Update on Winter Gathering 2016

Saguenay Bill

Just received an email from Veronique Dube, Lodging Manager, Hotel Universal, Riviere du Loup. When making reservations for the Gathering please use the following group confirmation number 596097. Those of you who have made reservations please call back and give them this number for your reservation. They will put us all together on the same floors, so please call back. I have reserved 30 Classic rooms, which will be held until Feb11 and then the remaining rooms will be released, per their policy.

In addition if you would like a garage for your sled, reserve it when making your reservation. If you want a heated garage the cost is $15 per garage which can hold 3 sleds.

Thanks Bill for the info.

I was playing around with hotel discount sites and could get a room at the Universal for around $70 US. However, it seemed if I added the package that includes breakfast and dinner, the price really shot up astronomically, especially if two people share a room with the package.

Just make sure you play with the numbers if you book via the internet. I believe you can just book the room and then upon arrival sign up for the meal package or pay for meals separately.

Also, it appeared the room was $70 US whether one or two people as nowhere did it say per person.

mike

I went to the Universal's web site and got a price of $94 for the room whether I entered one or two people. However, adding the meal package (breakfast and dinner), upped the price to $177 for one person and $226 for two people. I'm guessing this is $Ca and doesn't include taxes. I may be wrong but I think you will save a lot of money not going with the package. You will still get the same menu and buffet.

Edited by mikerider

I tried to plan this as I did the one we had at the Delta 3 years ago. This is where we had a room by ourselves for supper so we could mingle around, talk as loud as we wanted with out disturbing other hotel guest and break bread together. I was not looking at getting the best deal possible but having the Quebec Rider family together.

Just did a little math on Universal's proposal and came up with this.

Universal's proposal

$113CA (per person) x .75 (current exchange rate)= $85 x 2 days= $170 + $16 in tips= $186.

Hotels.com

$174US (with taxes) divided by 2 = $87 per person

2 breakfast @ $18 (tax and tip included) x2 = $36 x .75 = $27

2 suppers @ $35 (tax and tip included) x2 = $70 x .75 = $52

This equals $ $166

If you decide to go with Hotel.com it means you will not be eating supper with those who choose the package deal as your meal will be served in one of the Universal's restaurants. I look at it this way have 1 less glass of vin and a few less cigs and you've covered the difference.

Last week I emailed the Universal requesting more specifics regarding the menu for the Gathering. Just now I received an answer. Here is what the menu is:

Breakfast for both days will be the buffet consisting of the following:

Fresh fruits, yougurt, buns, cheddar cheese, scrambled eggs,plain omelette,bacon, sausage, pancakes, meat pie, beans, potatoes, toast, coffee and juice.

Friday supper.

Italian style buffet including soup of the day, fresh vegetables, 2 salads, cold meat, 2 kinds of pizza, pasta with meat sauce or seafood sauce, lasagna, mssels, chicken wings, onion rings, french fries and dessert.

Saturday supper

Buffet as follows, soup of the day, fresh vegetables, 4 kinds of salads, cold meat, fresh shrimp, cucumbers and tomatoes, nachos with salsa, French fries, mussels with white wine sauce, pork souviaki, BBQ chicken wings, vegetable rice, grilled fish, lasagna, pasta with sauce, oriental shrimp, oriental beef stew, sesame seed chicken and dessert.

TIPS ARE INCLUDED FOR ALL MEALS. THIS MAKES MY COST DIFFERENCE $4 BETWEEN THE 2 SCENARIOS.

Before someone ask you either take the package or not. No eating in dining room Friday, then eating in the Private Room Sat evening. And I don't know about any what ifs

Thanks Bill for the hard work. I for one truly appreciate it. It is a thankless job what you are doing.

It's amazing how much just a few bucks will separate some.

Thanks for all the hard work Bill, hope you're getting some perks out of this.

The only perk I get or want is to see all my QR family. Life is short so enjoy every minute you can with friends and family. Unfortunately this is not a dress rehearsal.

The only perk I get or want is to see all my QR family. Life is short so enjoy every minute you can with friends and family. Unfortunately this is not a dress rehearsal.

Well said Bill. Well said.