"Call to action" to Quebec Transport's pilot project "stud ban"

Greg du Vermont

Our organized response is needed and your assistance is immediately requested.

Needless to say this news has been a shock to many without any reasonable notice. I am personally effected as much as anyone.

FCMQ's input on this subject was totally dismissed and they are also furiously working on efforts to immediately delay or recall this ill advised ruling.

Our SledMagazine.com and Motoneiges.ca magazines are actively joining in the effort to organize facts, response and objection to this pilot project.

I ask for your time in sending me your reaction and comments on the following

What is your reaction to this sudden news?

How will this action impact your personal (and you groups) immediate participation in Quebec snowmobiling experience?

How will this action effect the perception of Quebec snowmobiling?

Even if you are not a stud user, we ask for your opinions on this.

How do you categorize the use or your use of traction products?

How do you think a stud ban will affect future or new American QuebecRiders?

I ask that you please take the time to offer your realistic, concerned and respectful thoughts now and email them to me at

greg.gilbert@motoneiges.ca

SledMagazine.com / Motoneiges.ca will organize QuebecRider responses for maximum consideration and impact.

If you have already forwarded a response or post a reply in this thread for others to see, please take the time to forward it to me at the above address.

Time is critical as I believe that everyday that this news spreads or that this action is not reversed, irreparable damage is being done to the enjoyment of our passion and Quebec's winter economy.

They seem to be looking into regulating studding like some US states have done. Their argument is that the studs tear up the asphalt. This is especially true when carbides dig in and you start veering off course. I have seen people actually gun it to bring the ass end around to point it in the right direction. Most of the guys I ride with install those spring loaded wheels that mount to the ski/spindle. Whenever we come to a crossing, or have to drive down a road into a gas station, down go the wheels and then you can steer the sled on the pavement. Traveling is effortless and there is no need to slip the track. When you get back into the snow, the wheels automatically spring up out of the way. To force sledders not to stud is dangerous. how many times have you gone into an icy turn that you know if it wasn't for studs, you would sail off course, possibly into a tree. There has to be a workable solution.

This post has been emailed to Greg.

Edited by Greasemonkey

I'm curious if BRP can/had provided any input given they're Quebec based and activists for the sport and safety. Clearly, they have their factory Rip tracks that they'd love to sell, but hopefully BRP recognizes that they could be extremely influential in convincing the Govt of the dangers of No Studs. Then allow, as someone mentioned yesterday here, a 1-3 year window for full compliance.

I'm also a BRP shareholder and as much as its a great opportunity to sell new tracks, I'd be shocked if someone at HQ couldn't get access to the right people to discuss.

Edited by NJSkidoo

I'm curious if BRP can/had provided any input given they're Quebec based and activists for the sport and safety. Clearly, they have their factory Rip tracks that they'd love to sell, but hopefully BRP recognizes that they could be extremely influential in convincing the Govt of the dangers of No Studs. Then allow, as someone mentioned yesterday here, a 1-3 year window for full compliance.

I'm also a BRP shareholder and as much as its a great opportunity to sell new tracks, I'd be shocked if someone at HQ couldn't get access to the right people to discuss.

I didn't know BRP made tracks.

BRP sells pre-studded tracks from Camoplast, and lots of studs from Woodies. No idea which sells more for them in a given season?

I know,the comment I sarcastically replied to, made it sound like he thought BRP actually made the track.

When I first head of this new ordinance I was ticked because it does affect me personally as my sled is studded, and I've always ridden with studs, and I personally believe that studs are necessary for safety and I wouldn't ride without them. But after some more thought, I came to understand why it is so important for EVERY Quebec snowmobiler to challenge this ordinance.

I'm not sure what was the motivation behind this "pilot program." Whether it be to prevent road damage, environmental concern, or political posturing against the FCMQ, what is clear is that the minister of transport, under the policies afforded by these pilot programs, can make whatever rules they wish on moment's notice, for a period of up to three years. So today it is after market studded tracks, next month it could be all studded tracks, next month it could be ban on carbide runners, after that, 2 stroke engines. The possibilities are endless.

The reason that is so important that all Quebec snowmobilers regardless on your opinion on studded tracks, unite on this subject is because we need to show that making such drastic and sudden changes that affect our sport will have consequences, whether it be monetary, or lighting up the phone lines, emails, letters, etc... If they have sense that there is no opposition to these ordinances by the snowmobile community *at large* then it reinforces the concept that they can make such rules without resistance or consequences.

What this opens up is a path for the environmental lobbyists(who are extremely vocal), residents that oppose snowmobiling, pretty much anyone who is anti-snowmobile to lobby with the minister of transport office to use the pilot program as a loophole to hamper the sport we all love.

So we all need to write letters. Phone calls, any call to action that makes it known that the entire snowmobile community will not stand by silent while lawmakers diminish our sport. This afternoon I am going to be calling a hotel owner with whom we book rooms every year to make sure that he knows that it is now illegal for a segment of the snowmobile population to access his hotel. I think it is important for all businesses that will be affected by decreased snowmobile patronage to understand this as well and take it up with their respective organizations to lobby against such laws.

