2016 Jack & Sandi's trip

revct1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this appropriate, but I can stand in with today's update, since I'm two doors down from Jack and Sandi...

As usual, breakfast when it opens, 6:30a. I had eggs with sausage, Marty had eggs Benedict. Time to load the sleds to head to the mountain. Looks like most sleds and trailers have headed home for New Years, by the look in the parking lot. Almost 3" of fresh snow 15F, we load up for the 1 hour drive to valinouet. Parking lot fairly empty at valinouet, we hit the trail around 9a toward chapelle. Trails are groomed but a little thin till the bridge. At the 264 intersection we notice it's groomed with no tracks, so we take it to the 262 back up to 93 for top off at chapelle, everything freshly groomed.

After gas, it's off to the Pelchat. 93 to the 251 to 252 are all freshly groomed to perfection. At this point I start to think all of the groomers were out last night since tonight is New Years. Once at the Pelchat, it's nicely groomed almost double wide the entire way, if groomer could see it, I think he would tear-up, like when he sees Linda for the first time each year, lol. The Pelchat trail is a little different this year, bypassing the school bus, so for reference, the mileage from chapelle to the coronet is 108, direct. As always, most of 3 between Pelchat and 93 was poor.

We gas up and grab a pepperoni lunch at the coronet when we see the NH leg of team Maine pull in behind us, minus RoadRunner. We then head up the 93 to finish the loop. The C-900 leg of 93 is a real ripper as always. Once at the 252 intersection, 93 is an ok trail until KM31 when it turns into 20 miles of death. If there was helicopter service from valinouet to KM31, I would have used it. Gas up, load up, 230 miles in the books, back to the room at 5pm, 18F and flurries.

Nice ride guys, we did the same ride last week, and as you found, wish we could have got a cab from 31 to ski area.

Hi guys. This morning we leave the Sag and head towards Mount Valin on the sleds. After yesterday's ride thru St Ambroise, we know not to go that way. 367 is nice to the two bridges. We turn right onto 134 and like yesterday the VTT trail is much nicer. The snowmobile trail is rough. We turn right onto 93 and stop in St Honore to top off the tanks. Being New Years day, we're not sure where we are going to end up or who will be open. All the way to the 328 intersection the VTT trail is very nice. Why isn't the snowmobile club out?

We start heading up 93 towards Valinuet and not too bad but far from great. The trail has had its share of traffic and not by a groomer. The closer we get to Valinuet the rougher it is getting. A pretty good snow squall going on at Valinouet but not enough to fill in the rough stuff. I know Scorpionbowl said as you get further up on the mountain, the trail gets better but I've got my annual sore throat kicking in and we decide to turn around and beat ourselves up some more on the way back.

We go back down the same we went up, dah dum dah dum dah dum! Not a big day. Anybody looking to ride on the mountain would be better off trucking over and then going for a nice ride.

Sometimes I think our mission is to go out and find the bad trails so everyone else can avoid them. Oh well. It is still better than work.

Jack & Sandi

Weather forecast is colder temperatures coming in which will freeze up some of the swampy stuff but no big snow showing.

Here's what happens when you take Jack & Sandi's advice, and truck to Valinouet...

The drive is about an hour on a nice smooth paved road. Not many in the parking lot, about 5F. We hit the trail about 9am, and only have a few miles of hell until the 267, aka bras Louis. It's a quick 18 miles with about 4" of fresh powder on a smooth trail, till the 477 to Onatchiway. The 477 starts off great with plenty of fresh powder to smooth things out. Internet rumors appear to be true, there's a reroute due to logging till 1/15 that brings you into the zec and out Huit Chutes. A good chance to see some new scenery, and it was nice when we went through. Be aware that 12 miles till Onatchiway the trails get icy, I would be surprised if any of the trails around there are good, there also isn't much snow.

Once on the zec reroute we got turned around ;) and mistakingly took the private trail system straight up to the Pipmuacan trail. Once at the bras Louis intersection we had to survey the fuel situation since they likely aren't open. The math works out, so we head up, great trail, just like everything up here this time of year. Nice looking pourvoirie, but no signs of life, so without gas, we have to settle for the emergency route for gas.

The emergency route is back to bras Louis west, and take it to relais Onatchiway, the usual route to this place, but not desired since we would have to backtrack the same trails to the truck. First out of gas is the new etech which is past break in but geared different since it's a backcountry edition and also the tank wasn't topped off, more on this later. Most of Jerry #1 goes into the new sled and some into mine which didn't have a gas light yet at 125 miles. We continue on, the non-trail is in great shape, some miles later my light is on, so we wait till the new sled runs out and hit Jerry #2, probably 20 miles to go. We continue on to the relais, gas up and burp the new sled, takes on 29 liters, WTF? I gas up with 36.2, as expected. We pull-up for a roni snack since the kitchen is too busy at 1pm. We open the gas cap on the new sled, no sign of fuel from looking in, and the gauge is at 3/4. The sled should have taken about 37 liters anyway, not 29. There's something strange on the new tanks we guess, another air pocket or something, time to hit dootalk.

