Trailer axle replacement

FCL

Need to replace Tie Down Engineering 2200 lb axle on Worthington 2 place trailer. Been told to use a larger 2990 lb axle made by Dexter, old axle out of alignment cuffs inside of tires off. Anyone have any experience with this problem and what axle to use.

I had a Triton, a 1999, two place, and the axel had an arch to it that made the tire wear one side of the tread. The idea was, as the Triton Dealer said, to flex under load and the tires would level out.

How many miles on the tires/trailer?

GutZ

Have you considered having Worthington in Montoursville, PA put a new axle on your trailer? Maybe you can negotiate some type of prorated price since you haven't had trailer that long?

I have a Worthington two place tilt trailer myself.

I strongly suggest paying up for a hot dipped galvanized axle, not painted. Nothing worse that rust especially on the components underneath in the salt/spray blast area.

Agree 100% On Galvanized. This is the alternative. Axle came right off trailer in middle of Montreal!

post-64-0-64837300-1428056392_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-66440200-1428056408_thumb.jpg

we lost 2 Dexter axles on a 2 yr old Pro Line ! First one was just south of Albany, we took off opposite tire from bad axle and move load forward as much as we could.Decided to head back to Long Island and swap trailers. Got to the Bronx and lost the other axle ! Flat bed off 95, then another flat bed to my shop to swap trailers. Moved sleds and our gear to my trailer headed North. It ended up taking us 28 hours to finally get to Rivier du Loop at 6;30 AM. Took a nap and left hotel at 1:30 in the afternoon. This was my first trip to Gaspe, and won't be my last !!

The middle of Montreal sounds like a very bad place for an axle to come off!! Especially when your profile says you are from Western New York.

We were very fortunate THIS TIME. It happened right after we got thru the raised highway 40 Quest near Dorval Airport. (No exits). Called for a flatbed and the driver took us to a trailer (Semi-truck) repair shop. They got right on it while we went for new tires. Were on the road again in 4 hours minus $700. I posted these back in 2008. Got caught in a pileup in Watertown. Funny thing is we salvaged the Galvanized axle on that trailer and now it is going on the current trailer. The last picture Cracks me up. It is my buddy looking at what was left of the trailer, sleds, and all our gear when we first exited the truck after getting hit.

post-64-0-61032500-1428069403_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-09332200-1428069439_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-42795900-1428069486_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-67667500-1428069507_thumb.jpg

Edited by Snobeeler

we lost 2 Dexter axles on a 2 yr old Pro Line ! First one was just south of Albany, we took off opposite tire from bad axle and move load forward as much as we could.Decided to head back to Long Island and swap trailers. Got to the Bronx and lost the other axle ! Flat bed off 95, then another flat bed to my shop to swap trailers. Moved sleds and our gear to my trailer headed North. It ended up taking us 28 hours to finally get to Rivier du Loop at 6;30 AM. Took a nap and left hotel at 1:30 in the afternoon. This was my first trip to Gaspe, and won't be my last !!

Pro Line is pretty good about standing behind their stuff. Did you approach Tom to see what he would do for you?

I honestly don't know why anyone still manufactures aluminum trailers w/painted steel axels. Beyond the simple rust problem is the galvanic corrosion issue as a result of the dissimilar metals which is accelerated by the presence of road salt.

I replaced my Dexter axles a few years ago. There were some cracks near the mounting flanges & Dexter stood behind them. I was right the end of the 5 year warranty.

It was still a big job since I had to transfer my brakes, hubs etc. Looking back I should have asked for galvanized axles & paid the difference.

Dexter claimed the cracks were because Rance used a material that was about an 1/8th thick between the steel axle & aluminum frame to avoid contact between the dissimilar metals. They suggested using something thin like duct tape.

Pro Line is pretty good about standing behind their stuff. Did you approach Tom to see what he would do for you?

I honestly don't know why anyone still manufactures aluminum trailers w/painted steel axels. Beyond the simple rust problem is the galvanic corrosion issue as a result of the dissimilar metals which is accelerated by the presence of road salt.

