riding in extreme cold , under garment tips wanted

clk1x

Looking for some new base layer gear for those really cold days. I used to ride with a heavy leather suit and I think it was warmer than my new KLIM gear but that was quite a few years ago . I'm finding as the day goes on and the heat of the day is single digits I get cold and its hard to shake. I would like to hear what others are using.

Thanks

Synthetic base layers that are weight appropriate for the temps, then my fleece pants and Klim uninsulated pants over that, on top the base layer, a synthetic shirt, Tek Vest and an Arctic Cat Gore Tex shell that I will put the insulated sleeves into for the subzero days.

Those leather suits were not as warm as the modern day layering, we were just younger :rofl:

Edited by Vince

All the suggestions above are good. The only thing I can add is to be sure your outer Klim jacket has a liner that attaches inside the windbreaker shell.

The handlebar muffs are a big help. They retain the handlebar heat. Make sure your hands are warm before putting on your gloves/mittens when you leave the motel.

Be sure you have no heat loss around your neck and head (your brain sends more blood to your head when it's cold and less to your extremities. Old saying is "if your hands are cold, put on a hat".)

You must avoid sweating.

Also I found my latest seat on my XS Doo is ever slightly higher than previous Doo seats. Since I got this sled I've been cold and never was before.

I believe a draft is now coming down my collar somewhere and am a having a difficult time plugging the leak.

mike

I have a thick dickie from Choko. It is pulled down over top of the balaclava and across the shoulders. It seals very well around the collar of the jacket and the base of the helmet. It is very warm and I don't pull it on until it is -15 or colder. Seal out the wind, seal out the cold.

I have a thick dickie from Choko. It is pulled down over top of the balaclava and across the shoulders. It seals very well around the collar of the jacket and the base of the helmet. It is very warm and I don't pull it on until it is -15 or colder. Seal out the wind, seal out the cold.

thick dickie....lol

When super cold, I double layer. Base layer should wick away moisture. Don't use cotton as a base because it wont wick and will become damp with perspiration which could lead to chill. I use a turtle fur neck gaiter over balaclava to ensure a good seal around neck. Have a good insulated jacket and bibs. I have found that all jackets are not the same. They all look the same, but some have thicker layers of insulation. The lower priced coats generally have less insulation and are more designed for sno cross and shorter duration riding. The old saying you get what you pay for applies. I have always bought SKIDOO clothing which isn't cheap, but you can score good deals at snowmobile shows if lucky. KLIM reportedly also makes good gear. I rode in Quebec recently and the temperature was - 10 f at 10 am. Not sure what wind chill was but had to be lower than -10 f. I was warm by layering. I had some air seeping in from above visor I think, but that was it. Good luck. I have also at times wear two pair of socks. One thinner wool blend...and one heavier wool blend

I have been riding in very cold temps, -25F to daytime highs of -5F for the past 4 weeks. I wear the following:

1. Choko Frostguard Balaclava, a SD Dickie and a Choko Modular Helmet.

2. Cotton T shirt, either a fleece top or cotton sweat shirt, tec vest and a Choko Adventurer Jacket.

3. Cotton shorts, fleece pants and Choko Extreme Cordura Pants.

4. Cotton socks and Bilodeau seal skin boots.

I must have been absent the day they were saying you must be in layers of man made materials in order to stay warm and that cotton was not good. I am old school.

Edited by Saguenay Bill

I layer.

1) Synthetic base layer from RUoutside.com (made in USA). Or the Un Armor/Klim base layers are good too. I only use the bottom base layer below -10F.

2) Mid layer.....Klim Everest pant are fantastic for warmth (see link below). Then a good fleece top, or a Klim mid-layer top.

http://www.klim.com/Everest-Pant-3253-002.html#57320

3) Tekvest on top

4) Good Klim insulated suit

5) Glove liners and thin gloves (Skidoo Grip Gloves). I add gauntlets below zero F.

6) Klim socks

I'm good to -25F, haven't tested below that.

Edited by im4snow

I use UA 3.0 base layer a synthetic mid layer and my bibs on the bottom. Up top again a UA base fleece jacket and my Klim coat. Feet I use a moisture wicking base sock and a medium weight wool sock on top and then my Klim boots. Kilm gloves and below zero F gountlets. UA balaclava on my head and a BV2S helmet. Rode in -5F to -40 two weeks ago and the only thing I had trouble with was a couple finger tips on and off.

