest to Cross Point. Crossed into New Brunswick and Stayed at Hojo's. 270 miles for the day in by 4 pm all trails along this route were excellent and fast plenty of snow. Sunday a.m. headed down 17 to 19 back to Houlton. 230 miles for the day back to the truck at 1:30 p.m. 875 miles for the 3 day tour 99% of the trails were excellent either fresh groomed or the day before. Passed maybe 30 sleds all trip. Just seems to be nobody out riding this year. Most places in Quebec accepted american money at par. Just plan accordingly as there was an expected warmup presently and conditions couls change rapidly with water etc.

NH Vector

Not sure if this is the right place for this but previous posts covering different regions were bashed for being in one region specific. Left Houlton, Maine last Thursday 1/3 2p.m. rode 125 miles to Fort Kent all trails in excellent condition but rather cold. Friday a.m left Fort Kent headed thru New Brunswick over to Quebec trail 85 in Degleis. Ran up the trail 85 past Cabano to St. Honore'. I think it was trails 544 to 571 to Trois Pistoles. From Trios Pistoles we took trail 5 to Rimouski. Once in Rimouski we took the green trail ?? to Mt. Joli. Came back onto trail 5 in Mt. Joli and rode up to Matane. Stayed the night in Matane at the Riotel, east exit for Matane. 250 miles for the day. Trails all excellent except for a few spots around Rimouski and Mt. Joli where the fields were windblown and there was not much snow-typical but no problem. A word of caution, if you are going to the Riotel in Matane est, there was some roads to navigate and right before the hotel was a windblown field with no snow and a hill about 150' high with gravel at the top. Not the easiest place to get in and out of. Next time I will stay at the first exit Comfort Inn- much easier to get to. Saturday a.m. we ran up trail 5 missed a turn and ended up in Les Mechins, not a bad mistake because we could get breakfast and a cheaper fuel fill up than in the park. Left Les Mechins back to trail 5 to the 595 and headed to La Cache, stopped for fuel and a snack then headed on down to New Richmond saw many deer in the trail and even 2 coyotes. Once in New Ricmond back onto trail 5 ouest to Cross Point. Crossed into New Brunswick and Stayed at Hojo's. 270 miles for the day in by 4 pm all trails along this route were excellent and fast plenty of snow. Sunday a.m. headed down 17 to 19 back to Houlton. 230 miles for the day back to the truck at 1:30 p.m. 875 miles for the 3 day tour 99% of the trails were excellent either fresh groomed or the day before. Passed maybe 30 sleds all trip. Just seems to be nobody out riding this year. Most places in Quebec accepted american money at par. Just plan accordingly as there was an expected warmup presently and conditions couls change rapidly with water etc.

NH Vector

NHV, Sounds like you had a great trip last week, We also got out on the snow, but decided to go west and ride the eastern townships and centre of quebec areas since the snow cover has been great everywhere this year.

We left Moosehead lake last Wednesday:

Day 1: Maine System to Border crossing at Armstrong, rode to 25/580/65 and 525 to sherbrooke- staying in fluerimont for that day with 245 miles for the day, We encountered great trails,, but many open water holes

Day 2 Rode local trail through Bonsecours and on to valcourt, up 35 to danville- ( encountered a chain case problem on the yami) and limped into Drummondville with 150 for the day; Trails were great all day other than the river crossing in Drummondville was wet on both sides.

Day3: Stablized the chain case problem, Rode 532/45/5 east. cut down local trail to villeroy picked up 25 to St Marie for 230 mile day: Had a great time riding the fields along the st lawrence river plains. trails were all great.

Day4: Rode 75 south to the border, back to Mooshead lake by noon for a 130 mile morning ride.

NHV Hope to see you on the trails sometime again this winter.

RR

My wife got to try out her new xp in some powder a few days before we left for quebec along the maine quebec border, lots of fun

Nice breakfast locations on local trail in Bonsecours

Great ski doo dealer at Valcourt- has everything!

The Quality inn at Drummondville

Filling up an XP after a lot of long field riding

Hi RR,

I had a feeling you were riding last week, glad to see you were able to ride some different trails over in the eastern townships. I hope we don't loose too much snow during this warm up 60F down here. What type of a chaincase problem did you have?? Being a fellow yammie rider it's always good to get some details so I can check my sled. I probably won't get out next until early Feb as I will be out of the country. We'll have to see if we can meet up for a ride in Feb. Stay safe.

NH Vector

Hi RR,

I had a feeling you were riding last week, glad to see you were able to ride some different trails over in the eastern townships. I hope we don't loose too much snow during this warm up 60F down here. What type of a chaincase problem did you have?? Being a fellow yammie rider it's always good to get some details so I can check my sled. I probably won't get out next until early Feb as I will be out of the country. We'll have to see if we can meet up for a ride in Feb. Stay safe.

NH Vector

NHV: Operator error as much as anything!!, had been ridding in Maine alot over the holidays, had checked the case after last quebec trip but not since, developed seal leak around the lower shaft and got the case hot day two of the trip. Filled it back up with BRP two stroke oil to get to drummondville, Got it into the yami dealer in drummondville but he was unable to get the cover off. We did Drain and reFilled it up with lube and purchased extra lube for the next two days. Leak continued, but watched it closely adding the lube every 3-4 hours.

Having the dealer take the case down and change out the bearings and seals now.

Note to self, check chain case level more frequent :wacko:

RR