No more STUDS in QUEBEC??

lindasledgirl

my 2 cents worth sent to the Minister today for what its worth!!

I am very disappointed to hear that I will not be able to spend my winter tourism dollars in the Gaspe area this year ( and perhaps never again based on this foolish law).

Many responsible snowmobilers have aftermarket studs in our tracks for safety reasons.

Myself I ride a Touring 2 up sled and many times would have had to either turn around and try to find an alternate route ( if there was one ) or return the way I had come because of icey conditions. With studs I continue to be able to control the sled and ride safe .

I suggest that running a sled these days without studs is very unsafe.

Snowmobile trail conditions ( in all Provinces ) constantly change due to weather/elevation and traffic on them. Many times a nice smooth groomed trail can become icey overnight. Turns and some hills that are icey become treacherous for the sleds that are not studded.

To enact a law that aftermarket anti-slide devices are no longer legal for road crossings is foolish at best. Was any consideration given by Gov't to even consult the Federation of Snowmobile Clubs ?? It appears not based on the press this matter is getting.

Unfortunately our group has now cancelled our Hotel Reservations in Rimouski and other areas further into the Gaspe for our normal trips this year. We are responsible sledders and do not want the hassle of now being ticketed like common criminals at road crossings.

We average $1000-1200 each for our 5 day ride. This is revenue for the Federation ( permit cost ) as well as hotels and fuel .

We have been coming to your beautiful trail system for years and are normally a group of 5-6 x 2 times a year.

It may not sound like much but to the local Hotels / Service Stations / Dealers etc it will be a tragic loss of Business.

$10,000-$12,000 a trip will now be spent in NB instead of QC. This is from our little group alone.

Taxation dollars are being thrown away by this little thought-out law!

Just a shame that Politicians did not consult or do their homework at all before announcing this oh so foolish law !!

Regards

My full sig on the actual email.

former Winter Tourism client

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very well done! There are people from all over emailing so let's hope this will help...soon.

I do think that it's odd that we haven't had better clarification yet from anyone. The rule is at best very confusing.

Linda

This part confused me though:

DIVISION II SPECIAL TRAFFIC RULES 3. Despite section 441 of the Highway Safety Code, non-skid devices may be used, from 15 October of a year to 1 May of the following year, on the tires or tracks of any off-highway vehicle operated on public highways and in other places where the Highway Safety Code applies. However, this section does not authorize the operation of off-highway vehicles on public highways and in other places where the Highway Safety Code applies, except for the purposes of section 11 of the Act respecting offhighway vehicles.

Isn't this saying that the pilot is not in effective from Oct 15 through May 1?

This is what we had hoped they would clarify. Hopefully soon.

Having experience with organized snowmobiling and working to making changes in government decision it has been proven many many times the squeaky wheel gets the grease! I strong urge people to send an email to the minister voicing your opinion on this. The letter sent by EXT is a great example of what gets notice. Telling the minister the economic impact of this law, and the fact that you will continue this sport but will go to another province to do it.

It is surprising how much impact this type of letter can cause. Remember it only takes a few minutes to sculpt an good letter like this and we could be sledding fully studded again!

FWIW - in 40 years of riding in Quebec it has always amazed me how few of the local sleds have any studs at all. That said, the trails are rarely in a condition to merit the snocross-type studding that many Americans are addicted to.

I have used the IceRippers for 10 years and over 30,000 miles and never looked back. You won't win any drag races against "studded" sleds across frozen ponds, but they do the job on Quebec trails every track I've owned looks like new even after 10,000 miles.

Just my two cents...

GW

Really though to cancel rooms and trips? Each of us spend thousands on snowmobile trips each year for our own enjoyment but your willing to give it all up at the drop of a hat for $100 fine. Don't get me wrong if no one puts up a fight it won't get changed but if you are not having enough fun to spend another $100 you are doing it wrong.

Really though to cancel rooms and trips? Each of us spend thousands on snowmobile trips each year for our own enjoyment but your willing to give it all up at the drop of a hat for $100 fine. Don't get me wrong if no one puts up a fight it won't get changed but if you are not having enough fun to spend another $100 you are doing it wrong.

100 bucks for each offense ....Could be multiple in a day and who knows how many in a season ....It is outright wrong ...

IMO it is no coincidence they dropped this bomb at the time they did , after all the permits were purchased and a percentage of rooms booked.

100 bucks for each offense ....Could be multiple in a day and who knows how many in a season ....It is outright wrong ...

IMO it is no coincidence they dropped this bomb at the time they did , after all the permits were purchased and a percentage of rooms booked.

I find it hard to believe that they did this when they did just because they knew people had already invested in their trips. IMO it was a lack of thought of what the conciquences could be and maybe a little lack of knowledge about what they are really dealing with. BUT then again we are talking about polititions! I sure they are no different in Canada as they are here in the States!

This change reads similar to Michigan s back in the 90s. They retracted the move with in a year. Tourism was harmed.

I'd like to hear the options of trail enforcement officers. They ride.

Personally haven't used them in ten plus years. Only a handful of times I felt they would be useful. Mostly long wood bridges paddels spin out easly in them.

