No more STUDS in QUEBEC??

lindasledgirl

the ice ripper will be legal whether it came on the sled or not

I have had them on my Renegade 800's and really liked that track but I know many people with Cat Turbos and other high HP sleds that would never put a single ply track on their sled, why they don't make an ice ripper in a 2 ply is another question.

Edited by Pipeman

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't agree more. Not everyone has studs, but almost everybody has carbide runners.

I would bet ski carbides do more damage than the studs at road crossings, next it will be no carbides except those that come from the OEM. Also not all Snowmobile manufactures offer an ice ripper track like BRP does. I agree with Iceman and others though, ride normal and respectful and I "doubt" we will be ticketed.

Seems to me its another case of throttle jockeys hurting our sport. I cringe when I see someone spinning their studded track across the road for no reason.

Those are the same morons that have the loud exhaust too. Not many people dumb enough to spin there expensive studs purposely crossing black top though....unless they are drunk.

Seems to me its another case of throttle jockeys hurting our sport. I cringe when I see someone spinning their studded track across the road for no reason.

I always feel a little pain whenever I see that. Fortunately it's less common in QB then in the US, in my experience. I try to not break the track free even on the trail, nevermind the road or a parking lot.

I just looked at the FCMQ site news and I could not find any mention of this.

I would have thought a significant change like this it would be announce on FCMQ.

Full legislation in English here. http://www2.publicationsduquebec.gouv.qc.ca/dynamicSearch/telecharge.php?type=1&file=102444.pdf

Still not sure what this means exactly. Anyone on quebec rider have a law degree?? But there are some curious wordings. Particularly item 3 under Division II-special traffic rules.

And the wording of item 5 under Penal.

"The operator of an off-highway vehicle travelling on a public highway or in another place where the Highway Safety Code applies while equipped with non-skid devices that do not comply with the prescriptions of section 2 is guilty of an offence and is liable to a fine of $60 to $100"

It is the phrase non skid devices that do not comply with prescriptions in section 2 that leads me to think that as long as the traction device does comply with section 2 it is not fineable. And in section 2 it says that the studs need to be inserted in the tires or tracks in accordance to the recommendation of the stud manufacturer. So perhaps this is trying to cut down on home-brew studding solutions or aggressive competition style picks?

Pilot project on the use of slip on the tires or tracks off road vehicles

Montreal January 13, 2016 - The Quebec government recently introduced a pilot project to regulate the use of slip on off-road vehicles (Publicationico-external-link). Specifically, the order of the Minister, in its current wording and its interpretation, makes the use of illegal type snowmobile studs sunken roads and rails along the paths of portions via the highway. Pre-clinging caterpillars (using spikes embedded in the track) are currently tolerated.

The Federation of Snowmobile Clubs Quebec (FCMQ) cautions that its recommendations have not been taken into account and, by extension, is not involved in this project. FCMQ believes that track spikes are proven safety devices, proven not only specialized in many studies over the years, but also by their use by thousands of snowmobilers for many years.

FCMQ met instances of the Ministry of Transport of Quebec (MTQ) yesterday to discuss the issue. We will continue to work the case until we get a favorable outcome that reflects a fair and equitable way the proven advantages of these safety devices.

For more information about the pilot project and its application, we ask you to communicate directly with the MTQ to ministre@mtq.gouv.qc.ca

jean-guy

Unfortunately it's official. Press release by the FCMQ.

http://fcmq.qc.ca/press-release/?lang=en

PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE DISTRIBUTION

Pilot project concerning the use of non-skid devices on the tires or tracks of off-highway vehicles

Montreal, January 13th, 2016 – The Quebec government recently presented a pilot project whose purpose is to regulate the use of traction products on off-highway vehicles : Publication. More specifically, the Order of the Minister, in its current form and interpretation, makes all aftermarket track studs illegal at road crossing and on portions of trail which utilise road right-of-ways. Pre-studded tracks (which feature an integrally moulded stud) are, however, tolerated at this time.

The Federation des clubs de motoneigistes du Québec (FCMQ) wishes to inform its members that its recommendations in regards to this project were not retained and, as such, the FCMQ was not, and is not, a party to this project. The FCMQ is of the opinion that track studs are a proven safety device whose merit has been proven not only in numerous specialized studies, but also by thousands of snowmobilers over many years.

The FCMQ met with representatives of the Ministère des Transports du Québec (MTQ) yesterday in order to discuss this matter. We will continue to work on the file until such time as we obtain what we consider to be an outcome that is reflective of the proven safety attributes of traction products.

For additional information related to the pilot project and its application, you are asked to contact the MTQ directly at ministre@mtq.gouv.qc.ca

"The use of slip will be permitted from October 15 to May 1 on the tires or tracks of off-road vehicles covered by the Act respecting off-highway vehicles."

Does slip refer to studs? If it does, slip will be permitted during the winter months.

Am I reading this correctly?