We then reverse the trip, 477 to 267, able to properly manage the reroute through the zec and return to the truck, everything a little rougher but manageable. Light snow and 25F, fairly empty parking lot, 200 miles in the book. After the one hour drive back we open the first beer at about 4pm.

All XP, XR, and XS chassis dos have an air pocket when filling with gas. Fill the tank until gas comes up in the neck. Then kneel on the back bumper for a few seconds. It should take another gallon after that. I've had to do that on all my Doos from 08 thru 15.

All XP, XR, and XS chassis dos have an air pocket when filling with gas. Fill the tank until gas comes up in the neck. Then kneel on the back bumper for a few seconds. It should take another gallon after that. I've had to do that on all my Doos from 08 thru 15.

We know that trick, doesn't seem to work the same on 16's...

This morning there is snow in the air. I forgot to mention that the exchange rate is very good for us living below the border. This is the year to take advantage of it now that the snow is starting to fall.

This morning we head down 83 south. Not groomed but not bad. The first 10 miles a little choppy. The trail gets better as we approach La Baie. Staying on 83 south there is a good 5-10 cm of new snow. Nice ride. A few sleds out since it is Saturday and probably the first chance a lot of the locals can get out too.

We turn left onto 383 towards L'Anse St Jean. Very nice. Smooth and with the fresh powder it feels like mid-season. A little before Riviere Eternite the trails drops out onto the road and then cuts back into the woods using a small bridge to cross some water. The bridge has a cement block in front of it and a cable closing access off. The brook is open and I know the 2016 isn't going to be water-skipping anytime soon. We could run the road for a few miles or turn around. Since 383 and 83 were so good, we decide to turn around.

We run back up to La Baie and top off the gas tanks. Then we take the local 21 trail over to 383 to go to Bouleauniere for lunch. Not fresh groomed but a good ride. Trail 21 doesn't get much traffic. We arrive at Bouleauniere and there must be 50 sleds here and another 20 VTTs. Oh its going to take at least an hour and a half to eat with this many here. Lets just keep riding. We can eat later.

We stay on 383 north and continue toward Jonquiere. The trial isn't too bad. We cross the barrage and as expected, the groomer hasn't been this way yet this season. There has been plenty of traffic and the trail is easy to follow but rough. Some wet spots thru the swampy area but OK. Still passing a fair amount of traffic. We turn left on 83 and head to the Delta.

Ah the Gutz boys' trailer is in the pen but no tow vehicle and no sleds? We wonder what's up with that. We go in the Delta and the restaurant doesn't open til 5, it is mid-afternoon. We have a little soup in the bar and head back to Chicoutimi.

A very nice ride today with all the fluffy snow on the trail. I got to try out Sandi's sled for a few miles. I couldn't get use to the throttle by wire control. The ride is nice and the handling is great. A softer seat than mine.

One more day of riding and then we go back to CT on Monday.

See you tomorrow.

Jack & Sandi

Guyz

Sorry we missed you, new tow vehicle! Instead of trailer....

When we ride with Long Hair expect to arrive back late. We did the unbroken trail to Onach. On the way back on 482, I think, it dumped us on to a road with only a vtt trail. Anyways a good day.

Team GutZ

Our last day of riding for this trip today. Checking the internet this morning, it shows that St Ambroise groomed 367 within the past 12 hours. Yea! That will be the first leg of our ride then. We are going to go out to Ski Bee Doo for lunch.

We leave the hotel and take 83 to 367 to the two dams. The trails are good. Go across the dams and get ready to see the groomed 367. What a treat. We start going down 367 and it is rough! Maybe the groomer didn't get all the way to the dams from St Ambroise. We chug-a-lug on. Not any better but there is an impression in the snow along the side of the trail from the tractor's track but this is not groomed. Maybe a little further on it will get better. Nope. All the way to St Ambroise is bad. The last five miles of trail before St Ambroise, there was some wet spots that the tractor broke thru. Maybe it is swampy there and won't support the tractor and drag together. We survived and have that section done.

In St Ambroise we turn left on 93. This is better. A little rough but it had been groomed at one time. Pretty good riding all the way to the 23 junction at Alma. Here we turn left and cross the big bridge. We wrap around under the bridge and stay on 23. I always get disoriented in Alma. Too many local trails and the signs don't seem to have where I'm going listed. With a little guidance from a couple of Quebec locals, we get to Ski Bee Doo.

A nice lunch. It has been lightly snowing all morning. We continue south on 23 and then get on 383 to head back towards Jonquiere / Chicoutimi. At Relais Grenouille we ask if the trail is open crossing the tip of Kenogami. The waitress tells us it is not safe yet and we should go back up 383 and take our first trail on the right. This will bring us back to 383 / 83 above Kenogami.

Well, we looked and looked and could not find the trail. We ended up back in Alma using the local trails. By then we decide to go back on 93 the way we came out this morning. 93 was still good but the 367 was a mess. We arrive back at the hotel a little later than we would like but everybody and the equipment is safe.

