St-Zenon/Parent photo ride report 21-22 march 2015

towing

It's almost become a tradition for us to go on a weekend ride to Parent near the end of the season. Here is the path we have traveled this weekend along with our riding partners Steph and Snowcruiser:

carte_zpsccpgm6tt.jpg

Day # 1

Saturday morning -4°C, it's under a cloudy sky with some snow we left the Glacière in St-Zenon with our buddy Steph. Not good conditions for pictures, too gray, but great to ride!

DSC07199_zpsxojzyqde.jpg

We passed through the village of St-Zenon, here trail #63 just next to the village

DSC07201_zpsphnzeilj.jpg

And went to join our buddy Snowcruiser at Cabanon

DSC07204_zpsfxop55an.jpg

We had continued on the trail #63 toward St-Michel des Saints (as seen here in the distance)

DSC07208_zpsvr2sf1r8.jpg

And we took the shortcut directly on the Taureau reservoir to the Auberge. Yep, hills on a lake!

DSC07210_zpswzpbkgwd.jpg

The level of the reservoir is already very low and we had to be very careful because of poor visibility with this gray and drop-offs are common.

DSC07216_zpsfdsoek8c.jpg

Here near the Taureau lake Auberge

DSC07217_zpstca9j1l0.jpg

We took the #33 trail that run along the Lake beach, a point where we can see how much the reservoir level is low

DSC07221_zpsn6nru1j8.jpg

We had continued, quit the lake shore and rode the #33 north. All the trails were freshly groomed but the snow was rather soft. Here on the section where the #33 goes directly on Villiers Lake

DSC07224_zpsjwmvgucw.jpg

We arrived early, around 11:40 at the Pourvoirie du lac Repos. There was already much people and a big line-up to refuel so we opted to eat before. It was a good choice because the dining room was not very busy yet and the service was fast and excellent.

DSC07226_zpspxodpxpm.jpg

But the line-up for the gas was still there so we had to wait our turn ...

DSC07230_zpshwk9hzpj.jpg

We finally hit back the trail #345 north at 1:00 pm. The weather was mild and the snow that taking over again stuck to the windshield

DSC07233_zpsgqpldfwr.jpg

The temperature dropped suddenly while we were riding, it was a little warm and it goes to deep cold in just few miles slush froze hard in my windshield and I had to do with it for the rest of the trip ... Here on a break near the road.

DSCN2926_zpsvxj3tvrm.jpg

We had quickly arrived at the pourvoirie Kanawata where we refueled to be ok to go directly to Parent. The Auberge was open but had closed on Sunday for the accommodation/food but they still serve fuel for those who would like to go through this area in the coming weeks

DSC07235_zpsz8uooi0e.jpg

The trail #345 north from there is a real highway, groomed wide and very fast. So we kept a good pace and we arrived near the end where there is a short bypass trail on a few miles that was made this year because that portion of the forest road was plowed for wood transport this winter

DSC07239_zps5luluihk.jpg

They did a great job on this bypass, the trail is wide and pretty straight. We had quickly reach the #83 that we took westwards towards Parent

DSC07240_zpsvuvk04fb.jpg

It begin to snow more heavily and it starts to accumulate on the trail

DSC07241_zpsuoul5e0b.jpg

We had to keep a bit more distance between sleds because of the snow keeping in the air

DSC07242_zpsfgf7i0yi.jpg

And to pay attention to snow blades...

DSC07243_zpsd2qurg0z.jpg

A bit before Parent, the snow decrease and we even begin to see the sun

DSC07246_zpspnldiosy.jpg

We arrived at Parent and took our cottage at l'Ombre du Vent at 5:45 p.m.

DSC07250_zpssjd2xcqv.jpg

We then return to the village for our supper. Here's a pic try for a sunset shot ... not so successful with the green Jetta and container!

DSCN2929_zpsrsggrma6.jpg

And here our 2 riding partners near the gaz station of the village

DSC07264_zpsn4a0h0ld.jpg

We tried a new place for supper, the little inn le Coureur des Bois... A small place where we were warmly received and had very good meal, we will surely return. We then returned to enjoy the cottage for the rest of the evening ... A true good snowmobile day.

