No more STUDS in QUEBEC??

lindasledgirl

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jean-guy Hallé Pilot project on the use of slip on off-road vehicles
On January 5, 2016 in Governments, Motor Sports // 0 Comments
QUEBEC / CNW Telbec / - The Minister of Transport, Mr. Robert Poëti confirms the implementation of a pilot project to experiment with off-highway vehicles with slip on public roads and other places where applicable the Highway Safety Code. This pilot project will enter into force on 1 January 2016 for a period of 3 years.
The use of slip will be permitted from October 15 to May 1 on the tires or tracks of off-road vehicles covered by the Act respecting off-highway vehicles.
Authorized slip are the automotive type cleats, also called "nails", inserted in the tires or caterpillars of an off-road vehicle.
The type of crampons 'ice screws' installed on the tires or tracks of a vehicle off-road, especially during exceptional events, trials or competitions, are not accepted.
The off-road vehicle drivers equipped with non-slip non-compliant will be liable to a fine of $ 60 to $ 300, as applicable.
"The practice of off-road vehicle brings users sometimes have to cross public roads to access the trails. This pilot project will provide more flexibility to the regulations in force and will evaluate its effects, "the minister said.
Note that this pilot project was not intended to allow the off-highway vehicles on public roads and other areas where the Road Safety Code apply, other than to the extent already provided for by the Act off-road vehicles.
Indeed, off-highway vehicles on public roads is prohibited without exception. For example, off-road vehicles are allowed to cross the public road in the space provided by the signaling.

We better find some clarification on this one...If its being enforced, this doesn't help with tourism...

from a director of a club north of mtl.........Indeed weekend snowmobilers are actually recover a finding of infringement by the police on the trail between 319 and Minerva Lake Nominingue Following comments from snowmobilers I have contacted the FCMQ for the right time .... the direction of FCMQ had been informed by many snowmobile ... FCMQ n was not aware of the guidelines given to police apparently 17 December to be implemented on January 7 .... this situation is absurd and contradicts the safety rules ... By way of information I learned that the management of the FCMQ was en route to Quebec for a meeting with the MTQ (d to other folders) and the subject of the spikes were put in the agenda So expect to developments in case .... But nothing prevents you (like the I do) send a M Minister POLI your comments please address the following; ministre@mtq.gouv.qc.ca

"The use of slip will be permitted from October 15 to May 1 on the tires or tracks of off-road vehicles covered by the Act respecting off-highway vehicles."

Does slip refer to studs? If it does, slip will be permitted during the winter months.

Am I reading this correctly?

Jack

"The use of slip will be permitted from October 15 to May 1 on the tires or tracks of off-road vehicles covered by the Act respecting off-highway vehicles."

Does slip refer to studs? If it does, slip will be permitted during the winter months.

Am I reading this correctly?

Jack

I like your interpretation. I'm gonna go with that.

I believe "slip" means the road crossing.

"Act respecting off-highway vehicles", I would also believe that in this Act the use of a prestudded track from the manufacturer (eg. Ice Ripper, Ice attack etc...) or screw in studs for atv tires are permitted such as a studded tire for a car.

Andyman mentioned in one of his posts he bought a bag of studs for car tires and installed them in his track, this would be excellent alternative to escape this new ruling.

The way the new law reads basically says Studs added would be illegal, however tracks pre-studded(iceripper) etc. will be permitted.

Personally I think it is gonna be tolerated but i guess we will have to wait and see. But right now if the police go by the book. Anything studded(not from manufacturer) would be eligible for a fine.

That's insane....

Bienvenue a Quebec. Lot's of insanity here. This is minor.

I hear you though makes no sense to me but when have you known gov't lawmakers to make sense.

"Common sense is not very Common" here is no different.

If the law sticks, I think it will never be enforced too much. Just my 2cents. If you are speeding or draw attention for something else then they may give you the works but on it's own, ha they will run out of ticket books.

Edited by iceman

More ticket books means more capital for politicians retirement funds.

Quebec has always been creative when it comes to creating and collecting fines from the public.

Very true cannot argue that at all.

BTW

I loved my Iceripper before, now i really love it.

If the law sticks, I think it will never be enforced too much. Just my 2cents. If you are speeding or draw attention for something else then they may give you the works but on it's own, ha they will run out of ticket books.

I think you have hit the nail right on the head. They are not going to set up check points at road crossings looking for after market studs. I also wouldn't cancel any trip plans because of this law.

send a M Minister POLI your comments please address the following; ministre@mtq.gouv.qc.ca

lets send some email and see if we can get it fixed?

Smclelan uses these Maxi Grip screw in studs, I purchased 200 of them and most likely could ride right by patrol if they are looking for studs. Have not gotten to try them yet. Scranton 1 did the same thing, if we get stopped we will say it came this way, see both these are the same. :aggressive:

post-51-0-05512600-1452649323_thumb.jpg

They are OK with these studs. The ones like car tire studs are acceptable, it is the big 1.5 - 1.75" studs they are targeting.

I would never lead you astray Phil!! Haha

Glad you got my back, I can't wait to give these a try. :clapping:

There is some Mid Western state that has a "Stud sticker" it cost you extra to have studs. NY installed a plastic like material at road crossings to eliminate stud damage to tarmac...Quebec did not state their reason at lease as far as I have read.

Edited by Phil 1

I would bet ski carbides do more damage than the studs at road crossings, next it will be no carbides except those that come from the OEM. Also not all Snowmobile manufactures offer an ice ripper track like BRP does. I agree with Iceman and others though, ride normal and respectful and I "doubt" we will be ticketed.