Early Gaspesie Loop

smclelan

I went to the Gaspesie for a quick loop, started Jan 7th back on the 10th. I will start off with the fact it is still early season conditions and oddly there isn't much snow on the north shore, there is more on the south.

Friday morning we left Pointe a la Croix at 7am and headed east toward New Richmond. Trails were great, there was lots of snow and Groomers were doing a great job. We gassed and had breakfast in New Richmond and continued east on the TQ 5. Conditions were good but maybe a little bit less snow, certainly enough snow but there a few dips and holes that could be filled in if they had another foot of snow. Between Boneventure and Port Daniels snow was thin on the power lines and there were still some signage to go up. Once past there snow levels increased and the trails were groomed to perfect, very good going into Chandler. We landed at the clubhouse in Chandler about 2pm, Louise at the club told us the trail into Perce had not been groomed and there was a new trail going into the village. I didn't have the new track on my GPS so we decided against go there for the night. Instead we struck off for Murdochville, unfortunately a little over half way there my secondary clutch collapsed. 30,000km and it failed, maybe I should check for warranty. A decision was made to head back to Chandler and go to the dealer Saturday morning. Back to the Hotel Chandler by 5:30 with 300 miles for the day. We were sitting in the room having cocktails and one of the guys Googled the dealer and noticed they were open till 9pm on Friday. A long story short after a couple phone called with an English speaking sales man they asked if they could come get the sled and have a look at it that night to see what it needed. They showed up at the hotel at 7:45 with a truck took the sled, at 9pm they landed it back with the clutch rebuilt!!! How is that for incredible service.

Saturday morning we headed for Murdochville again up the 597 the conditions were awesome. The only place it was a little thin was on the power lines South of town. We gassed up and headed to La Cache, the trail was good however the groomer had only been 10 miles out of Murdochville so far this year. We went all the way following GPS tracks and some sled tracks. We got to the top of Mt Lyall, there was a very low cloud ceiling and we were in the clouds! The trees were all packed in snow, very cool. We met the new owner of la cache, a young man seemed very nice. He said he was going to try to make some improvements, it could use a couple LOL. From there we went to New Richmond, trails perfect again however lots of deer on the trail. Stayed the night at the Hotel Francis, around 200 miles for the day.

By

Sunday we traveled from New Richmond back to the truck, 85 miles. Trails fresh groomed since we came through and was snowing.

I forgot my camera so no pictures except for the two I took on my phone.

Taken on top of Mt Lyall with Mr Chin

post-5-0-00326600-1452472873_thumb.jpg

Taken by the bridge in Nouvelle

post-5-0-43473200-1452473183_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the briefing. We are jealous.

"We met the new owner of la cache, a young man seemed very nice. He said he was going to try to make some improvements, it could use a couple LOL."

Are you referring to Le Relais de la Cache ? The only fuel stop between north and south on 595 between New Richmond & Matane (More or less)? If so, we are fortunate someone picked it up. Thanks....

Thanks for the briefing. We are jealous.

"We met the new owner of la cache, a young man seemed very nice. He said he was going to try to make some improvements, it could use a couple LOL."

Are you referring to Le Relais de la Cache ? The only fuel stop between north and south on 595 between New Richmond & Matane (More or less)? If so, we are fortunate someone picked it up. Thanks....

That is the spot. Yes it is essential for the 595.