Second part coming soon...

Le Coureur des Bois.........has that place reopened? Boy does that place bring back memories, stayed there back in the '90,s when there was a ballet across the street, ya that's right a ballet in Parent, Grumpysanta can confirm......l'Ombre a much nicer place Alain.

As usual nice pics Alain, I hope there is another 2 weeks left up there to ride, would like to get another chance out there.

Can't wait for part II

I have been there and stayed there but woke up to minus 50 in the am. But the food was good. ! Beds not so much! Looks like you had a great time towing...we just finished a week in the gaspe and even got out local on last Sunday and trains were great out to Dalhousie. Time to look into atrade for 2016.

Day #2

Sunday morning -23°C in the sun, in preparation for the start ...

DSCN2930_zpsaky1l6aj.jpg

Trail #83 has been moved this year, instead of passing on Mauser Lake it go round on a new path that goes over the mountain starting from Parent

DSC07282_zpskkdnmhv2.jpg

Trail is wide with good visibility really fun to ride.

DSC07285_zpsqnmrjc6s.jpg

Here at the beginning of #13 trail that we took southward

DSC07288_zpslvawqdtl.jpg

It's a wooded trail that runs along a river on a long distance, very nice

DSC07292_zps4xdmatc5.jpg

We took a first small break after an hour of riding

DSC07295_zpsyqljp9yi.jpg

We then continue and eventually got in the twisties section of this path, The 20 miles just north from pourvoirie des Cents Lacs. It's a more narrow and winding section that contrasts with the rest of the trails in this area.

We stop at 10:45 to refuel at pourvoirie des Cents Lacs

DSC07298_zpsc516c0ew.jpg

We then continue south

DSC07305_zpszcjq63nc.jpg

We then pass Lunic relay

DSC07307_zpsca67hbae.jpg

Pretty nice collection! ... seems that there are more each years we pass there

DSC07308_zpsaw0xahab.jpg

And we switched a little further on the #33 to the east. This section is wide and very fast and we made a good distance in a short time.

DSC07309_zpsqw5pevcs.jpg

The few 10-15 miles before reaching the Manouane are somewhat winding but still good. We come to eat at the only food stop of the village at 12:40. Basic but it was good.

DSC07310_zps1c067ayd.jpg

We fuel-up and I pass take a look at the new inn built last summer there. It's actually accomodation and breakfast only but they may have complete meal service next season... would be nice

DSC07314_zpsrkrcnmf3.jpg

We then rode the #33 up to the Repos and then #345 trail to return to the south. This section was a little more bumpy but ok

DSC07318_zpsvf6yjeff.jpg

A little break along the trail

DSC07319_zpscdfdcyt6.jpg

We then continue to the #360 junction. from there it was probably regroomed Saturday night. Then we continued the #345

DSC07321_zpsymy1h4el.jpg

And cross the Mattawin river

DSC07326_zpsirjdwaxf.jpg

Even we were expecting it, we made a step when we crossed the dozer. Not had time to take a picture but we were on a freshly groomed section up to Cabanon

DSC07335_zpsig11ic2e.jpg

I took a bit of fuel to be sure to get to my starting point.

Here 2 wrecks sleds in the court there that reminds us how impacts are violent and destructive, and to be careful ... release the throttle a little bit and keep leeway slightly larger .. . and even with that we sometimes have surprises but it make a difference.

We leave Snowcruiser which started from there and follow the #23/350 with Steph to return

DSCN2934_zps2yh2oovt.jpg

We finally reach our starting point at 5:45 p.m. with a total of 521 miles for the 2 days.

In short, a lot of snow in the north. L'alliance du nord snowmobile club still grooming and when I asked at Cabanon they told me the Royaume Club will groom for an other week sure and adjust to the conditions after..

It is hard to predict how long we have ahead but it's still very nice at the moment and grooming keep on...let's enjoy!