X2 on RU Outside base layer or UA 3.0. Icebreaker Mid ski socks - the best! Klim bibs - very warm. Reima Yamaha jacket. When it's real cold I have fleece pants and Klim shirt plus handlebar gauntlets or fur mittens. HMK Team Pro Boa boots. I also have real nice Yamaha balaclava with a fleece neck gaiter built in.

I also have a real nice heavy weight synthetic base layer from Eastern Mountain Sports.

Edited by actionjack

It is great to hear of so many others including Tek Vest as part of your suit up. I am a Believer in that item, provides warmth to your core and protection to those same vital organs. There are many acceptable brands, but synthetic base, with some amount of bulk to create air pockets depending on cold. Outside - the best jacket you can get, that is Made for snowmobiling. Many other excellent ideas already provided.

I am not nearly as old as Bill LOL but I guess I am old school as well. The re is no secret that you need to layer but I don't buy into all the special high tech undergarments. I have never had a problem sweating at -35F so I wear a cotton T-shirt lightweight polypropelene long underwear,cotton turtleneck not real heavy,plain old cotton sweatpants then and I think the most important is a really good suit I have always stuck to the best Yamaha had for touring. I can't stand the underarmour it's too tight and makes me uncomfortable

I am not nearly as old as Bill LOL but I guess I am old school as well. The re is no secret that you need to layer but I don't buy into all the special high tech undergarments. I have never had a problem sweating at -35F so I wear a cotton T-shirt lightweight polypropelene long underwear,cotton turtleneck not real heavy,plain old cotton sweatpants then and I think the most important is a really good suit I have always stuck to the best Yamaha had for touring. I can't stand the underarmour it's too tight and makes me uncomfortable

Many of the new jackets are little more than shells so your warmth will only come from your other layers.

Under Armour has different styles and I think you may be referring to the "Compression Cold Gear". There are others that are actually warmer and are not compression so don't rule out U/A for that reason.

Many of the new jackets are little more than shells so your warmth will only come from your other layers.

Under Armour has different styles and I think you may be referring to the "Compression Cold Gear". There are others that are actually warmer and are not compression so don't rule out U/A for that reason.

I agree on the UA. The base layer 2.0/3.0 & 4.0 are really warm and they are not real tight. I also have the compression type and I like them also but they are not nearly as warm.

Nobody is as old as Bill. If you dont sweat when you ride, cotton works great. Just add more layers as it gets colder.

I have been riding in very cold temps, -25F to daytime highs of -5F for the past 4 weeks. I wear the following:

1. Choko Frostguard Balaclava, a SD Dickie and a Choko Modular Helmet.

2. Cotton T shirt, either a fleece top or cotton sweat shirt, tec vest and a Choko Adventurer Jacket.

3. Cotton shorts, fleece pants and Choko Extreme Cordura Pants.

4. Cotton socks and Bilodeau seal skin boots.

I must have been absent the day they were saying you must be in layers of man made materials in order to stay warm and that cotton was not good. I am old school.

I like the boots :good: How do find the durability of them to be with today's cheese grater running boards?

I still wear the cotton shorts as they are the most comfortable, but just this year I found a synthetic t-shirt at Cabela's that is made by Under Armour that is softer and more comfortable than any cotton T that I own.

I sold my sleds some years ago and have been doing some Long Distance motorcycle riding the last few years. I rely heavily on 12V electric heated gear. I typically wear heated jacket liner, gloves and socks. I took a 600 mile ride a couple weeks ago where it was 6F when I started only only got into the teens. I had the heat on about 50%, not the slightest bit cold...I was hot actually. Why hasn't this caught on in snowmobiling? I can remember my hands being so cold that I would warm them on the pipes and allow the exhaust to heat my gloves etc. I would have killed for heated gloves if I knew then what I know now. Maybe the alternators on sleds aren't large enough? Must be a reason people are using heated gear.

I like the boots :good: How do find the durability of them to be with today's cheese grater running boards?

I still wear the cotton shorts as they are the most comfortable, but just this year I found a synthetic t-shirt at Cabela's that is made by Under Armour that is softer and more comfortable than any cotton T that I own.

I have had 3 pair of Bilodeau's boots over the past 25 years. I wear them 50+ days a year. They aren't cheap but they are quality.