Quebec Sleds Registration

fredsleds

We are thinking about buying a cabin in Quebec. Spend summers there and part of the winter sledding. We're from the US and would bring our sleds and keep them in Quebec basically forever. When we replace them would buy/sell them in Quebec.

So, my question is, how does one go about registering a sled from the US in Quebec. I think we would also need to get a Canadian title so that everything would be legal when you sell them..

Also, does any one know how Canadian sled insurance rates compare to the US?

Thanks!!

fred don't know any of those answers, but sleds are quite a bit more expensive in QC. If you have a USA addy buy in USA register in home state and buy a QC pass...

Edited by Phil 1

We are thinking about buying a cabin in Quebec. Spend summers there and part of the winter sledding. We're from the US and would bring our sleds and keep them in Quebec basically forever. When we replace them would buy/sell them in Quebec.

So, my question is, how does one go about registering a sled from the US in Quebec. I think we would also need to get a Canadian title so that everything would be legal when you sell them..

Also, does any one know how Canadian sled insurance rates compare to the US?

Thanks!!

X'2 on Phil's reply..The sled will be titled when you purchase it and I know of ppl. that have traded sleds and been on there way during the same trip. In with a blow or wrecked machine and out with a shiny new one.

Edited by doonali

With today's currency rate, an American buying a sled in Canada is roughly similar in net, out of pocket US dollars (using 2016 MSRPs in respective currencies). That is before sales tax, and I don't know the sales tax rate on a sled in QB....but obviously its 6% in PA.

The other consideration is selling/trading a sled in Canada, that was originally purchased in the US.....not sure if there any implications for taxes in that scenario.

Probably the cleanest approach is sell/trade a sled in the country it was originally purchased.

Otherwise, hopefully a dealer in QB can answer some of the unknown's regarding issues/taxes/titles etc....

If you're driving/riding a vehicule that has a Quebec registration in your name, there must be a Quebec address on that registration and you must have a valid Quebec drivers licence with the matching address, it's important the addresses match or there'll be hefty fines.

Otherwise Quebecers would register their cars in Ontario for a meer fraction of what it costs in Quebec, addresses must match.

Not much cheaper anymore to reg a vehicle ! Prices went up large last year.

If you're driving/riding a vehicule that has a Quebec registration in your name, there must be a Quebec address on that registration and you must have a valid Quebec drivers licence with the matching address, it's important the addresses match or there'll be hefty fines.

Otherwise Quebecers would register their cars in Ontario for a meer fraction of what it costs in Quebec, addresses must match.

Thanks for the advise. It seems like the best thing to do is to keep the registration in the US. Not going to get a QC drivers license.