The trails around Alma were very good. Usually this early in the season they don't have a lot of snow and what Alma has is wind blown. This year they have snow and the groomers have been working it well. Very nice job over there.

Time for a little food. Happy trails to everyone.

Jack & Sandi

• 2 weeks later...

A little late but better late than never.

Thanks everyone. We are glad you enjoyed reading the posts as much as we enjoyed sharing our ride and the trail conditions.

This trip we are in Riviere-du-loup. We're putting a short post on the Chaudiere Appalaches forum and a longer post on the Bas St Laurent forum. We will tell you what we find.

Jack & Sandi

• 3 weeks later...

OK. Here is the continuation of this trip coming up from St Raymond.

We leave L'Etape back on 23. It is rough coming out of L'Etape. A lot more traffic right here and more turns. A few miles out and the trail straightens out and the bumps start to disappear. Running along the power lines it is fine. Smooth and a couple of inches of powder.

About 5 miles from Apica, there is logging going on. There are two short sections that the trail and the logging trucks are sharing. Some dirt was spread for the trucks. Keep your eyes open thru this section.

Mt Apica's new clubhouse looks very nice. Many sleds here. We didn't go in, just stopped for a minute for a quick break. A little bit of ice on the outside of the shield. I can't see it in the air but it is sticking to the shield. We continue on. The freezing rain is a pain. Better than liquid rain but not as good as snow. We are in and out of the freezing rain to the 368 junction. We stop here and talk with a couple of other snowmobilers from Magog. They said there is no snow there so they trailered to L'Etape so they could get some riding in.

While we are sitting here, I notice that the freezing rain is changing back over to snow. Yea! We take off on the 368. Oh this is nice. It must have been groomed last night. It has some fresh snow but not many tracks. Go Sandi.

A good run to the 383 junction where we turn left and head to the barrage. We cross the barrage and head thru the woods. We come out into the first open field and wow. What happened? Here is the wind that was forecast. Boy is it blowing. Now it looks like a good storm. We have been protected by the woods most of the day and didn't notice any wind. We finish the last few miles and arrive at the Delta. What a good sight to see.

So down by St Raymond, Ok now, as long as they don't get too much rain from this storm. Up thru the Park, L'Etape and to the Delta there is plenty of snow and great riding.

Jack & Sandi

Edited by revct1

Thanks JG. Now that you have mentioned wax, I've always cleaned my shield with furniture polish like Pledge or Behold. I can usually clean enough of my shield with my hand while I'm driving. Sandi always has to stop and really scrape the ice off of her shield.

I just asked her about cleaning her shield and she doesn't use a wax. Hmm. I thought she just couldn't press as hard with her glove and that is why she stops to clean. Now I' m thinking you hit the nail on the head because I use the furniture polish. I'll try car wax and see if that is even better.

Jack & Sandi

Funny thing you mentioned furniture polish, the best thing since sliced bread to polish your sled. Pledge is my choice for polishing my girl.

Turtle wax for the shield......little tip wait till the wax is dry then buff.

Good luck

JG

Back at the Delta.

This morning it is warm. It must be 40 F. It isn't raining but very overcast. We leave the Delta and cross the two dams. My shield has water on it. Is it snow dust from Sandi? Nope. It is drizzling. Yuck!

We turn right on 134. Groomed but kind of like driving on mashed potatoes. At the junction with 93 we stop for a minute and I notice that the drizzle is turning to snow. Good. We turn right and head into St Honore. My shield is still wet but it is more snow than raIn now. 93 was perfect up to St Honore but now it is a lightly bumpy.

We get up to the groomer's house a little before Valinuet and he was out last night. Nice. Around Valinuet, it was groomed but still a little rough. So much traffic right in this area, the soft trail takes a beating quickly.

About 10 miles passed Valinuet the trail gets much better. It is a little cooler and it is now a nice light snow. This is how I like to remember Mont Valin. We run all the way up to La Chapelle. No other sleds here. We order lunch and take a seat. A couple more sleds and then two more pairs pull in. The first two guys are speaking French. The next two are from Ontario and the last couple are from Connecticut originally. Four groups at La Chapelle and only one group speaks French. Go figure.

After lunch we head back 93 and take the connector to Bras Louis. We decide to stay away from Valinuet. We turn right on 477 to go to Onatchiway. Groomed with some soft snow on top. Nice ride. I think someone else had mentioned it earlier that 477 is rerouted a little and you get some pretty distant vistas near Onatchiwayy.

We decide to stop at Onatchiway and have a coffee break. We take a seat and the couple next to us speaks English. They are from Ottawa. After speaking with them a little, they left from St Raymond on their sleds Wednesday morning right after us. They passed us half way to L'Etape. Talk about a coincidence.

We leave Onatchiway abd head south on 476 to 328. Boy is this nice. 328 has been rerouted into St David. I think it is what was the VTT trail. I think it is a little nicer than the old trail.

We run back down 134 and cross the two bridges and get back to the Delta.

This morning was nice and this afternoon was great. Plenty of snow up here. Maybe winter is just going to be late this year. Lets hope the ground hog is wrong.

Jack & Sandi