2016 Jack & Sandi's trip

revct1

We are not there yet. The past week we have been trying to decide - should we go or should we stay home. The temperature, as you all know, has been more like October than December.

We have always driven up on Dec 27th. The latest forecast is predicting a snow storm going up the Saint Lawrence on Tuesday; 25-35 cm in Parc Jacques Cartier, 20-30 cm in Quebec City and 15-20 cm in Jonquiere.

I called the Sagueneenne and they said the trails in town are not open. The warm weather has taken its toll but the trails aren't grass and mud. The trails are icy. This isn't great but it is better than mud. He said that there is a little snow coming tonight and then the storm on Tuesday. There is some riding on Mount Valin and a few trails open in other places.

So with that in mind, we are driving up on Monday Dec 28th ahead of the storm and hopefully ride on Tuesday. It is still early in the season. We will keep you posted with what we find.

Jack & Sandi

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi jack and Sandi, was there this week and not enough to ride in town, but some tracks already. Rode 2 days in the mountain, good early conditions, but the next week will be a zoo being with all the vacations this time of year. If they get some snow it sure will help. Dont know how much the warmup of the last few days hurt them. Good luck, Steve

Enjoy Jack and Sandi! Looking forward to your report! We are HOPING to go up Monday January 4th

Hi jack and Sandi, was there this week and not enough to ride in town, but some tracks already. Rode 2 days in the mountain, good early conditions, but the next week will be a zoo being with all the vacations this time of year. If they get some snow it sure will help. Dont know how much the warmup of the last few days hurt them. Good luck, Steve

Hi Steve. The snow on Tuesday is forecast to be the heaviest along the St Lawrence. We're hoping that will spread the riders out over more of Quebec than just Mount Valin.

Enjoy Jack and Sandi! Looking forward to your report! We are HOPING to go up Monday January 4th

Hi Shane. We will post as we go. It is a late start for the snow this year but it is still early. Hopefully El Nino will calm down and give us some white stuff.

Hey GuyZ

We are going up on the 31st and back on the 4th, Sorry Shane.

Maybe we'll see you on the Trailz.

Later

GutZ

Hi Don. We are staying at the Sag. Are you staying at the Delta? Maybe we will catch up with you.

Looking forward to everyone's reports ... stay safe n enjoy

Hi Pat & Gary. We see on the news that the pond is overflowing a little onto your streets over there. Maybe you can rent a boat and get a little practice in water skipping. If it stays warm in Quebec, you may need it!

We're leaving CT early Monday Dec 28th morning. We should arrive in Chicoutimi for supper.

Jack & Sandi

Hi Jack yer all the floods are 50 miles or so north of us , it's really bad up there , gotta feel for them , some have been flooded twice in as many weeks.

Have a great time , hope we get to meet up in feb .. think snow

Gary

Hi Jack yer all the floods are 50 miles or so north of us , it's really bad up there , gotta feel for them , some have been flooded twice in as many weeks.

Have a great time , hope we get to meet up in feb .. think snow

Gary

Hi Gary,

More than likely we will schedule a few nights at the Delta when you and Pat are there. It is always a good time.

Jack & Sandi

Thank you guys. There are almost 500 views and we haven't posted a ride yet. It shows how much interest is in this sport.

Sandi and I are fortunate enough that we can get up here for an early ride and are glad that so many other riders enjoy the posts. Thank you again.

We left CT this morning. No snow on the ground until above St Johnsbury and then there isn't much more than a dusting. At Customs there are quite a few cars, no snowmobile trailers. Once we enter Canada there is a little more snow. The temperature is promising at -5F. The chill in the air feels good after 60F in CT a couple of days ago.

Here comes Drummondville and there is still snow on the ground. Maybe enough to ride on but it isn't deep, a few inches maybe. The drive is fine. The roads are dry other than a little wind blown snow. As we approach Quebec City but still on 20, the overhead sign reads "Accident on the Bridge". Oh well. We aren't in a hurry. It takes 20 minutes to cross the bridge. The accident has been cleared but the residual traffic is still here.

We get on route 175 heading north. Traffic is very light. A few snowmobile trailers heading south! We are hoping they had a great ride and are heading back to home and work. The snow depth is looking much better. Not mid season but now there is enough to ride on. The trail crossing route 175 just before L'Etape has been groomed and there are sled tracks. We are getting excited. A few flurries in the Parc but the road is still good.

We pull into the Sag at 6:30 PM. Later than we normally do but that's OK. Wow. Look at the trucks and trailers. Not overflowing but there must be 15-20 rigs here. There is snow on the ground and a couple of sleds just pulled in. I would say we can ride out of here in the morning.

At the front desk I ask the clerk about the trails.

He says that the trails are going to be opened in the morning but people have already been out riding on them. The groomers are going to be out tonight making a pass. Snow is forecast for tomorrow.

We get to our room and turn on the weather channel. The bulk of the storm, 30 cm, is going to go over Montreal and just south of Quebec City. Chicoutimi should get 5-10 cm. Not what was predicted a few days ago but we will still take it. If the trails are dragged tonight and a few inches of snow tomorrow, it should make the drive up here worthwhile.

Tomorrow I think we will head south and see what condition the trails are in.

See you tomorrow.

Jack & Sandi

You guessed it. The ribs were the special last night, $21.95.

