Chibougamau Loop Trip report

Boomerjericho

Myself and five friends did the Chibougamau loop from Feb 6 - 11. Four Yamahas, 1 Ski Doo, and 1 Cat.

We left from our rental camp in St Damien, and returned to the same camp.

Day 1. Woke to -20F. By the time we had breakfast and loaded up it had climbed to -10F. Turns out this would be the warmest start of the trip. Destination was La Tuque approx 185 miles. Easy day with good trails.

Day 2. Woke to approx -30F after breakfast we loaded up and left it was approx -20F. Destination Roberval. Another easy day approx 185 miles. Great trails all the way.

Day 3. Another cold day to wake up to. -36F Not sure what the temp was when we left, but it had not warmed up much. Destination Chibougamau approx 200 miles. Needless to say it was a cold ride, but again the trails were great.

Day 4. Wake up temp was -40F. That was just too clod for us to head out into, so we waited it out for a couple of hours til it warmed up to -25F. Again it was a cold ride, especially on the railroad bed. We had to keep it around 60mph. Destination for the day was Louvicourt. Turned into the longest mileage so far at 285, after a minor misdirection. As always the trails were great again. Still managed to pull into Louvicourt

Before dark.

Day 5. Destination Mont Laurier, another long day 285 miles. Temps approx -12F trails started out very hilly for a while and then smoothed out nicely. But they got bumpy as we approached Mont Laurier.

Comfort Inn was very busy. Glad we had reservations.

Day 6. Saved an easy day for the last day back to camp. Temp about -11F Only had 162 miles to get back to camp on pretty good trails.

All in all we had a really good trip. Yes the days were cold but the trails were groomed pretty much 9/10 to 10/10 every day. And we had a good time and a lot of laughs with good friends.

Good run Boomerjericho thanks for sharing your Chibougamau experience, my first time in Chibougamau I took a taxi to an Indian shop by the school to buy some souvenirs, seal skin mokasins for my new born back then, still have them today and they smell like the day I bought them, that was 18 years ago.

I rode my sled to the Native shop and bought some cool stuff. That office handles native affairs and they sell hand made stuff. Its couple of blocks behind main st, on opposite side of street from the trail behind the stores. Like JG said, ride right by an elementary school. Headed there this week actually, anybody need some mocks ..... :db: Rather spend my $ there than across the street from the Nordic...... :air_kiss:

Ok, I might have check on the talent. :give_rose: Part of the cultural experience :friends:

8)

I left with Andyman and a couple other guys and headed west out of Chibougamau at -40° a few years ago. Sitting on a rail line for over two hours when it is groomed smooth has to be one of the coldest stretches in Quebec! No bumps, steering or fluctuations of throttle just make it colder.

• 9 months later...

I did a loop to Chibougamau for my first time in March 2015. It was a great five-day loop out of Shawinagan and the trails for the most part were in very good condition. There was four of us with an even split between Cats and Doos.

Day 1. The first day was from Shawinigan to Roberval at 445 km, Great conditions.

Day 2. Was from Roberval to Chibougamau at 338 km. It was a great day with premium conditions and a beautiful trail.

Day 3. As luck would have it coming out of Chibougamau happened to be the coldest day of our trip at -25°C. The ride down the rail line was chilly to say the least. We pushed all the way to Balbuzzard nonetheless, at 530 kms. It was well worth it as the meals and accommodations were supreme. Part of the trail in there was the only skimpy snow we came across.

Day 4. Was a beautiful sunny day from Balbuzzard to Kanawata at 343 km with lunch stop in Parent at the Central. It was a chilly start but became a very comfortable -8 Celsius.

Day 5. The last leg of your journey found us on an overcast and slightly snowy day. It is 300 km back to Shawinigan and we got in early and loaded up and headed back to Ontario with stop for a great pizza at the Esso station on the way out of Shawinagan.

Overall it was a great trip with great friends and fantastic riding! Finally made it to Chibougamau after many years of riding in Quebec end it was well worth it.

I did a loop to Chibougamau for my first time in March 2015. It was a great five-day loop out of Shawinagan and the trails for the most part were in very good condition. There was four of us with an even split between Cats and Doos.

Day 1. The first day was from Shawinigan to Roberval at 445 km, Great conditions.

Day 2. Was from Roberval to Chibougamau at 338 km. It was a great day with premium conditions and a beautiful trail.

Day 3. As luck would have it coming out of Chibougamau happened to be the coldest day of our trip at -25°C. The ride down the rail line was chilly to say the least. We pushed all the way to Balbuzzard nonetheless, at 530 kms. It was well worth it as the meals and accommodations were supreme. Part of the trail in there was the only skimpy snow we came across.

Day 4. Was a beautiful sunny day from Balbuzzard to Kanawata at 343 km with lunch stop in Parent at the Central. It was a chilly start but became a very comfortable -8 Celsius.

Day 5. The last leg of your journey found us on an overcast and slightly snowy day. It is 300 km back to Shawinigan and we got in early and loaded up and headed back to Ontario with stop for a great pizza at the Esso station on the way out of Shawinagan.

Overall it was a great trip with great friends and fantastic riding! Finally made it to Chibougamau after many years of riding in Quebec end it was well worth it.

What was the date when you went from Roberval to Chib? We attempted the same around March 16th I believe and about 30 miles from La Dore the trail had about 2 foot of water coming across it so we had to turn around. Then we headed towards Tadoussac and the trail was all brown about 3 miles from the ferry so we had to turn around again ! On a bright note though we had a snow storm the next day in Jonquiere and so it was good down to La Tuque.