a bit of info !!!

groomer

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Myself and a couple of friends are planning to travel to Quebec tomorrow morning for a few days of riding. We are thinking of heading to RDL and then backpacking to the Gaspésie region as long as the rain has not caused too much damage. Can someone provide us with a report on the severity of the rain, we're hoping it isn't too bad.

Myself and a couple of friends are planning to travel to Quebec tomorrow morning for a few days of riding. We are thinking of heading to RDL and then backpacking to the Gaspésie region as long as the rain has not caused too much damage. Can someone provide us with a report on the severity of the rain, we're hoping it isn't too bad.

hi cold beer !!!

better check forecast !!!

just back from outside a few mins ago....freezing rain right now and should be warmer tomorrow !!!

im 150 miles east of rdl !!!

jean-guy

Checking the trail conditions online this morning and the map has not changed from yesterday indicating that trails are good. I suspect that they have not been updated today.

I called a couple of hotels in the area to see how bad the rain was last night, they said that it rained a lot but could not tell if the trails were still in good shape or not.

We are planning to drive today and hoping that we can ride Tuesday.

Checking the trail conditions online this morning and the map has not changed from yesterday indicating that trails are good. I suspect that they have not been updated today.

I called a couple of hotels in the area to see how bad the rain was last night, they said that it rained a lot but could not tell if the trails were still in good shape or not.

We are planning to drive today and hoping that we can ride Tuesday.

checked by window this morning at 5 am...it was raining .....drizzle right now...0 c..

jean-guy

A couple of notes to keep in mind in Bas St Laurent area and east, just got back from this last weekend...(before the Monsoon) and had overall some really good riding over the 800 miles.

We found good snow cover on the inner trails, 544 from Pohegamook, (some of this is winter plowed) all the way to Saint Cyprien and up 571 to trail 5 east of trois pistols had great snow cover. The 565 trail from St Epipahne to club house in Pohenagamook was great too. A piece of that trail is now the new 35 extension, but only marked 35 part of the way from Pohengamook, up the first 15 miles says trail 35, the rest of the trail to st louis da hha is still marked 565.

The power line from trois pistols to Rimouski had good cover, the 518 that runs parallel to trail 5 , (closer to the river) was also good snow cover.

The fields as I had posted earlier in Rimouski were lower snow cover and may not have handled the warm up well, hope for some snow this week to lube that back up.

From Rimouski to Mont Joli on 578 and 579 was not practical, neither was groomed from the junction of 578 and 579 towards Mont Joli, passable but your are better of to take trail 5 down and around this low snow area. The 579 has a ramp out on a bridge half way down that trail

Also, remember to take the Mont Joli orange bypass trail off of 587 to reconnect you to 5 east of Mont Joli, (we did not and backtracked the 6 miles back down to 587) if you are heading east on trail 5 towards the Amqui junction with 5 that allows you to go to Matane, (Matane trail section is not open) or south to Amqui that is open and only gets better as you head south on 5 towards Amqui. The orange loop trails around amqui and Causpascal have great snow cover

Hope everyone has a good run this weekend.

Enjoy RR

Just thought of one other note, the 587 between albertville/Amqui and Mont Joli, a nice run up through a large wind turbine project, the only note might be to skip the 587 piece in la redemption as there are several miles of newly cut trail through the woods, kind of Boney and needs more snow

I would use the 587 from albertville to the 579 piece that comes out further west towards remouski and skip the 587 leg at la redemption

On a completely other note, does anyone know if it is mandatory to have wheel skis to cross the ferry at Matane. I have heard both answered yes and no, but not sure which it is? Thanks. RR

Edited by RoadRunner

As I know the wheel skis are not required for Ferry. When we did it there was no issue with that.

I'm sure many others can chime in with their experience but I say the answer is no.

Update on ferry Roadrunner

Called them and it is not Mandatory to have wheels. They said of course its better (easier) on/off to have but by no means required.

Thanks for all your updates very helpful.

Edited by iceman

As I know the wheel skis are not required for Ferry. When we did it there was no issue with that.

I'm sure many others can chime in with their experience but I say the answer is no.

Update on ferry Roadrunner

Called them and it is not Mandatory to have wheels. They said of course its better (easier) on/off to have but by no means required.

Thanks for all your updates very helpful.

Iceman, thank you very much for clarifying this, we had used the ferry several years ago without issues, but had heard since that maybe it was an issue with wheels being required. We really didn't want to mess with the wheels so this is great news!

Thanks again for doing the research, best regards. RR

The club house in pohengamook had a good 50 sleds there on saturday, great to see everyone out

attachicon.gif20160109_124538.jpg

dave and myself were there sat pm to ... did you go in ??? we were that close... ha ha ha !!! your posts said it all .till later eddieskidoo

On a completely other note, does anyone know if it is mandatory to have wheel skis to cross the ferry at Matane. I have heard both answered yes and no, but not sure which it is? Thanks. RR

I have crossed on the ferry many times and drove right on without issue. I can't imagine them trying to stop sleds without wheels, they would almost have to stop vehicles with studded tire too.

After viewing a few web sites and making a few phone calls we have concluded that the Bas Saint Laurent region was hit harder by the rain than the Saguenay region. We have decided to head to Saguenay instead.

North(saguenay/mont valin) and East (Charlevoix and Escoumins TQ3 east on) is where its at right now, until it snows more.

dave and myself were there sat pm to ... did you go in ??? we were that close... ha ha ha !!! your posts said it all .till later eddieskidoo

Yes Eddie we stopped for lunch, it was right around noon. Than we headed west towards tourville on the 35, we were very close!

I have crossed on the ferry many times and drove right on without issue. I can't imagine them trying to stop sleds without wheels, they would almost have to stop vehicles with studded tire too.

SM it did seem kind of far fetched but you never know sometimes lol.

After viewing a few web sites and making a few phone calls we have concluded that the Bas Saint Laurent region was hit harder by the rain than the Saguenay region. We have decided to head to Saguenay instead.

Good call , don't think you will be disappointed Cold Beer