DSC07342_zpsvaspd0d9.jpg

A big thank you to my two riding partners without whom this kind of trip would not be possible for us, two experienced sledders with whom we always have a good time at each of our ride with them, it's also that the winter sledding fun!

Alain

great pictures

Thanks !

Le Coureur des Bois.........has that place reopened? Boy does that place bring back memories, stayed there back in the '90,s when there was a ballet across the street, ya that's right a ballet in Parent, Grumpysanta can confirm......l'Ombre a much nicer place Alain.

As usual nice pics Alain, I hope there is another 2 weeks left up there to ride, would like to get another chance out there.

Can't wait for part II

It's probably the same place, seems a bit old but the food and service was really good, a notch up the bunch... L'Ombre du Vent is a nice spot for sure.

May be our last one this next saturday because we already know we won't ride 4-5 april... can't believe we are already there...

I have been there and stayed there but woke up to minus 50 in the am. But the food was good. ! Beds not so much! Looks like you had a great time towing...we just finished a week in the gaspe and even got out local on last Sunday and trains were great out to Dalhousie. Time to look into atrade for 2016.

It's a bit weird that with some lean conditions in the beginning and no real bigs snow drops unless the last we would finally get a longer season than many others...

For the trade, it may be a good time of the year if you are not searching a specific 2016 model... bought mine last spring and near steal it ($$$)

Thanks for all the info and pics!! We're headed up tonight to Shawinigan to run up to Barrage Gouin in the morning. Hoping this warm and rain stops SOON!

First class report and pictures.

Thank you doonali

Thanks for all the info and pics!! We're headed up tonight to Shawinigan to run up to Barrage Gouin in the morning. Hoping this warm and rain stops SOON!

You are welcome dave , the warm up had give a good hit here in the south but l'm sure it's still ok up north. You may be on the line a bit in Shawi to come back?

I will be on the trails tomorroy for sure.

Wonderful report as always. We were in the area 3-12 thru 3-19 and the most snow was in the hills north of LaTuque and North of the sawmill on the 93 towards Chibougamau, but we encountered a large open water area on the trail that forced us to turn around before we could reach Chibougamau, and there was no going around it so instead of risking damage to a sled or us we had to back track and head towards Tadoussac.

Wonderful report as always. We were in the area 3-12 thru 3-19 and the most snow was in the hills north of LaTuque and North of the sawmill on the 93 towards Chibougamau, but we encountered a large open water area on the trail that forced us to turn around before we could reach Chibougamau, and there was no going around it so instead of risking damage to a sled or us we had to back track and head towards Tadoussac.

Tank you Pipeman! It was safer to headback but not always easy to change the plans...always an adventure they say!

Just wondering if anyone knows if they are still grooming. I would like to do this loop wednesday april 1st

I know from the trail condition web site that they had regroomed all the trails for this weekend (28-29).

http://snowmobilecountry.ca/en/conditions

At this point with the low circulation up there I think it is good to go... a couple years ago I had took a chance after they told me last groom pass 2 weeks ago and I saw 2 bumps in the whole ride!

more important you have to check if the outfitters are open or not. A trustworthy poster on cmiq had just posted that he will get there next week on that post

http://www.motoneigeauquebec.com/forum/showthread.php?183253-Derni%E8re-chance-avant-la-fermeture-de-plusieurs-pourvoiries

In short, he wrote that he will going to sleep at Gouin on next Tuesday and he know that Pouvoirie Lac Repos will close on wednesday 1rst april. The #33 have been groomed this week end and the 345 by Mario from kanawata the weekend 21-22march

He will comeback throught Parent by the #13 trail that should be groom on this next Monday or Tuesday by Benoit of Fer a Cheval pourvoirie because they need to bring back the groomer to Parent before the thaw preview on next Thursday.

He will sleep at Pourvoirie Fer a Cheval because Pourvoirie des cents Lacs was closing today 29 march. He will coming back home on Thursday throught Manouane and #33 trail to St-Michel

Hope this help...

Edited by towing