Safari

For all you Safari guys, i am Seeing a Sold sign in front of the motel. I knew it was for sale but now says sold. Got no news of the new owner(s) will try to get some for you all.

Started a few trips from the Safari back in the day , Bernard defiantly introduced many Americans to Quebec snowmobile trails , made it easy ... feel safe it seems too.

Wish the new owners well for sure !

"Back in the Day" two of the greatest ambassadors for Quebec Snowmobiling were Bernard at the Safari and Gaetan Aubin at the Cuillere a Pot. Those guys introduced so many US snomobilers(and a shit-load of Canadians) to trails in La Belle Province. Some of you with gray hair may remember "The Devil's Tour" where Gaetan organized four other Hoteliers to set up the first loop tour through Lenaudiere, Laurentides and Outaouais. Camille at the St Michel "Sawmill", Real Masse, Crazy accordion playing Pierre at the sugar shack near Entrelacs, La Glaciere, etc, etc. All good memories!

Back in the day way cigarettes were way expensive, I enjoyed sitting in Bernard's office talking with him. I did not have to "light up" :shock:

First saddle bag trip I ever took in 95 was out of the Safari, Bernard talked me into a 275 mile trip first day, he was going to call me for trail reports on my first night, never made it to the place, 100 miles short. Sitting having a drink that night and the owner hands me the phone and says phone call for you, what! Its Bernard and he asking me only the way Bernard could ask the question, WHAT THE F*x^@! ARE DOING THERE! I told him why didn't you give me chainsaw being the first ones up that trail that season. When I got back from that trip we could not get our sleds in the trailer before we gave trail conditions, his wife did the online reports. Bernard would drop us off at the bars and come get us, first heated garage ever used, I liked that guy.

A great friend, may he rest in peace. Hope the hotel goes to a sledding future. Some of my best memories of Quebec riding. It was like having a bad uncle in Quebec, and I say that with the most respect possible.

The first time I met Bernard I walked into the lobby of the Safari and he was on the phone to some guys from NY. Basically the conversation was you are going to come to my motel and then I am taking you downtown! We are going to meet some girls and you will...... then we will go for a nice steak!

RIP Bernard

My first time to Quebec was to Bernard's Safari, he did not have room so he drove us to I believe it was a Governor in his "Bus"... He was a piece of work. R I P

Back in the day, people on HCS would chat w/Bernard the way we do here with Groomer. It was a real shock to when Bernard passed away. I know his wife Jocelyn tried to keep the Safari going but he was too tough an act to follow. He also was a guide for hunting trips and I think that is where the name of the motel came from.

The "Ring Dang Doo, now what is that? It's round and fat like a Bowler Hat. It's good for me, and it's good for you, and it's what they call the Ring Dang Doo".

Thanks for the memories, Bernard.

• 3 months later...

Seems like the End.

Safari is no more.

There has been alot of work going on there, and friday i noticed the Safari sign had been removed.

I'm gonna stop there monday to see if I can get the old Safari sign if they still have it.

I will also try to find out just what they are gonna do there now.

For sure it is not a motel any longer.

I'm thinking a retirement home or some kind of shelter for battered women or a rehab of some sort (judging by the name on the new sign) just guessing though.

Talked to a contractor there today. It is gonna be a drug rehab now. Waiting to see the new owner this week to see if i can get the old Safari signs.

Met the owner today, no dice on the signs, he is keeping them. I guess if the Rehab don't work out Safari may live again.

Funny stuff thanks for the info. Sad to see the safari go but for the most part it left when Bernard passed.

Should be a couple safari signs on the feeder trail?

Yeah Scorp, Very true, was hoping to Score them big ones from the sign out front of the place. Oh well no biggie. I was gonna probably just pass them off to someone else here anyway.

Chillin like a villain Gary? How goes it mon ami? Did you get up thru QC for a summer car tour? Days are getting shorter bud, will be white before you know it. Ready, set, ride.

• 1 month later...

Well it seems the project for a rehab did not work out. I see a Sign now (not Safari) but just says Motel. And advertises rooms rennovated from $69.95. So it's still alive.

Not sure if the Phone number has chaged but I will get it and post it here for those interested.

Edited by iceman