Coburn Gore Maine Boarder Crossing Info

T3R3

I had searched for information about crossing the boarder at Coburn Gore. The maps indicated that there was a short local trail after the border crossing that would bring you to the TQ63 but I could not find any other information.

A couple of us decided to test it last week. The ITS86 in Maine was well marked and groomed. After crossing the border the trail starts 350m down the road and this is marked. The next few miles had no signage and the trail was narrow and only one sled had been down it some time before the last snow fall. Following the GPS tracks from Tilou Biscuit made it a lot easier than it would have been with without them. As expected TQ63 was well marked once we got there.

I had a camp in Eustis for decades and often took this trail. Traffic was always light from Coburn to Woburn, not many Americans go that way anymore to enter Canada and vice versa. And the first Canadian town, Woburn, is pretty small. Not many American sledders have passports these days, I guess. And the big pain going through the border probably discourages many.

Always found the trails great starting at Woburn. Trail north to Megantic and really like the one going west.

mike

Mike that’s funny. I have spent decades at the other end of the lake.

Haven't done that much riding in Maine most of my riding has been north of the St Laurent. It is just getting harder for me to find people to take the drive north.

That white building with the cottages 50' from the Corburn Gore Canadian customs was a rocking honky tonk " in the day ". Has a big stage in there if you looked in the window. In the old days, when a day pass was $20, is was possible to loop from Pittsburg NH to Corburn Gore, thru Woburn over to Rangley Me and back to NH. This was when NH + Me reciprocated registrations. Back then, you where waived through custom with a few questions and no ID even. If I remember, the trail was closed for a time, in Maine due a land owner issue on one tiny section. Last time I was in CG the trail to custom was over grown and taken over with Maple Sugar Sap lines. Good to see you can get through now. Oiseliene in Montmagny used to be packed with sled 8-10 yrs ago. Last time I checked it out, it was zero sleds there. Maybe they should have left the 10 person hot tub next to the bar. Its a street or 2 behind the motel across from the skidoo shop. Trail goes right next to the skidoo shop when you get into Montmagny. Most people seem to use the motel + restaurant just across the street from the skidoo shop. Probably because it right there with sleds parked, when saddle bagging into town. Neksledr , depends on if you cross in Norton on Beecher falls or where ever. All TQ stuff abutting the boarder should be good with some fresh snow. :drinks:

My favorite place by far in Montmagny is the L'oiselere (spelling?) as mentioned in one of the previous posts. Well marked trail to get there, but a few hundred feet of road running. Food is excellent, rooms pretty good, pool, hot tub, nice lounge bar with fireplace and TV. It is where I stay when the riding in that area is better than RDL or just need to see different trails after too much riding in RDL. Avoid the place across from the SkiDoo dealer. If can't get into the L'Osierlere, the place across the street from the Cat dealer is nice, but has no restaurant and bar.

I have never stayed in St. George. Also St. Marie never gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

T3R3-when you say you spent years at the other end of the lake, are you talking Flagstaff or Lac Megantic. I too used to go north of the St Lawrence, but discovered RDL and Montmagny area trails are smoother and mostly less crowded, plus love the shorter drive getting there.

mike

Motel 232 is directly across this street from the skidoo shop. Its a typical 20 -30 room just off the exit motel. https://www.google.com/maps/place/H%C3%B4tel+Motel+232/@46.969618,-70.577452,3a,75y,267.16h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sozG6j4biOQ_9X1Nqir6QSg!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xa7852e37f340877f!6m1!1e1. Last winter, I lost a clutch roller limped in to Montmagny after dark. Somebody at the first club house called the skidoo shop and told them I was coming after closing hr's. Parked the machine in front of the skidoo shop as told. I could look out the window and see them back my sled out the shop for my 232 window. It worked for me. L'O is more like a nice 4 star hotel.

Hi Jak, I used to like the old 232 motel with its 24 hr restaurant.

Stayed there a night or two last year when everything in town was full. I believe restaurant is now a St. Hubert Express takeout.

I was on the back side and seedy characters were hanging out there late into the night.

Room was very dimly lit. Toilet never stopped running and sink never stopped dripping. Also I believe there is no longer a bar there.

Most sledders use the L'O now, lots of sleds usually there Thurs-Sun

232 Motel looks empty every time I go by. It has a different name now.

SkiDoo shop across the street is excellent.

mike

We stayed at the once 232 in Montmagny last season. It has been changed to an Econolodge. We stayed in rooms in the front. They were just renovated and very nice. Breakfast was included.

Trails around St Georges are really nice. Too much road riding(burning blacktop) for me. I won't stay there again. As said, the Bernieres is really nice.