My buddy called and they were great,both Proline and Dexter. He got 2 new axles and tires with rims . They were willing to have it fixed however that would mean another flat bed to get to repair shop. We managed to get it all back together and on the road in 2 1/2 hrs once we got the parts. My buddy was real happy with their response

What went bad on the axles? Two years is crazzzzzzzy!!!!

My four place snow pro has Dexter axles. They have a crown in the main tube like post above states. The trailer eats tires. I carry four in trailer. If I keep the trailer it is getting galvanized axles. Changing a flat at night in the cold sucks

I agree. There is probably not a snowmobile trailer made with painted axles today, just saying to beware of replacement parts. I have a 1-place Flow ATV trailer that came with a galvanized axle when it was new 10 years ago. Replacement from Floe came painted black, not galvanized. Also the local trailer shop was pushing aftermarket painted axles.

Snobeeler, did the rubber in the tube give out, or did some metal break? Looks in tact, just low riding.

One tip I found over the years regarding trailer axles and springs that are not galvanized is to spray paint them with cold galvanize in a spray can. I've done this with my dexter torsion axles in my previous clamshell which lasted for years and when I sold it it looked almost new.

The trailer manufacturers are just getting on board with the galvanized axle thing as just about all your rust collects on the axles and springs if you have any.

You can buy those spray cans just about any hardware store and it contains about 90% galvanizing compound inside.

I just bought a 7x14 inline with leaf springs and steel axles.As soon as it turns warm they will get the galvanize treatment. Once you do it a couple times it will stay for years. Best time to get it done is before the salt hits it .

Hope this helps, Teamgreen

I agree. There is probably not a snowmobile trailer made with painted axles today, just saying to beware of replacement parts. I have a 1-place Flow ATV trailer that came with a galvanized axle when it was new 10 years ago. Replacement from Floe came painted black, not galvanized. Also the local trailer shop was pushing aftermarket painted axles.

Snobeeler, did the rubber in the tube give out, or did some metal break? Looks in tact, just low riding.

Moose, the welds broke where the mounting plates meet the axle. The axle came off and tires wedged at a cross member, otherwise it would have been rolling down highway 40! Plates were thin from rust. Our opinion was the torsion rubber was almost solid from sitting for a week in -20f to -40f temps. No give in suspention. Still should not have broke if plates were not rusted.

One tip I found over the years regarding trailer axles and springs that are not galvanized is to spray paint them with cold galvanize in a spray can. I've done this with my dexter torsion axles in my previous clamshell which lasted for years and when I sold it it looked almost new.

The trailer manufacturers are just getting on board with the galvanized axle thing as just about all your rust collects on the axles and springs if you have any.

You can buy those spray cans just about any hardware store and it contains about 90% galvanizing compound inside.

I just bought a 7x14 inline with leaf springs and steel axles.As soon as it turns warm they will get the galvanize treatment. Once you do it a couple times it will stay for years. Best time to get it done is before the salt hits it .

Hope this helps, Teamgreen

I use Fluid Film, sprayed on anything steel. It's essentially a petroleum-based lubricant that provides a "shell" between the painted steel and the elements. I did my axle in the fall, towed it 1100 miles since. I was just under the trailer and checked it an it's still well coated with the film. I intend to apply it at least every fall. The product also works good as a common lubricant. It's almost like a hybrid of WD40 and white lithium grease.

Can be bought in aerosol cans, or more bulk-type purchases. Bought my cans from Amazon.

post-1631-0-52947300-1428160051.jpg

That's a wild ride for sure!

Fluid film is good stuff, originally developed for ocean going vessels. It's actually lanolin based (extracted from lambs wool), not petroleum, so it's one of the few environmentally friendly coatings allowed to undercoat cars since they even banned bar and chain oil for undercoating cars in NH. It's better than a typical undercoat because it creeps, constantly, making it self healing. It's not a 1-time coating though, I recall reading it should be applied each season, YMMV.

I also like 3M Body Cavity Wax, it's a lot less messy than fluid film, and ends up like wax, not sticky like fluid film. Both are available at my local NAPA, or Amazon, both come in aerosol spray or bulk. An old Wagner Power Painter is a good applicator ;<)

Edited by NH-Moose