Gaspesien Adventures

Second 2 smoke down for the count. Zero compression in one cylinder.

Florida Snowman going solo.

Lost 2 riding partners & my ride back to NY.

Mental note to self: NEVER go to QC without your OWN truck again!

Snowmobiling is ALWAYS an adventure!

Edited by Florida Snowman

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully someone at the Gathering has a slot for an extra sled and an empty seat in their truck. Don't think our slot/seat would help since we would only get you as far as Vermont.

Sorry for Michael but he did get some good riding in before the loss. Makes a short season shorter.

No bodily injuries in this so "all's well that ends well".

Day 5

March 11

Woke up in Matane to light rain & 36*F. Quality Inn was a great place to stay. Fantastic dinner & an abundant buffet breakfast which was included in the room price. Will definitely be back. Michael was at the SkiDoo dealer at 8:00am when they opened. Mechanic came in at 9:00am & quickly issued the patient a death certificate. A ride to Michael's truck in Levis was arranged so he could come back with his truck & pick up his dead horse & mosey on home to his NH dealer. 4 hours to Levis & 4 hours back to Matane. Fun sport eh? I saddled up my horse & left at 11:00am & the rain stopped right then! Skies cleared & the winds were gale force all day but the sun was shining bright & temps were in the mid 30's all day. Was planning to ride to Carlton on the south shore but shortly after getting gas in Pointe-a-la-Croix I noticed snow levels beginning to thin so I changed destinations & headed north up to Amqui. Fun day of riding & trails were in great shape. The warm up & this mornings rain softened up things but if the groomers get out tonight with the temps dropping to 10*F overnight things are looking good going forward for the next week.

226 miles

Very sorry for the 2 horses died in combat and their poor riders. :sorry:

I love your handsome real time reports and pics Snowman, it's like following a good tv serie or film we can't wait to see the next chapter!

We too had slept at Quality Inn in Matane last week after having take the ferry from Baie-Comeau, very nice spot with good meals :good:

Get the best of your time there and take care :drinks:

Alain

Are you staying up for the Gathering??

Hi Steven,

I'm hoping to be at the gathering Friday night. I'm in Amqui at the Selectotel now. Still trying to firm up my travel plans back to my truck in Saugerties NY. My sled needs to be in Trois Rivieres by Sunday evening. Problems. Problems. Problems. LOL

I'm taking it one day at a time & enjoying the journey. The joy is in the journey not the destination!

When are you arriving in Amqui?

Best,

Tom

Very sorry for the 2 horses died in combat and their poor riders. :sorry:

I love your handsome real time reports and pics Snowman, it's like following a good tv serie or film we can't wait to see the next chapter!

We too had slept at Quality Inn in Matane last week after having take the ferry from Baie-Comeau, very nice spot with good meals :good:

Get the best of your time there and take care :drinks:

Alain

Thanks Alain! I'm learning from your excellent detailed reports! When I'm home & at work I live vicariously thru others doing what I have great passion for. SNOWMOBILING IN QUEBEC! It helps to pass the time when others share real time reports of their sled trips. Definitely takes effort to post but I must remember how much I enjoy reading other people's reports.

Best,

Tom

he might as well stay, has no ride home !!!! I,l take you as far as mass next week . hope to see you Friday ed

Hey Eddie!

Is Dave coming with you? I miss you boys!

Get here Friday night as I think I need to blast out of Amqui Saturday morning.

Safe travels,

Tom

Good Luck Snowman! If your going yo ride solo, this is the time of year to do it.....

Regardless of the issues, looks like your having a blast!

You're so right BJ. Longer days & milder temps set up for great riding fun!

Sorry about your breakdown last week in Matagami. That was a LONG ride back in to Shawinigan on the black trail for sure. Hope your dealer gets it all repaired under warranty.

Let's get a ride in together next year!

