Auberge Manawan

SkippyDoo

Anybody ever stay at the or know anything about Auberge Manawan ? I'ts right in the town of Manawan, the reservation. It looks nice from pics on the net. Last year they diverted the trail 33 to go thru Manawan instead of bypassing so I ended up taking an unexpected tour through the town. Now I learn there is an Auberge there. Maybe they serve food too ?

There is a reason the gas pumps are locked in a fence and the grocery store only has about 6 items in the whole place.

We always leave at least one person outside with the sleds while the others go in and pay.

And Beeler wasn't kidding about how the kids do like to hang on the bumper.

The last time we stopped there for gas we went into the store and got some snacks. Our group was standing around the sleds eating and one guy left a bag of chips on his running board. We looked over and the starving dogs were making off with it. My brother went in and bought a bag of dog food and dumped it out in the snow for them. Best day of their lives. The advice is right, gas and go and make sure someone or a couple of someones stays with them when you go into the store.

I don't know if anyone on this forum may have remembered or heard of the couple of guys that were stranded their for about 7 hours because they ran out of gas at the pump.

Well, I was one of those guys. One of the most bizare and rememberable days I have ever had sledding. We pulled in at about 10am to get gas, there was 3-4 other sleds there, when i pulled up, things looked kind of odd, sleds at the pump and no one was doing anything. Long story, short, the gas truck was on its way from Montreal and broke down. Then another truck got lost, meanwhile we sat outside on our sleds on a rather sunny day about 20-25 degrees. Not bad right?, well at about 3pm it starts to get darker and colder after being outside sitting on your sled or lying back on your seat for 5 plus hours watching the town drunks struggle down the roads, yelling, talking to themselves, everyone in town coming to the pumps to see what was going on and looking at us like what are you doing here? They were nice people, they just are different, and assume not many have ever left that town. Kids play hockey in the street with a crushed soda can as a puck. Everyone that came to the store bought either cigarettes or beer or both. It was certainly an interesting day to say the least. The gas truck arrived about 7pm, and when I saw the truck coming down the hill into town, I must admit it was one of the happiest moments of my life. Only problem was, we had about a 120 miles to get to our destination. Not sure about any lodging there, but it would probably not be on my list to stay. What a day, we got to around Parent, and they had heard about the gas issue we had, news travels fast in those areas I guess.

Many years ago it was the only place to buy gas as Repos had not been known by many or at least my group. We went into Manawan and got gas. A small restaurant serves pizza and we were hungry. I had an old Polaris so no one was stealing it! Anyways as we were pumping gas two Skandic sleds pull by with tobaggins and each one was towing a moose. Must have come back from some hunting expedition. They must have been baby moose or else those Skandics have fairly strong motors.

The first two years I ever went to Quebec the group I was with took me to Manawan to that Restaurant you are talking about. If memory serves me correct the food was decent.

The first thing I was told was take everything in with me that was not fastened to the sled. When we came out there were kids on every machine and all compartments were hanging open.

GAS N GO

Edited by 600IQHO

Years ago the trail to Manawan was the road from St. Michel DS. about half way out there was a little store/gas station, this is where you would turn right to go to Repos (now it wasn't there then) This is how you also get to Kanawata and at that time the road was usually plowed because there was a lumber camp just a couple miles before the town of Casey. The store was burned down years ago and never rebuilt, the road is still plowed out to Kanawata that is there access the Indian villiage at Manawan is responsible for some of the trails in the area and they are known to play with the signs to mess people up

Years ago the trail to Manawan was the road from St. Michel DS. about half way out there was a little store/gas station, this is where you would turn right to go to Repos (now it wasn't there then) This is how you also get to Kanawata and at that time the road was usually plowed because there was a lumber camp just a couple miles before the town of Casey. The store was burned down years ago and never rebuilt, the road is still plowed out to Kanawata that is there access the Indian villiage at Manawan is responsible for some of the trails in the area and they are known to play with the signs to mess people up

That is correct. One year in a blizzard that just dumped 8-12 inches of snow during the day, we had dinner at Repos. The owner told us the road led to St Michel. We rode it all the way to that turn off. Then because of snow cover, we made a left at the T and rode it straight into downtown St Michel. That was a fun night and fast track back into town.

Edited by NJSkidoo

The first two years I ever went to Quebec the group I was with took me to Manawan to that Restaurant you are talking about. If memory serves me correct the food was decent.

The first thing I was told was take everything in with me that was not fastened to the sled. When we came out there were kids on every machine and all compartments were hanging open.

GAS N GO

Yes they had good pizza And yes we brought in everything.