Jack

I believe it is a bad translation, the document posted reads in the first line non skid devices.

In any event this is a sudden shock. Studded snow tires on cars are still allowed in Quebec as far as I know. This is a joke if someone actually believes this will reduce wear on asphalt roads, what's next banning carbides?

"makes all aftermarket track studs illegal at road crossing and on portions of trail which utilise road right-of-ways."

first I thought only "road crossings" (bare)..........but trails which utilize "road right of ways" could be a problem,.... using a shoulder and what if shared road is snow covered?, you still get a fine?

It will be easier for them to patrol a road section than an intersection!

Just my though on this...

Well it looks like it is time to start jumping those road crossings in order to be in compliance.

attachicon.gif image.png

I think Fozzy has something going on here

I think that is the answer for those guys with big studs. I have seen a video similar to the picture, however I don't recommend crossing close to gaurdrails, it didn't work out for the guy in the video!!

I saw that one too SM, not a good landing.

I believe it is a bad translation, the document posted reads in the first line non skid devices.

In any event this is a sudden shock. Studded snow tires on cars are still allowed in Quebec as far as I know. This is a joke if someone actually believes this will reduce wear on asphalt roads, what's next banning carbides?

As everyone here knows the FCMQ needs to burn the midnight oil to make a wrong a right. :help:

I sent my brief note / objection to ministre@mtq.gouv.qc.ca I hope others do as well.... :aggressive:

I just sent my objection also. I have 3 machines and none are studded at this time but this still ticks me off. Living in Quebec we have some of the rougest roads in North America, full of pot holes bumps and cracks and they are worried about studs scuffing up the crossings? Seems to me someone's priorities are a little off the mark.

Press release from FCMQ!

Montreal, January 13th, 2016 – The Quebec government recently presented a pilot project whose purpose is to regulate the use of traction products on off-highway vehicles : Publication. More specifically, the Order of the Minister, in its current form and interpretation, makes all aftermarket track studs illegal at road crossing and on portions of trail which utilise road right-of-ways. Pre-studded tracks (which feature an integrally moulded stud) are, however, tolerated at this time.
The Federation des clubs de motoneigistes du Québec (FCMQ) wishes to inform its members that its recommendations in regards to this project were not retained and, as such, the FCMQ was not, and is not, a party to this project. The FCMQ is of the opinion that track studs are a proven safety device whose merit has been proven not only in numerous specialized studies, but also by thousands of snowmobilers over many years.
The FCMQ met with representatives of the Ministère des Transports du Québec (MTQ) yesterday in order to discuss this matter. We will continue to work on the file until such time as we obtain what we consider to be an outcome that is reflective of the proven safety attributes of traction products.
For additional information related to the pilot project and its application, you are asked to contact the MTQ directly at ministre@mtq.gouv.qc.ca

As everyone here knows the FCMQ needs to burn the midnight oil to make a wrong a right. :help:

I sent my brief note / objection to ministre@mtq.gouv.qc.ca I hope others do as well.... :aggressive:

Patrick M. O’Reilly

xx xxxxxxxxxx xx.
xxxxx xxxxxx, NY xxxxx
Dear Sirs;
I write to ask you to reconsider the recent prohibition wherein snowmobiles equipped with studs are prohibited from crossing roadways at trail / road junctions. Snow machines outfitted with studs have in part made the snow machine industry much safer. To encourage persons to operate snow machines without studs is at a minimum negligent as accidents and deaths, as they are associated with snowmobiles will increase . Please reconsider this recent law change. If enforced the recent law will have a ripple effect on the Quebec economy as it relates in part to tourism, snow machine registrations and lodging.
For further comment I may be reached at pmoreilly@optonline.net . or by U.S. mail at xx xxxxxxxxxx xx, xxxx xxxxxx.
Thank you for your time and concern on this matter.
Respectfully and sincerely,
Patrick M. O’Reilly

On behalf of the Transport Minister, Mr. Robert Poëti, I acknowledge receipt of your message.

Rest assured that we will take your comments into consideration.

Sincerely yours,

Adjointe du directeur de cabinet

Cabinet du ministre des Transports et

ministre responsable de la région de Montréal

Édifice de la Haute-Ville

700, boulevard René-Lévesque Est

29e étage

Québec (Québec) G1R 5H1

Téléphone : 418 643-6980

Télécopieur : 418 643-2033

Edited by nyskidooerinnewhampshire

This part confused me though:

DIVISION II SPECIAL TRAFFIC RULES 3. Despite section 441 of the Highway Safety Code, non-skid devices may be used, from 15 October of a year to 1 May of the following year, on the tires or tracks of any off-highway vehicle operated on public highways and in other places where the Highway Safety Code applies. However, this section does not authorize the operation of off-highway vehicles on public highways and in other places where the Highway Safety Code applies, except for the purposes of section 11 of the Act respecting offhighway vehicles.

Isn't this saying that the pilot is not in effective from Oct 15 through May 1?