2016 Riviere du Loup Trail Conditions

mikerider

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Checking weather sites looks like a small snow event Wednesday, some mention a quick rain shower afterwards, warm Thursday and cold again after.

Fingers and toes crossed here in Shawinigan. If need be we truck north.

Fingers and toes crossed here in Shawinigan. If need be we truck north.

Ice

We plan on riding out of Grand Mere on Monday the 8th. Our orig plan was to buzz down to TR, shuttle across, and ride to Lac Etchemin the first day. Cabano the next day, then on to Amqui. Prospects don't appear real bright for that route, at present. Shure would appreciate hearing how conditions shape up in the lower Maurice by the weekend.

regards

timbo

Hi Timbo,

We just came up in the truck today. We are at Roquemont in St Raymond. South of the river along autoroute 20 looked pretty thin. Drummondville was brown with just a few icy spots. Closer to Quebec there is more ice than snow. Questionable if it is worth riding on in the current condition. Check the weather because there is a storm tomorrow, Wednesday, coming thru with snow to the north but I don't know what the south will pick up.

The front desk here says the first 20 miles or so is pretty rough. Once the trail gets past the Relais St Raymond it goes up in elevation and the conditions are supposed to be good from there to Lac St Jean.

I'll post tomorrow.

Jack & Sandi

Got 3 or 4 inches today and now has let up to flurries. Talked to two Canadians this afternoon who left RDL this morning and headed down towards New Brunswick for lunch, then return.

Said with the new snow riding was really nice. Their ride was on trails that still had a hard base of snow underneath.

So there may be hope. That is south, who knows about east and west,

mike

Had 3 or 4 inches of fluff yesterday and last evening had a heavy drizzle for several hours.

Conditions look hopeful today, but my concern of course is the areas that became bare during the last warm event.

Will ride today and check things out. I think many areas will be fine, those areas that saved the snow base over the past week.

Saw the two Canadian again last night in the bar, they again said riding yesterday down 85 towards New Brunswick was awesome.

I'm just not sure yet if I would spend a vacation here under these fragile conditions without getting more snow. The forecasts are calling for snow the next several days but not saying how much.

Stay tuned.

mike

Went out for 75 miles this morning. Temps rose to about 35 F. First went east, trail #5, and at times could feel the carbides running on ice under the snow, but traction and steering good.

Got up into the power line section and higher elevation and quite thin snow cover but everything groomed.

Turned around and returned to RDL and went south on the RR bed, trail #85. Much better, could feel very hard snow under the few inches of new snow. Any bumps in trail hard as a brick.

Plenty of lube and cooling everywhere.

Overall, just not enjoyable like riding on packed powder. RDL got snow here about ten days ago. Forty miles west of here got rain and was very thin when I was there this past Sunday, so can only be worse now.

So overall, passable but not that enjoyable in the area. Knowing what I know, I would not come here today to start a vacation, would go elsewhere.

Several forecasts of snow coming up but no predictions to depth yet. Need a foot.

mike

Hey Mike,

Thanks for all your reports & recon efforts! We all appreciate them very much. You are our eyes & sled on the ground reporter in RDL & surrounds.

Hopefully a Polar Vortex & a nor'easter or two & conditions will jump to A+ so we can get some more Gaspesie medication this year!

Best,

Tom

Thanks for the nice comments. Up til now has been a great winter of seeing so many of you stopping by.

The two new outdoor hot tubs now have waterfalls in them, I will somehow survive!

Still a quite a few sledders coming and going from here, so hotel is somewhat active.

But riding really isn't very good in my opinion.

mike

Good news!

Today we rode from 55/75 East to St Pamphile, then across 557 from the golf course to RDL.

There is 3-4 inches of new snow throughout the trip, which saved the trails around Beauceville and RDL. Once you get about 8 miles out of Beauceville , things get better quickly. A+ conditions for most of the trip. 10 miles from RDL, you can see that there is lots of ice and dirt in spots, but the new snow did a nice job of hiding it and providing lube and steering.

The truck lot here is jammed with trailers of groups doing the loop. I would not hesitate.

Reports here are that Rt 5 needs more snow west of RDL.

Good luck!

GW