Many QRs continue to reply. Comments have been respectful, thoughtful, realistic and direct. Keep them coming. The pressure and messages must continue to come from all directions. greg.gilbert@motoneiges.ca

What's next? No carbide runners because they also impact the roads? The MTQ is uniformed and misguided on this. They must be taken to task on this action. Retraction, clarification, moratorium, exemption? . We can not sit idle and wait to see how this works out or if you happen to get a ticket. It needs to be fixed immediately. If they want our continued positive economic impact, they must take our minor traction product impact.

Show me the data on this. What is the damage, what is the cost to repair, how much is being spent to repair? Is the damage higher in some areas than others? What will be the injury and sled damage costs? Will the 3 year pilot chart this? A lot of passion here but let us have the facts please so we can all try to understand what is driving this. Perhaps there are better solutions if there is a problem.

Yes, studs do damage pavement, but I have not seen them grind through to the base, nor have I seen repair work at a crossing.

This is such a mess...I have a pre-studded track, so it doesn't affect me personally, however it is really affecting a lot of people in the industry. So I would like to do as much as I can. Lots of people cancelling and even more are angry with this decision. I agree with you Greg, we need to say something.

Thanks for your hard work,

Linda

Show me the data on this. What is the damage, what is the cost to repair, how much is being spent to repair? Is the damage higher in some areas than others? What will be the injury and sled damage costs? Will the 3 year pilot chart this? A lot of passion here but let us have the facts please so we can all try to understand what is driving this. Perhaps there are better solutions if there is a problem.

Yes, studs do damage pavement, but I have not seen them grind through to the base, nor have I seen repair work at a crossing.

Great questions vtdave, however they don't have to show or tell anything....they make the laws!! However we the people/sledders have to dispute it and inform the the negative economic impact of the the law, not to mention the safety issues.

In Vermont it's obvious where the trail crossings are from the stud damage, but it's not like it's a big deal and its nothing like potholes, plus most of that damage is rider error. I'd be more concerned with the damage to the gas stations and hotels. Often hotels have fancy brickwork scratched up. I have no idea why pre studded tracks are any different, unless the police chiefs brother in law works for camoplast.

You also have to wonder, how much financial impact there may be from all the ever active lawyers, looking for an accident victim. There is a lot of common sense logic to posts here, safety, minimal permanent road damage, financial impact to cancelled trips, or decrease in registration renewals. The exchange rate as it is right now, makes Quebec financially attractive similar to late 90's, but everyone is buzzing about this very contrary action, not in a good way. Just my 2 cents.

Thank you for the many responses that have been sent

More questions as to the possible logic of this and WE should do something are great. But you need to act.

Please keep your targeted comments coming to me at greg.gilbert@motoneiges.ca or submit them directly to ministre@mtq.gouv.qc.ca

I continue to forward dozens of responses daily to the following questions.

What is your reaction to this sudden news?

How will this action impact your personal (and you groups) immediate participation in Quebec snowmobiling experience?

How will this action effect the perception of Quebec snowmobiling?

How do you categorize the use or your use of traction products?

How do you think a stud ban will affect future or new American QuebecRiders?

Even if you are not personally effected, you should still have an opinion on the overall implication of this.

Add your voice to this issue and offer your respectful thoughts and email them to me at

greg.gilbert@motoneiges.ca

SledMagazine.com / Motoneiges.ca will continue to organize responses for maximum highlight and impact.

UPDATE Due to this "call to action" effort a MTQ official has directly reached out to me (not the auto reply) and invited a further exchange of information. I don't know if this contact can direct us towards or stimulate the necessary change. It is my sincere effort on behalf of all QuebecRiders and the Quebec snowmobiling industry to do all I personally can to right this ill advised wrong.

Hi Greg,

I just sent you an e-mail going into a little more detail.

So everyone else can ponder this and come up with a few more ideas.

Don`t we pay a tax for every liter of gasoline that we buy for our snomobiles? Isn`t this tax supposed to go to the repair and maintenance of the roads?

Jack & Sandi

This is Quebec Revct1, have'nt you seen the roads here. That tax is probably funding 10% of what it's intended on to and the balance probable goes toward the capital funding Ministeres retirement portfolios.

Just saying as a Quebec resident.

Drive the roads here, one mayor in Dorval, west island of MTL puts out a reward to citizens if they could find a pot hole large enough to fill a chicken.

I wish the taxes that Quebec residents pay and that would be on an enormous level compared to some states would actually go towards the intended use.

Stud laws makes no sense

Another portfolio funding project

Edited by Trailblazer

Glad to see reconsideration and retraction by the Transport Ministry on this misguided regulation. Thanks Greg - and everyone else - for all the efforts pointing out how unfortunate this would be for our sport. This is what it takes to preserve it.

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54