2015-2016 Shawinigan Snow Reports

iceman

You know it's bad when we brush up on our meteorological knowledge:

On average, thirteen inches of snow equals one inch of rain in the US, although this ratio can vary from two inches for sleet to nearly fifty inches for very dry, powdery snow under certain conditions.‎

www.nssl.noaa.gov/education/svrwx101/winter/faq/

11 Jan

-6c

Windy.

Snow is now Concrete.

Will make a great base i'm sure.

Looks cold for the week, great news for freezing up the Ice.

No new snow means No Riding near here anyway.

Yes you can get out of there now. Trail is open. Trails near here are ok just not super. Need a little more snow. But it is rideable for sure. No worries.

I was in Saguenay and just returned, so I have been behind on the updates sorry.

Mr. Ice,

In your opinion is the trail leaving the old Hotel Safari in decent shape and would allow us to ride up to Latuque, etc... Would like to bring a few people up for a long weekend next weekend and wanted to make sure it was rideable without hurting the sleds. Thanks.

Thanks Iceman

We have reservations for early Feb and wanted to make sure the river was rideable.

Yes and the Rivere St Maurice is rideable as well in Grand Mere to get to TQ23. I believe is also good to go up to Mekinac and trail to Mattawin.

You will be golden.

Mr. Ice,

In your opinion is the trail leaving the old Hotel Safari in decent shape and would allow us to ride up to Latuque, etc... Would like to bring a few people up for a long weekend next weekend and wanted to make sure it was rideable without hurting the sleds. Thanks.

Trail from Safari(now Auberge Drakaar) is fine. Have not been to La Tuque yet. Hearing 355 (gas line) trail is passable but still missing a bit of snow to be great. Still a few rocks here and there on it.

Remember no more trail 360 between St Tite and St. Joseph de Mekinac so that means 23 to the local trail after St Thecle to get to 355 or Rivere up to mekinac then on to Mattawin and over to 355. Just a heads up.

We just booked 3 rooms in shawinigan (Drakkar) and I was wondering if any decent snow is expected there this week. The weather I have found researching it says snow Tuesday Thursday Friday Sunday. Any real belief in those forecasts or is it only wishful thinking. At least 6 of us Coming in Friday morning. Thanks.

Saying could be up to 10cm tmmrw. Not crazy amount but any will help. Let me know what time you are coming I will stop by and say hi. Or friday night if you are returning there. Saddlebag trip or day trips?

We just booked 3 rooms in shawinigan (Drakkar) and I was wondering if any decent snow is expected there this week. The weather I have found researching it says snow Tuesday Thursday Friday Sunday. Any real belief in those forecasts or is it only wishful thinking. At least 6 of us Coming in Friday morning. Thanks.

Will be interested to hear of your comments on the Drakkar post Bernard.

Will be interested to hear of your comments on the Drakkar post Bernard.

Safari has been post Bernard for many years now, as you know. The new owner seems nice from the few times I talked with him. Certainly not gonna be like when Bernard was there. Tough act to follow there. More like Impossible.

Saying could be up to 10cm tmmrw. Not crazy amount but any will help. Let me know what time you are coming I will stop by and say hi. Or friday night if you are returning there. Saddlebag trip or day trips?

We are getting there around noon Friday and leaving Sunday evening. only doing day trips this time as time for some of my group is limited. I will definitely let you know when we are there. Thanks for all your helpful info. I just hope the trails are good with as bad of a winter we are having. Excited to be back up again. I will give a review of the new place but as you said Bernard is a hard act to follow. What a great guy he was. Always made our stays great.

Tues 26 Jan

-2c

A few flurries so far

Watching the weather anxiously.

More info later.

Calling for snow to start now then rain/mixed with freezing rain in afternoon then back to Snow.

Edited by iceman

Tues 26 Jan

-2c

A few flurries so far

Watching the weather anxiously.

More info later.

Calling for snow to start now then rain/mixed with freezing rain in afternoon then back to Snow.

Thank you! Keep me posted as we are watching the weather for up there constantly, but not as accurate I'm sure as what you see and hear. Our group is getting excited as the riding here in NY is basically none. Only put on a couple hundred miles here and no improvement in sight.

Tues 26 Jan

Now plus 1c

Snowing snowballs on and off all afternoon.

Close to a whopping 3/4" of snow.

We will take it better then rain for sure.

Supposed to snow a bit more tonight