Duhamel and surrounding area

Trailblazer

First run up at the chalet, week end with the wife so can’t leave her alone too long. Blue jay day on Saturday, Sunday supposed to be too but heavily overcasted with some blowing snow. Visited the Relais in the area checking out the locals and getting some trail info. 53 in the park leaving from Le Mulet is plowed and sanded, I’m told only for a few klms, after taking a look I did a quick u turn, lots of sand no thank you. Club house parking lot full house must’ve been 100 vehicles and trailers. Railbed beat to shit with the traffic, local trail to Mulet in good shape, the 43 over to Pourvoire Douze in good shape surprisingly considering its in the mountains. Pourvoire Douze is no longer a Relais, restaurant is for overnight guests only. 3 restaurants in town Resto Chez Linda, La Madorick both on the railbed and one little gem off the beaten path called Chez Pepere, she is the only one in town with a liquor license, Resto Chez Linda will tell you she’s getting one in 3 weeks but she’s been telling me that every time I go there since August. Somethings Up with that.

Lake in front of the house has seen some traffic so I go and investigate, bording the lake I’m stuck, front of the sled plowed in the snow and the track spun itself down to the ice and now is spinning, give her a little shake back’n fourth and I’m off but not with out struggling. Seems the new snow is not set yet on the ice and there’s some water underneath. The front is plowing the deep snow and the track is spinning like crazy so I b-line it down the shore line where I can get off then look back, I see a trail of slush. Glad I didn’t go any further out.

36E67FDB-1BBA-4E1D-8C48-C5D7702C39A6.thumb.jpeg.ab0343f0c234a614d211c07a7f25f2fd.jpeg

153D62DF-526E-476E-A2EE-0075E1CECB9E.thumb.jpeg.48c2613a9717db8c7ef6f8b161d1bb48.jpeg

519907BD-ECF5-4E97-B514-10B675D498BC.thumb.jpeg.322628334fcd0ed2bfd35040bff1f9e4.jpeg

B305C069-ED98-4ADF-9BA6-722DB9BC289E.thumb.jpeg.3e55ed0c3814ca1b8b5a382b4f968b95.jpeg

Thanks for the info on the 53 JG, won’t get much use if it stays like that. We we were there Friday there was a car stuck 50 ft down the 43, turned in from the sanded park road. It was empty the first time we passed, the second, we rode past and stopped 25 ft from it, the person was just sitting in the car with it idling. At one point we were 5 sleds talking and wondering what happened to the 53. We were going to try and push him out but it was pointed out we had been standing there for 10 minutes and if the driver wanted our help, they could have opened the door and asked. Guess they had towing on the way.

• 1 month later...

Up at JG Chalet once more, gotta load in the trailer to off load then sledding we go, mostly off trail stuff, keep ya posted.

Snowbanks on the side of the road at an arms reach north, no shortage here.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Jan 20 2024 finally got a chance to blow off the cob webs. Saw there was a few green trails on the app and couple possible loops. Out the door at 10:30 am with my new lake friend in training. 
Rail bed into town a 10/10, 43 east to Lac des Plages 8/10, east of lac des Plages the 43 to the first fork going to St.Remi was not groomed, a single path trail for 10 klms and one open creek crossing. At the fork we head north to the local that will connect us to the 323. Did a 5 klm lake crossing in La Conception which was all staked, had a few slushy spots and a few frozen slush areas too but not a rough ride across.

323 into Labelle for the first trail side break, this trail was first groomed that morning, surprisingly it was pretty good 6/10. 
Up La Petit Train du Nord 325 to 63 into Nominigue for gas, all groomed to perfection 10/10. 
Back track to the 319 for our descend down to La Minerve, 319 was a 8/10. 
Took the shortcut to get on Lac Chapleau and cross, lake trail is staked, careful of the frozen slush parts. 319 through the parc and back on the 323 and 43 for the return, 43 got a little rough from the day. Back at le chalet for 5pm.

226 klm loop for the first ride of the season, awesome day.

Took the 43 south down to the 53 9/10, 53 up to relais Mulet for a quick bite then the local back to the 43 all 9/10. 43 back to base camp 75 klms. 
I have to say the clubs are doing a great job with what they have, some of yesterdays trails were on first grooming and to my surprise it was a lot better than I could imagine.

Now the warm up next week, let’s see what that brings us.