Dealing with a dead snowmobile battery

MXZ700RIDER

I haven't run into this yet, and hopefully wont, but in a case of a dead battery....how can the battery be jump started? Would jumping it from an auto battery damage it ? Do you connect all the positive and negative clamps Or does a negative clamp need to be grounded. I don't think there is any instruction in owners manual on how to do this. I also have a portable jump starter and again would I connect both the positive and negative cables to dead battery if I use it? I have always had pull start sleds and never had to deal with this potential issue. Also instead of jump starting the battery, would using the back up method of starting the sled (pull starting with supplied clip/cord) be recommended instead?

A sled can be jumped. There are very small Lithium Ion battery packs you can carry to jump a sled. Keep it warm and charged in your hotel room in case of need. Given the cold of the past few seasons we have had a lot of experience jumping sleds. I have always just done + to + and - to - from sled to sled, booster or truck. Sometimes you just need to get the sled warm due icing somewhere in the fuel system. We had to drag the only 2 stroke with us last year in to the rental shop at the Four Points in Q C to warm it up. Also, I think Iceman said his buddy brought his battery in the room overnight. Good idea unless the battery is a pain to get to like our Apexes. -40 is cold for any vehicle.

Well, hook it up POS to POS and NEG to NEG. The batteries used in sleds are 12 V as are cars, so you could use a car battery and not hurt anything. They also sell these small portable jump boxes now that have enough amperage to start a sled. I have seen them start a car. They will also charge a cell phone, GPS etc. And you can carry it in your jacket pocket. All my tool dealers carry them and I have seen them now at places like Amazon.com for much cheaper. However for those to work you still need a battery with some voltage left in them. If it is dead and frozen you are SOL. Thawing battery and hope for the best is your only option. Or replace it. The CCA of a battery goes down with the temp. I've seen guy's heat up there batteries with hair dryers, heat guns etc. It works but requires patience. It's all you have though in the bush. Pull starting with the supplied rope is a pita. I asssume we are talking 2 strokes here. No pull starting a 4 stroke. For those reason's above that's why I prefer the 600 Etec. But that's just me and my opinion. But they will start down to -32. At least that's what I have witnessed so far. On the battery or the cord. Our other sled is an 800 Cat LXR. When it get's down below zero the E-start gives up sometimes, but still pull starts fine. Once it's warmed up, good to go