Hi Jack and Sandy, sure you will have a super trip. Be sure to say hello to Sylvie she is one of the Servers and also the Manager in the restaurant she used to be the Bartender here in Shawinigan at the famed Resto Pub 57. She is a talll Brunette, not sure of her schedule but she is very nice(not much english) but will understand you. Please tell her Don and Caro say hello. If you see her. Thanks and enjoy the trip. Looking forward to reading all about it.

Can we get a review of the ribs at the Sag?

The Ribs are Great, but you need to get your Rib tickets early! They're going fast.

GutZ

LOL..... I'm guessing this one is ment for Pat... even if it's not it still wynds her up n made me laugh even after all these years... Edited by SnomoGary

Hi everyone,

This morning we leave the Sag on the sleds. The cul de sac trail back to 83 hasn't been groomed and is a little rough. The groomer did make a pass on 83 and we head south. The snow is thin and as expected there is some snirt and grass poking up thru the trail. It is passable but not great.

At the 368 junction, 368 looks better so we turn right and decide to head to Mount Apica. We stop at the RJL on route 175 to top off the tanks. 368 is getting better as we go along. At the junction where 383 breaks off to the right to Jonquiere, we take the left staying on 368 still heading towards Mount Apica. Both 383 and 368 had been groomed. 368 isn't turning out so good now. A lot of sticks poking up thru the snow. It looks like it may be the first time it was groomed here.

Just before we get to the crossing of route 175, here is the drag abandon in the middle of the trail without the tractor. The tractor continued on. No oil on the ground and the drag doesn't look broken? We decide to go around the drag and continue. We arrive at the crossing of 175 and there is a pickup truck pulling over to stop in front of us. I walk up and the guy in the back seat rolls the window down. He speaks English and says he was operating the tractor and 368 on the other side of 175 is very wet and really isn't open yet. He didn't say where the tractor was.

We decide to turn around and try something else. We head back 368 and stop at the intersection where 383 goes down to Bouleauniere. This also has been groomed. We turn left and this is turning out to be the best trail so far today. We stop at Bouleauniere for a little lunch. They are just getting set up for the season.

After lunch we continue south on 383. Nice trail. Recently groomed. A few rough spots but not bad. Just before Ferland we turn left onto local trail 21 towards La Baie. This is the best so far. Most of this is like mid season riding. At the junction with 83 we turn left heading back to Chicoutimi. This is in very good shape too. It has been lightly snowing since noontime and the new snow is covering up some of the ugly stuff on the trail.

We get to BecSie and where is it? The building is gone. There are cars in the parking lot and skiers out and about. There are two portable construction type trailers in the lot also. We didn't go inside the trailers so I don't know if they are being used for construction or temporarily replacing the building. Has anybody heard if there was a fire or if the building is being rebuilt?

We continue on 83 passing Chicoutimi and head towards the Delta. 83 is a little rough in spots here. It could use some snow. Again passable but not great. The Delta standing there as stoic as ever. We u-turn and head back to Chicoutimi.

A nice first day of riding. It is still snowing lightly. I think tomorrow we will head down 83 further. That was where the better conditions were.

Sandi is enjoying her new sled. She says it is the best one ever. It is the same as the one we traded in, a Renegade 1200, but this one has the newer style front end on it. I'll have to figure out an excuse to try it. Any suggestions? I need help. It has the newer style SkiDoo key for it so I can't even just make a "mistake" and get on the wrong sled and go like I could when we had interchangeable keys.

Jack & Sandi

Hi Jack and Sandi, enjoying your reports. Jack just tell Sandi your sled isn't running right and you want her to ride it and tell you what is wrong. Tell her it will probably take 200 to 300 miles for her to figure exactly what's wrong. Yeah, that's the ticket! Have fun and stay safe, hope to see you in February.

Dave

Hi Jack and Sandi, enjoying your reports. Jack just tell Sandi your sled isn't running right and you want her to ride it and tell you what is wrong. Tell her it will probably take 200 to 300 miles for her to figure exactly what's wrong. Yeah, that's the ticket! Have fun and stay safe, hope to see you in February.

Dave

Thanks Dave. If Sandi didn't read the post, that may have worked. I think she would have figured it in about 2 miles.

Jack

Thanks Jack sounds like it is somewhat positive, we have a trip planned on the 14th of Jan. please keep the reports coming.

:drinks:

Hi Phil. Things are looking a lot better than what it was a few days ago. The forecast is for the temperature to stay cool. There are still a few wet spots but those should freeze up before too long.

Hi Jack and Sandy, sure you will have a super trip. Be sure to say hello to Sylvie she is one of the Servers and also the Manager in the restaurant she used to be the Bartender here in Shawinigan at the famed Resto Pub 57. She is a talll Brunette, not sure of her schedule but she is very nice(not much english) but will understand you. Please tell her Don and Caro say hello. If you see her. Thanks and enjoy the trip. Looking forward to reading all about it.

Hi Don,

Just by chance our waitress tonight was Sylvie. I mentioned "Don and Caro says hi". She looked at me unsure. You are correct that she doesn't speak English too good. One of the other waitress' that does understand a little more English explained to her. Sylvie lit up when we mentioned her prior job in Shawinigan. She probably can't put together a connection why two people from the States would know someone here that knows her. It is a little confusing. But we did say hi and I'm she will remember us.

Jack & Sandi