Tom

hi tom !!!

great pics in all your posts!!

the ones of today with big clouds ...woooWWW !!

big clouds behind clubhouse and the one in the field.....super !!!

on my way to bed shortly....hope to be on tq 5 by 4 am !!!

jean-guy

Day 6

March 12

"Getting it done"

When parking my sled yesterday afternoon in Amqui I met fellow QR Ken (vt_bluyamaha54) & his friend Scott! Always good to see fellow forum members out in sled heaven. We had breakfast together this morning & solved all the worlds problems in 30 minutes! LOL

After breakfast we decided to ride together for a little while & pulled out late at 9:30am. They were heading to Cabano & I decided to head towards RDL as my truck ride home was driving up to Levis today for a 3 day ride. So sad to miss the gathering as planned but getting back to NYC work on Monday is mandatory. Next year! Enjoy everyone! After 50 miles we went on our merry separate ways. Nice meeting you both! Hope to see you again in PQ next year!

The weather continued to clear to sunny & party cloudy skies. Just a great day for riding! I got myself into a zone & decided Amqui to Levis was completely doable today. Trails we a little crusty in places from yesterday's light morning rain but groomed smooth. Trails are very thin between Trois Pistoles & RDL in the fields. Blown to dirt in places but completely passable. Another warmup & beware. I had a little clutch noise this morning for the first 10 minutes but then it went away. All was good for the day until about 20 miles before Montmagny. I was passing the Yamaha dealer in Montmagny at 4:45pm before they were going to close for the night and decided to have it looked at so the next 2-3 days of my trip won't be interrupted. They pulled it right in & will service it at 9:00am tomorrow. That terminated my idea of making it to Bernieres to meet up with Scorpionbowl Gary & Marty today.

Great day of riding.

335 miles

Day 7

March 13

Had a great dinner last night & breakfast this morning at L'Oiseliere in Montmagny. Comfy place for sure. Dealer determined that my sled had a defective shaft seal and was leaking oil. Seems that when I blew my first belt at 8600 miles some fibre was wound around the shaft & with time caused seal failure. Had trouble locating the exact replacement. Found out from my dealer in Trois-Rivieres that the RX-1 used the exact same seal dimensions. Problem solved. Replaced seal & adjusted drive chain tension. All good!

Left Montmagny at 1:30pm & headed back east to meet up with Gary (Scorpionbowl) & Marty who had started a 4-day loop. Met them at a Relais & continued on to RDL & Hotel Levesque. Didn't even recognize the place. Hadn't been here in over 7 years & what a huge renovation they have done. Had a great dinner & a cozy sleep in a great bed. Off to breakfast now & another day of riding in paradise!

140 miles

Day 8

March 14

Left RDL under sunny skies & 9*F. Another picture perfect day of riding. The motoneige gods have been providing big time! Took 85 south to Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha! & picked up 548. Got gas in Squatec & took 546 to 548 to 5 to 579 to 587 to Amqui. Wanted to avoid trail 5 between Trois-Pistoles & RDL as I rode that 2 days ago & it was thin in spots. Trails were good to excellent & saw quite a few sleds out there. Then again today is Saturday. Glad I was able to get back to Amqui for the gathering! Looking forward to seeing everyone.

214 miles

Day 9

March 15

Had a wonderful visit with lots of fellow QuebecRiders last evening in Amqui. Was great to see everyone & share stories of this sport we all love so much. Safe travels everyone!

Left Amqui under mostly cloudy skies & 16*F & rode trail 5 back west yet once again! Was planning to go to Montmagny. About 1 hour before getting to RDL the wind picked up big time & blowing snow started whiteout conditions. We decided to stop in RDL & checked into Hotel Levesque at 3:00pm. After unloading & showering, of course the sun came out & it would have been perfect to have rode another 3-4 hours. Oh well. Gonna leave before breakfast tomorrow. Ride sleds to Levis & drive truck to my truck in Saugerties & then home to NJ. Long day ahead.

227 miles

What a motley crew!!! What are Eric & Jim doing on that end of the Peninsula? Thought they would be far East by now...

Never mind that was breakfast at Select.

Edited by Phil 1