How The West was Won. AA B ta B

iceman

Sunday 22 Feb

Trucked West from Relais Iceman. 400 miles door to door.

Sitting pretty in the heart of it all at Forestel in Val d'Or.

Gonna spend five-six days out here and burn some gas.

Planning on the long way around to Matagami Tmmrw.

Stay Tuned.

Warm my Ass.

Day 1 Monday

Sleds were in no mood to get going this morning. Ours were not the only stubborn ones. About 20 sleds at Hotel and 5 started without help this AM. All makes, the cold did not discriminate. We helped others and waited for the Yamaha to warm up on the plug in. And had to thaw out the Ski Doo Battery. Would not jump until we warmed it up. Apex battery weak too, but after warming engine the jump box got it going.

Needless to say a late late start. Left Val d'Or around 11:30am. It was still wicked cold.

Headed out on 83 with a new plan of attack, Matagami is off for now.

near Val d'Or town rough not groomed in a while from town to the 83.

83 was better for sure and very sweet.

Took 83 to the 309 and found that not so bad as well

Continued on to the 93 and found freshly groomed trail laying first tracks. Nice. Took gas in Amos and headed on west on 93 toward La Sarre. Caught the groomer about 50 miles from La Sarre but was still a great trail. Pulled into gas at La Sarre at 3:15 pm then on to Villa mon Repos. Sleds put to bed in heated garage we will have none of that nonsense tmmrw.

140 miles half a day.

Edited by iceman

Leaving Thurs early AM from Shawinigan. With some luck we should be in the area for the weekend! Warming trend in the forecast......

Have a great ride.

We seem to always miss the warming trends this year.

We just got off the big orange circle above Forestville. My gauge was showing -11F. Ice in the mask. It's cold in paradise.

Hi Jim, it sure is buddy, hope Gemma is all plugged in and feeling comfy.

Have a great ride.

Love them oranges near Forrestville and Baie Comeau. They are so sweet.

Day 2

Warmer Today with the snow but wind makes it a bit chilly for sure.

Had a nice stay at Villa Mon Repos in La Sarre. Sleds were nice and happy happy in the heated garage. Chatted it up with 2 big groups from Ontario. Nice guys. Was talking with one group and they started with the..."Ontario has the best Snowmobile trails in all of Canada"

I simply said "then what are you doing here, I see an awful lot of Ontario guys and gals riding in Quebec" . They had no response.

Any who....

No big rush today. Left hotel around 9:30am and we started our bingo run of Orange local loops all around and up above La Sarre. Super sweet. Despite the light snow and wind making some places a real whiteout, that would be the way it was all day. Flat light a bit drifted here and there and windy but hey that is snowmobiling. Spent 3 hours zipping around up down and back and forth on the Orange trails. Then decided to head down 93 to Royun Noranda. 93 super fast. Arrived there and bypassed the vile on an Orange trail that took us across to 83. 83 also super, no let downs today the west did provide. 83 to cut across orange and into Pressiac. Then on to the fresh groomed 307 and a fast run up to 93 and on into Amos.

Sitting happy again at Amosphere. Sleds put to bed in heated garage again, nice.

All is well.

240 miles

Here at 4:15pm.

Edited by iceman

Day 3

No worries and no hurry this AM.

Left hotel at 9:30.

Took 93 to the 307. All beautiful.

307 and connected to 396 direction Matagami.

396 was frosted with a fresh 2" of snow and simply Delicious. Thank you please come again. We will. Super A+++++ conditions all the way to Mayagami. Arrived there at 12:30pm. Took the gas and 10 minutes of heat in Gas Station and we are off.

396 south just as beautiful as the first half. Happy Happy. Cruised on down to Lebel sur Quvillion and same deal gas and a warm up. Left out of there at 3pm headed to Seneterre on the rocket fast 93. Cruised into town at 4:15.

All trails superb.

Headed to Ski Doo to search out a possible garage to put the sleds in. No luck there but the did make some calls and found us a place but they wanted $50 for 2 sleds. Yeah thanks but no.

Met NOWA at Ski Doo with his friend they were moving on east they said they were shooting for Clova. Godspeed boys.

Stick a fork in us cause we are done for today.

At Motel Bel Villa. Nice and warm inside.