Maybe riders will actually slow down and ride conditions that would be a good thing

Are you surprised, I've lived in Quebec all my life I'm 61 yrs old.it's just another money grab.just like our vehicle registrations,they announced a drop of app 60.00 on your fees but they raise the cylinder tax,Ram went from 170 to 233 so now that's 450 yearly and my challenger went from 170 to 310 plus 1% for value over 40000 so that should cost around 700.Third world country's probably have better roads than we do and I ain't kidding I guess they need the money so they can give bombardier their 1.3 Billon and prop up the office de langue francais

Seems to me its another case of throttle jockeys hurting our sport. I cringe when I see someone spinning their studded track across the road for no reason.

My favorite is the Yamaha Apex's trying to backup at gas pumps with the studs. It seems with those sleds in particular when the clutch engages the RPM's are already so high that it sits there and spins. Kind of hard to feather that throttle. My GSX can be the same way if I grab too much thumb too quickly.

Yea, but how many roads do you cross a day? I doubt it will happen but you could be looking at many fines over a given week. Not worth it to me, No Quebec this year if they don't change it. A lot of people buy their passes when they go up so this will definitely hurt permits sales

Riddle me this....

If the same minestere du Transports can make a law for the mandatory use of winter tires in Quebec, yet not apply that law to vehicles from the USA then it sure seems to me they can do the same with this new regulation for sleds.

Once it begins to really impact tourism that is probably what will happen.

Just make it so sleds not registered in the Province of Quebec are exempt from the regulation.

They do it now for vehicles and the winter tires.

Hmmmmmm

I have read the regulation several times and I think that between the dates listed studs installed as per manufacturers recommendations are allowed just as studded snow tires are allowed between certain dates, this may be aimed more at atv riders that don't remove ice screws during the non winter months. Just my take and maybe everyone is losing their mind for no reason. Clearly the FCMQ needs to get a clarification of the convoluted legal speak and references to other parts of the highway code

Yea, but how many roads do you cross a day? I doubt it will happen but you could be looking at many fines over a given week. Not worth it to me, No Quebec this year if they don't change it. A lot of people buy their passes when they go up so this will definitely hurt permits sales

I understand that line of reasoning Gizz but don't really agree. First of all how many times have you been stopped and written up for anything in Quebec would you say they are targeting snowmobilers for anything other than trail passes? Second, if you were stopped in PA on the way to your camp and given a citation for a studded tire violation on April 20th and were stopped two more times that day and one on your way home the next and showed them the citation would you expect to get written up again? third and probably the most selfish on my part, sounds like less traffic for me :rofl:

I have read the regulation several times and I think that between the dates listed studs installed as per manufacturers recommendations are allowed just as studded snow tires are allowed between certain dates, this may be aimed more at atv riders that don't remove ice screws during the non winter months. Just my take and maybe everyone is losing their mind for no reason. Clearly the FCMQ needs to get a clarification of the convoluted legal speak and references to other parts of the highway code

That's why we have emailed for clarification. But so far they have not said it doesn't apply to us in winter. If that were the case, you'd think they would simply say it doesn't apply to us.

Hopefully it gets sorted soon!! The threads are going crazy.

Linda

I have been traveling to Quebec since 1998, I am sure the QPP have not stopped me in a check point more than 6 times. An out of area rider in Quebec on a trip could possibly get stopped, however I suspect there will be a lot of warnings handed out this season. The mouthy riders will get a ticket. I would certainly not cancel any rooms or trip plans because of this, that would be crazy.

Just my opinion

Riddle me this....

If the same minestere du Transports can make a law for the mandatory use of winter tires in Quebec, yet not apply that law to vehicles from the USA then it sure seems to me they can do the same with this new regulation for sleds.

Once it begins to really impact tourism that is probably what will happen.

Just make it so sleds not registered in the Province of Quebec are exempt from the regulation.

They do it now for vehicles and the winter tires.

Hmmmmmm

we don't have to register our trucks in Quebec to drive there but we do have to register our sleds there.

we don't have to register our trucks in Quebec to drive there but we do have to register our sleds there.

Ok then, if buying a pass is registering by your definition. You got me.

Why would ATV riders keep ice screws in tires year round? Stud rips out causing a posible air leak...don't think this is the logic behind the law change.

Have not used studs on my last 2 sleds and can only recall a handful of instances where they were necessary.

I'm sure the law will be revised as they figure out what is happening and businesses complain about loss of revenue.

Off road vehicles are different. Trails are not funded or covered with funding derived from federal taxes. Funding comes from permits, with a possible surcharge to out of state residents. Look at Massachusetts fees on their dcr website.

I encountered a police checkpoint today & I asked the female officer if she wanted to check my stud but she said she didn't have her magnifying glass & micrometer LOL

But seriously we need to voice our opinion on this issue

We actually did encounter a check point and the officer asked if I spoke French when I said no he gave my sled the once over & waved us on

When a law like this becomes effective, it is seldom enforced. I wouldn't worry about it.

Maine passed a law that your headlights must be on when it is raining. Four years later not one ticket had been written for that offense in Maine.