Duhamel and surrounding area

Trailblazer

Ride up to Notawissi was all surprisingly groomed and flat EVERYWHERE. We are 4 to meet 2 more at Cecaurel, we get there and they are no longer doing a Relais service, reservations only for evening stays, okay now where's our boys. We leave a nessage for them and off we go to Val Viger for lunch and gas. 45 minutes later boys show up, now we're 6. Onwards to Notawissi but not with out a stop at the SAQ in Ste..Anne du Lac. Now we're good off for some walleye.

IMG_0320.JPG.412353ff56529f8ad0968e84891304c6.JPG

IMG_0321.JPG.e8c6a0c1265345885a0f4ae0b2794c4f.JPG

I tuckered out the boys in the morning so they got a little R&R while waiting for our late arrivals finishing lunch.

IMG_0322.JPG.ab459fce781339b18877cf585f0517f2.JPG

IMG_0323.JPG.44d8ebaca48e74898ffb49a89e650761.JPG

IMG_0324.JPG.4102494a550b44cab3a0aa8ccdd5d51a.JPG

On 2017-03-17 at 7:37 PM, Florida Snowman said:

I'll have mine medium-rare JG!

Enjoy!

Let's get that ride in next year!

I just put the winter girl away...........

I'm on it Tom, can you get here in time for the 2 minute flip over?

Left Notawissi this morning with a plan, cross the lake and take the local into Rabaska only thing is IMotoniege shows it's not connected, the challenge is on! 

We make the connection with a little roadrunning and up to the Devils mtn Relais for a quick lunch break followed by a visit to the look out.

Pics will follow QR website thing again!

Back at the chalet for 6:30, 580 klms. Trails north of the Petit Train du Nord are still in great shape with some bar spots when cresting hills and road side riding. Very cold in the mornings, Sat -17° C and Sun -12° C but by 11 am we were in positive temps and opening everything we can. 

Trails south of the Petit Train du Nord are in trouble if this sun keeps up. Trails that were opened for logging are down to mud, road crossing are down to mud and gravel on the shoulders, spring sledding has definitely set in around here. You'd be rolling the dice for the next couple weekends. I'm done with this area, gonna get the 4 wheeler out of storage soon then browse what's left of the trails.

Next week, season ender in the Cote Nord. Yup that's right back up there again.

SQ, FMCQ, you sure seem to attract attention JG. trails are in melt down mode here for sure. Sat was Ok but by the end of the day the sun had done major damage. 

1 hour ago, Cnc said:

SQ, FMCQ, you sure seem to attract attention JG. trails are in melt down mode here for sure. Sat was Ok but by the end of the day the sun had done major damage. 

Ya, crazy eh!

Funny thing though, there were 4 of them, 3 men and 1 woman. I believe these guys were out to set an example to the lady that was with them cause she was on training, it was her first day out patrolling trails she told me. She was placed on me to write up a replacement sticker while the others were stopping more. When she was done with the paperwork she gave me back my old pink/yellow paper. I told that she shouldn't do that because of this purchase being one of a replacement she would have to attach the old paperwork to the new replacement paperwork to prove it was a replacement purchase so she would not be charged by her superiors for the difference of a new sticker purchase. 

I got her attention, she then consulted with the others and came back very apologetic and thanked me for that information explaining she's on training and it's her first time patrolling.

Up to the Relais for lunch we go and they follow, they finish lunch before us and leave. We're out 1/2 hour later running down the mountain when....you guessed it we run into them again doing another trail check on the downside of the mountain, Of course Mufphys law she's in the trail waving me snd the boys over AGAIN!!!! I open my helmet and say to her " honey you already took care of me and the boys on the other side earlier", she giggles and waives us off.

Enough of the authorities please.....

Edited by Trailblazer

11 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

Ya, crazy eh!

Funny thing though, there were 4 of them, 3 men and 1 woman. I believe these guys were out to set an example to the lady that was with them cause she was on training, it was her first day out patrolling trails she told me. She was placed on me to write up a replacement sticker while the others were stopping more. When she was done with the paperwork she gave me back my old pink/yellow paper. I told that she shouldn't do that because of this purchase being one of a replacement she would have to attach the old paperwork to the new replacement paperwork to prove it was a replacement purchase so she would not be charged by her superiors for the difference of a new sticker purchase. 

I got her attention, she then consulted with the others and came back very apologetic and thanked me for that information explaining she's on training and it's her first time patrolling.

Up to the Relais for lunch we go and they follow, they finish lunch before us and leave. We're out 1/2 hour later running down the mountain when....you guessed it we run into them again doing another trail check on the downside of the mountain, Of course Mufphys law she's in the trail waving me snd the boys over AGAIN!!!! I open my helmet and say to her " honey you already took care of me and the boys on the other side earlier", she giggles and waives us off.

Enough of the authorities please.....

JG, I could start a scrapbook with all of the pics of you and the po po from this year alone!

• 1 month later...

Owners of the gas station/depanneur in town will be closing their doors permanently end of May, the brothers are in their 70's with 57 years of service behind them, they want to sit back and enjoy what's left. It's all up for sale business and building but sell or not it's closed down end of the month. 

Duhamel will no longer have gas until further notice.

23 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

Owners of the gas station/depanneur in town will be closing their doors permanently end of May, the brothers are in their 70's with 57 years of service behind them, they want to sit back and enjoy what's left. It's all up for sale business and building but sell or not it's closed down end of the month. 

Duhamel will no longer have gas until further notice.

Well, God Bless them! I hope they enjoy their next chapters. Running those places is an almost 7x24 job and for not much reward. Unfortunately, the stores can also be the heart of some of the small towns they are in. Hopefully, someone will want to take it on and re-open it.

• 6 months later...

Back at the country place for the last call before winter. Small lakes, ponds and marshes are freezing up very nicely. Winter storm warning in effect for tomorrow, 15 cms and an extra 5 on Sunday. Got last minute outdoor stuff to do before the snow flys then tomorro take a little atv ride in the snow.

A9632523-B685-4CED-A818-E30E8AC71BAC.thumb.jpeg.41afdfada4807f39d2758a3c940abea8.jpeg

87D59632-3015-4002-B805-7F8EE7764B95.thumb.jpeg.37537159ce9e2958f786f1668d3efc37.jpeg

Meanwhile over in our neck of the woods we get freezing rain, grr.

Kinda sucks about the gas, seems ma and pop gas stations are one by one closing up. That place in Duhamel must of been a gold mind though, I can't remember Not lining up to gas up there.

IMG_0744.PNG

Well folks as it turns out I got very good news about the dep in Duhamel, it has bee officially sold to couple from Lac Gagnon, they are running it now and there will be gas sold there this winter.

On the other hand the restaurant Resto Chevreuil has been closed through out the fall season and is up for sale. Looks to me the place to go for snacks and casse-croutes will Madorick and Chez Pepere.

92C4356E-5802-4C89-B621-CCF88229376E.thumb.png.0ece0594b67bcba1f782268ffa208a1d.png

Looks like this one will be here to stay.

Good news on the gas for sure, too bad about the restaurant. I always head for le Madorick and Jacques the owner is an entertaining guy. Problem is the remaining restaurants will be busier than ever. JG where is the Chez Pepere? We used to go to a restaurant more in the centre of the village ( old church pew type benches in the booths ) but that to my knowledge has been closed for several years.