For the Yamaha Guys.

iceman

Valve and Pistons took a beating. I've only heard of the Apex motor going down after a turbo.

They do require a valve adjustment after so many km. Could be this one was not set correctly from the beginning.

Well good luck... At least you have warm weather over the summer to put it back together.

They do start in the cold, you need to know how to do it. Mine starts at -30 no problem. There is a trick to get them to start.

There are some pretty knowledgable and very experienced yammi riders on here (not me yet)

Please enlighten us/them on your trick?

Edited by Snobeeler

We have 7 Yammy 4 strokes in our group. That used to include an 05 Vector. The only cold start issues we ever had were weak batteries and frozen relay (2x in 8 years). When super cold IF cranking with no fire give it throttle to the bar.

Yamaha has nothing (at the present time) that lines up with the ACE900. The Vector motor (1049cc) lines up most closely with the 1200 4TEC as their HP is close to even @135-ish. ACE900 is only 90HP - so about 2/3 the Vector output.

As far as mileage, the Vector will regularly best the 1200; usually getting upper teens per gallon. ACE900 is pretty much in a class by itself as far as mileage. Always over 20 MPG is usual.

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54

My 2015 SRViper 137" that now has 1550 miles got 13.77 MPG in soft conditions and on 35 the rail bed running between 60 - 75 MPH on hard surface I got 17.29. Never will compare to a 900 ACE but I am sure it is a bit more spirited motor.

Not trying to make trouble but what is the fuel mileage comparison between the two? I know that many 900 ace owners brag about the distance per tank. Does the Yamaha compare?

I think the Yamaha engines are bullet proof and their fuel mileage is right there with other 4 strokes. The Ace are in a class by them self's when driven to get high mileage. I did go this winter on a trip with a 900 Ace around the Gaspesie where there is a a lot of up and down and on and off the throttle on corners. The Ace in these conditions were online with my 1200.

Wulsock 1 your question was on miles per tank, this is where I believe the Yamaha struggles, not due to miles/gal but due to the smaller volume their tanks can hold.

There are some pretty knowledgable and very experienced yammi riders on here (not me yet)

Please enlighten us/them on your trick?

Here's how I do it. Was in Quebec this past Jan into Feb for 2 weeks and never got above 9 degrees. Most mornings were -20 to -34 was the coldest. This is on my 2011 Apex. First make sure battery is strong. This is a must. Cycle fuel pump 3 times. Crack throttle just a pinch. Start engine and keep the key on until the stumble goes away. The engine may sound rough but keep the starter going until the engine really catches. The clutch may want to engage if you give it too much gas, so back off a little if needed. If the engine does not fire first time do the same thing again, but the most important keys are to give a pinch of throttle and don't let of the key until the engine smooths out.

Here's how I do it. Was in Quebec this past Jan into Feb for 2 weeks and never got above 9 degrees. Most mornings were -20 to -34 was the coldest. This is on my 2011 Apex. First make sure battery is strong. This is a must. Cycle fuel pump 3 times. Crack throttle just a pinch. Start engine and keep the key on until the stumble goes away. The engine may sound rough but keep the starter going until the engine really catches. The clutch may want to engage if you give it too much gas, so back off a little if needed. If the engine does not fire first time do the same thing again, but the most important keys are to give a pinch of throttle and don't let of the key until the engine smooths out.

Thats the same way you start fuel injected or carburetor cars in the cold if the car was flooded, slight throttle or full throttle when trying to start, that slows fuel supply and clears out your cylinders. The person with the most battery wins.

Jim, is that your Apex with 12k mi you're referring to? and still kicking at -34 deg??!!

Missed riding with you this winter. Keep in touch for next year.

btw, those are good tips for starting in the cold. I do: 1) Good battery. 2) spare fuel relay in your pocket. Starts every time!

If you don't hear the fuel pump cycle when you turn the key to the first position (just ON; not cranking) and your battery isn't dead, the relay is frozen. This was a known problem as moisture would freeze and keep the contacts from closing. Yamaha has resolved this with a replacement relay which is readily identified b/c it is RED instead of black. For those of you carrying an extra relay, it is no longer necessary - get the new relay!

If you don't hear the fuel pump cycle when you turn the key to the first position (just ON; not cranking) and your battery isn't dead, the relay is frozen. This was a known problem as moisture would freeze and keep the contacts from closing. Yamaha has resolved this with a replacement relay which is readily identified b/c it is RED instead of black. For those of you carrying an extra relay, it is no longer necessary - get the new relay!

Would you know the P/N for that relay vt_bluyamaha54? Or anyone else for that matter.

Edited by Trailblazer

Trailblazer,

Tried to send this to you in a PM but says you cannot receive any new messages for some reason,

For you and any other Yamaha guys who do not know this already, check out this site. Trust me you will learn alot here some very smart guys on here.

http://www.ty4stroke.com

Ice

Trailblazer,

Tried to send this to you in a PM but says you cannot receive any new messages for some reason,

For you and any other Yamaha guys who do not know this already, check out this site. Trust me you will learn alot here some very smart guys on here.

http://www.ty4stroke.com

Ice

Mailbox was full, just cleared it out.

Thanks for the that tip Ice, TY is a real informative site for very helpful information, I have been viewing this site for a few years and only have joined as a member not too long ago. A lot of smart guys yes but you've got to wean them out.

I made a post about the tunnel and rail extension I did on my sled a year and half ago.

http://ty4stroke.com/threads/136-to-144-rail-rear-axle-center-to-center-distance.122972/

I'll be doing the same when I am finished the engine rebuild. I look to the site for help it's only fair I share some of my knowledge too.

JG