All is good.

270 miles today.

Nice guys. Was talking with one group and they started with the..."Ontario has the best Snowmobile trails in all of Canada"

I simply said "then what are you doing here, I see an awful lot of Ontario guys and gals riding in Quebec" . They had no response.

Thats funny! we hooked up with 4 guys from Ontario a month ago for part of one day. At lunch there was another group of Americans there and they were asking them about Ontario's trail system and how they wanted to ride there. The group from Ontario said "why would you want to go there when you are here. Quebec has it all"

Thats funny! we hooked up with 4 guys from Ontario a month ago for part of one day. At lunch there was another group of Americans there and they were asking them about Ontario's trail system and how they wanted to ride there. The group from Ontario said "why would you want to go there when you are here. Quebec has it all"

Exactly. Right On.

Day 2

Warmer Today with the snow but wind makes it a bit chilly for sure.

Had a nice stay at Villa Mon Repos in La Sarre. Sleds were nice and happy happy in the heated garage. Chatted it up with 2 big groups from Ontario. Nice guys. Was talking with one group and they started with the..."Ontario has the best Snowmobile trails in all of Canada"

Any who....

No big rush today. Left hotel around 9:30am and we started our bingo run of Orange local loops all around and up above La Sarre. Super sweet. Despite the light snow and wind making some places a real whiteout, that would be the way it was all day. Flat light a bit drifted here and there and windy but hey that is snowmobiling. Spent 3 hours zipping around up down and back and forth on the Orange trails. Then decided to head down 93 to Royun Noranda. 93 super fast. Arrived there and bypassed the vile on an Orange trail that took us across to 83. 83 also super, no let downs today the west did provide. 83 to cut across orange and into Pressiac. Then on to the fresh groomed 307 and a fast run up to 93 and on into Amos.

Sitting happy again at Amosphere. Sleds put to bed in heated garage again, nice.

All is well.

240 miles

Here at 4:15pm.

I am an Ontario guy and reading your post made me ask the same question, why are you here there... I love Northern ON & Quebec.

Where's the heated garage at Villa Mon Repos? Stayed there a number of time, as recent as the winter before last and I don't recall the heated garage?

VMR and Amosphere are both great places. Like them both.

I am an Ontario guy and reading your post made me ask the same question, why are you here there... I love Northern ON & Quebec.

Where's the heated garage at Villa Mon Repos? Stayed there a number of time, as recent as the winter before last and I don't recall the heated garage?

VMR and Amosphere are both great places. Like them both.

Might be new this year. Is across the street from hotel. Not included and first come first serve to get in. Like 10$ per sled all in.

Day 4

A brisk -35c this am in Seneterre.

However good news is Apex was on the coolant heater all night. And fired right up.

Despite having taken the e-Tec battery inside it still needed a assist from the jump box but literally started very easily with the booster on.

83 east out of Seneterre to the right turn on Orange trail back to 386 and up into Louvincourt. All super. Stopped for early lunch there in Louvincourt and topped off the gas. Then off again.

The rest of today was a bingo day with an assortment of Orange trails and Green stitched together with purpose to cover the most ground.

We looped up over down back etc etc etc. I won't bore you with all the numbers and details.

Super day bright blue sky but cold. Oh well.

215 miles today. Good enough for me.

Ice, are you guys using one of these new mini jumpers? This one is the size of 2 packs of cigs. In carry case the size of a automobile owners manual. It has 300 cold cranking amps and will start a truck with dead battery. This is a AllStart 550.

post-64-0-45054500-1424997228_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-08432900-1424997238_thumb.jpg

Ice, are you guys using one of these new mini jumpers? This one is the size of 2 packs of cigs. In carry case the size of a automobile owners manual. It has 300 cold cranking amps and will start a truck with dead battery. This is a AllStart 550.

We have a Geunis GB30 with us. Same like yours small 400 cranking amps. It Did not function Day 1. Showed full charge and was not working. Came right out of a warm hotel room too was not out in cold before we tried it. Today others at Seneterre had the jump box from hotel outside so I grabbed that it was right there for the E-Tec.

Gonna see tmmrw if we need it tmmrw we will try it again.

Thinking it could be defective it is brand new.

Edited by iceman