It's for Real

iceman

El Nino.

Most intense in 60 years is what they are saying.

I want to be wrong, really I do.

However I am seeing a pattern here I am not too happy about.

3-4 days of cold air then it warms up and rains.

2 weeks in a row now. This has been the reality.

Time will tell.

Forget snow, cause if we get no cold before it snows, then that means no Ice on the lakes, rivers that equals trails to nowhere, not to mention freezing up the swamps for the groomers to pass on.

Come on mother nature make me a liar.

Edited by iceman

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy that is depressing, this talk of no snow or cold!

I suppose next your going to tell me Santa isn't real and not coming this year!

Not real and not coming, oh and there is no Easter Bunny.

Like I said I am so ready to be wrong. Let's hope I am.

But hell winter don't start until Dec 21 anyway. Right?

I am by no means anti-winter or I would be living on an Island where it's summer all year.

Come on let's get a pool going.

Post the Date you think the groomer will pass my house for it's first run. (Not JG in his pickup)

Just for fun.

Anyone?

OK, So I assume you're not a motivational speaker in your job, eh

Thanks

No for sure, i deal in reality.

What no guess on the groomer? Not feeling motivated?

Edited by iceman

Hey Don,

I feel your pain. I've been doing a long distance ride in Quebec the week of Martin Luther King Day every year for over 15 years. I've always had excellent conditions with great inter-connectivity. I've tried trips earlier than that but always had issues with either snow levels, stream/river crossings, lakes etc.

I'm booked to drive up yet again on January 14th & I'm confident that things will be sweet for a long distance loop thru PQ! History tells me so.

You will see the groomer make his first pass by Auberge Iceman on Christmas Eve! Start the snow dance!

Best,

Tom

Edited by Florida Snowman

I love Tom's positive outlook. Almost reminds me of a college student's liberal idealism (sorry Tom I couldn't resist brother :rofl: ) but I tend to be thinking along the lines of iceman. I hope more than anyone that this winter is NOT a repeat of the winter of 1997-1998. Remember that was a horrible El Nino winter. :diablo: I am going to be upbeat and guess January 15th. My wife, my son and I have the bet going at home of first date we will have clearable snow as well. I TRULY HOPE I lose this pool!!!!

Shane

Winter of '97-'98 I remember it well, every year we take a annual big ride and that year was an iffy year. Our itinerary was to leave Montreal by sled, ride the north shore to Baie Comeau, cross to Matane and do the loop around the Gaspe and ride down the south shore back to Montreal. All though some of us wanted to trailer a few hours, some insisted on leaving by sled as we traditional do iregardless of the weather.

Here's how it went.

Crossing the Lake of Two Mountains out of Montreal we were in a foot of water, no snow to be seen, Montreal to Quebec fields were half melted with much mud. Quebec to the Saguenay was fine then it started raining heavily when we crossed to Tadousac, we spent two days in a room there before we decided to head out in the rain for Baie Comeau. Made it to Forestville but not before riding 2 klms on sand into the clubhouse where we hired a local to trailer us into Baie Comeau. Ferried to Matane where conditions were a lot better, we crossed the peninsula through Murdockville 'cause we had info the tip was short on snow, on the south side of the peninsula it was a mixed bag of rivers spilling their banks and flooded fields, never did so much water riding ever. Through NB and up to Phohenagamook was fine and the 35 back to Quebec had lots of snow. Camped out at Bernieres and had to call friends'n family at home to come and pick us up 'cuz it rained like hell that evening washing out what was left back to MTL. Remember it like it was yesterday.

Iceman

Groomer's gonna pass on December 28

Thinking I am gonna put a prize together for the winner(s) who hit the day right on or closest to it. But you gotta be in it to win it.

Make your guess.

2006 we had a late start, we went to Mont Valin the week after New year, bumper to bumper traffic on the mountain. Some guys we talked to from Ontario said they had 24 inches of ice on the lakes and no snow.Rode around St raymond and Shawinigan late Jan, and it was the least snow we had ever seen there. But on a good note the season finished well, the only diff was we had cold temps. My guess you will see some places grooming by the end of Dec.