Ski-Doo direct injection 600 coming soon to a dealer near you

Fred

Holy crap the fuel economy has gone from 25 mpg to 30 mpg in less than 24 hours!!! I was reading about it yesterday. I hope that this is something that will work and that 2 strokes do have a future. From what I was reading yesterday the guys with the 2 stroke e-tec (Direct Injection) outboards love them. I would be interested to see how the oiling system will work and see how the whole package is going to be. The SDIs already are sippy on fuel- I wonder if you weigh the extra cost of purchase compared to an SDI if you'll really come out ahead- I'll be kind of like paying an extra 5000$ for a Hybrid car- (5000$ will buy you a lot of gas...)

Holy crap the fuel economy has gone from 25 mpg to 30 mpg in less than 24 hours!!! I was reading about it yesterday. I hope that this is something that will work and that 2 strokes do have a future. From what I was reading yesterday the guys with the 2 stroke e-tec (Direct Injection) outboards love them. I would be interested to see how the oiling system will work and see how the whole package is going to be. The SDIs already are sippy on fuel- I wonder if you weigh the extra cost of purchase compared to an SDI if you'll really come out ahead- I'll be kind of like paying an extra 5000$ for a Hybrid car- (5000$ will buy you a lot of gas...)

price of the TNT is pretty much inline with the X and equipment wise the TNT is an X with softer suspension so I don;t think price will be too bad. I see this as being my sled for next year assuming no real issues over the rest of the winter. Boats are harder ona motor than snowmobiling given their constant operating RPM's so hoping this will be reliable for 10,000+ miles.

Last night on dootalk it was 21 mpg.... Oil ratio was in the 100:1 range, but that is now elevated as well....

It does look like a nice sled though. The questions I have are about the lubrication of the crank bearings. With only 100:1 oil going directly into the cylinder, those crank bearings are going to be prone to failure. I heard on an evinrude e-tech engine, there is some sort of system that keeps the crank lubricated. Hopefully this engine will have a similar system. Otherwise, it will be hard pressed to last 10-12k.

Time will tell.

Karl

Holy crap the fuel economy has gone from 25 mpg to 30 mpg in less than 24 hours!!!

That is me making assumptions TDI HAM. I took the info from DooTalk and figured they were talking US gallons, so I converted it to imperial or Canadian gallons.

:wacko:

SMCLELAN- No worries, I was just posting was I read yesterday- This news came out last evening on the big french quebec site (CMIQ) and it started a major flooding of comments- As the internet would prove, most of the comments were bashing and plain old crap. I have been a Polaris guy for 9 years now, but ride with Cats, Yammies, and Doos- I don't care who makes it - I go out to enjoy life with whoever who rides whatever. If DI can make the emissions "Police" realize that 2 strokes can burn clean (which most people realize can burn cleanly without DI) this might give the whole "snowmobiles polute are noisey and are not enviromentally friendly" a different outlook. Unfortunately most likely we will still lose rights of passage and be seen as poluters

and be fighting an endless battle to save the sport we all love. I've been on a sled since 1977- 31 years- I wonder what the whole snowmobile sport will look like in 2039.

Last night on dootalk it was 21 mpg.... Oil ratio was in the 100:1 range, but that is now elevated as well....

It does look like a nice sled though. The questions I have are about the lubrication of the crank bearings. With only 100:1 oil going directly into the cylinder, those crank bearings are going to be prone to failure. I heard on an evinrude e-tech engine, there is some sort of system that keeps the crank lubricated. Hopefully this engine will have a similar system. Otherwise, it will be hard pressed to last 10-12k.

Time will tell.

Karl

I do believe the lower end is completely sealed...no open crank bearings.

And it said you only have to ADD oil once a year so if you fill it back up mid way that's 2000 miles only adding once. Of course the etec oil will be $100/gallon......

it's less than $50 for the boat oil per gallon and it should be the same stuff.

The 600 DI is alive and breathing. I saw one with my own eyes. :yahoo: It is a Rotax short block with an Evinrude head on it with the DI mounted on top. It is a little quieter than the 600 SDI. Supposedly it is in the 25 mpg range :D (US gallon or Imp gallon?) and 500 km (300 miles) on a liter of "DI" oil. It is made to run on 87 octane. 118 hp is what I'm told.

There is at least one of these out there on the trails. It is yellow (of course) but has 600 SDI stickers on it. Has anyone else seen it yet?

i heard the way it works is a computer only calls for oil when it reads temps rising most of the engine inside is all coated with a ceramic type coating (like a teflon) that reduces heat by as much as 20% ? and of course this reduces friction by a large percentage to reduce oil consumption by as much as maybe 20% meaning it runs very lean on oil and gas as well they have been testing this engine in sweden and iceland? for about 3-4 years known as a lynx model so if you were in either country you might have been passed on the trails by this proto type and didnot know it.

I forgot to mention yesterday that the DI does not need a battery to operate (so I`m told). The magneto generates enough power for the DI that a battery is not necessary. If you order an electric start, a battery comes with the sled, of course, for the starter. If you don`t order electric start, you use the old pull rope and it runs off the magneto. :good:

We have had SDI's and 500SS. The SDI was suppose to be much more fuel efficient?

500SS were consistently equal if not better?

Must see to believe.........Unless they plan on putting wheels on it 30MPG IS BS.

I just got 16.4 MPG on my 05 600 SDI over a 1200 mile trip. What kind of mileage do the 500SS's get???

I have an 08 GSX 600 HO SDI on a recent trrip to PQ I checked the mileage on one tank and got 23.75 mpg (imp gal). These sleds are advertised to give 21mpg. My oil consuption was very close to what they advertised for the DI's. The manufactures realize that they need to make these machines easier on gas & oil if they expect people to ride them all winter.

• 2 weeks later...