2016 Jack & Sandi's Trip

revct1

So we leave Relais Jasmine and head east on 35. Oh this is so nice. Recently groomed with a little fresh powder on the trail. Sandi is in the lead and making tracks. I'm in her dust and having a great time. Plenty of snow cover. We haven't seen too many sleds today. There were a few at Jasmine but far from crowded.

We keep on 35. The regional green trails look very good also but 35 is where we stay. 55 miles later we are at the junction with 526. We turn left to get on 526 at Relais Montagne Blue but there is a train parked where the trail crosses the tracks. Oh no! I look to the right. It is a long train. I look to the left and I can see the end of the train and a couple of sleds trying to get around the train and run back down the opposite side of the tracks. That is the way we're going. I motion to Sandi to follow me.

We get to the other sleds and see that there is more than two. The train was blocking our vision. A couple of the guys are tugging on the sleds to spin them around and get over the rails. One guy comes over to me and starts speaking French. I ask him if he speaks English. Yes. They are from upstate New York.

This is great. Everybody helps each other get over the tracks and around the train. We stop before crossing the road and chat about how great the conditions are. They are staying at the Comfort Inn. Thanks guys and girls for helping.

Sandi and I take off on 526. What a beautiful ride. It is just starting to get dark now. The trail is perfect. We follow 526 all the way into Hotel Universal. A few truck and trailers here but far from full.

We are excited. We made it without any mishaps even in spite of the train. It appears that this is some of the best riding at this time South of the river. We will be looking for Mike in the morning.

Til then

Jack & Sandi

This morning we leave Universal and head east on 5. It was gromed last night but the first 10 - 15 miles are a little thin. We were told that the fields near the river had gotten wind blown pretty bad. It is passable but a little dirt and straw showing. As we climb up into the woods, the snow is getting deeper and the trail is getting smoother. Nice riding.

5 is in really good shape. We stop at Relais Trois Pistoles for a short break. A few sleds here. Being Saturday we are expecting some traffic. We continue on. 5 just keeps getting better. We run to Relais L'etang du Moulin which is right on the power lines well before Rimouski. It is lunch time and the sleds are rolling in. We go in and have our lunch. I don't see any sleds from the States. Everyone is Québec plated. That is fine. All of the locals are out enjoying the trails.

After lunch we u-turn and head back 5 to the junction of 571 where we turn left heading south. Everything is groomed. It is overcast today with a little snow forecast for tonight.

We turn right on 544 and then 565 back to 85. All of this was groomed last night. A few drifts in the fields but great running. At 85 we head north back towards Riviere-du-loup. 85 is perfect. It was perfect last night when we came in and it looks like they had groomed it again. Thanks to all the groomers.

Not sure where we are going tomorrow. We're going to be here a couple more days.

Jack & Sandi

I'm gonna try this again.

Nice report Jack. Glad to hear that conditions are improving. We have a trip planned to begin at Bernieres in about a week. We were getting a little worried. Hope you and Sandy have a nice trip and hopefully our paths will cross again this year.

Be safe, Jeff and Sandy, (northbound)

Last night we had a light snow. A couple of centimeters.

We jump on the sleds and head west on 5. This has just been groomed and with a little dusting of snow, wow! Keep going Sandi. We continue on and turn left onto 561. Oops this is a little rough. We cross a small bridge and then it is groomed again. We pick up 35 heading east. This is nice. Just before Pohenegamook there is a detour sign pointing to the left for 35. Maybe the lake crossing isn't frozen yet.

We turn left following the detour. A little rough in here. A few miles into it and we pick up 544. This is in better shape. We turn right and follow 544 to the 35 junction. We again head east on 35 and stop at Relais Chevalier des Frontières Pohenegamook. A big crowd in here for brunch. A lot of cars and sleds. We take a break and have a little soup for lunch. It has been a light snow most of the morning with a few breaks of sun.

After lunch we continue on 35. The map shows it as 548 but we saw signs saying 35. We join 85 just above Cabano. We turn right and run down to the Shell station in Cabano and tank up. At the gas station we meet part of Team Maine. A quick hi and we take off heading back up 85.

We are early so at 544 we turn left and run up to 526 and then 5 back into Riviere-du-loup. 526 and 5 were still fine. A few snow squalls this afternoon.

Another nice ride today. The snow is great here. It snowed enough today to cover up most of the ugly stuff where it was thin. The snow coverage isn`t deep but it sure looks good.

Looking forward to another day of riding tomorrow.

Jack & Sandi

So I wasn't crazy yesterday with trail 35. I looked a little closer at the FCMQ map and it does show a change in 35. On the old and current paper maps, 35 runs from Pohenegamook South to the New Brunswick border and 548 runs east and joins with trail 85 at St Louis du Ha Ha.

Now on the FCMQ interactive map it shows trail 35 replacing 548 and joining 85. The old 35 is now posted as a continuation of 561.

The wine hasn't totally burned me out yet!

We have a few more days of riding.

Jack & Sandi

What Jack is reporting about trail #35 is important. I was over at Squatec today and went on to Rimouski. From these two points it is being changed over from 548 to now becoming trail 35. The old 548 signs are still up but have an X thru them and new 35 signs are up. This does not show on the new maps.

Looks like they are extending 35 easterly, at least to Rimouski. Very nice new bridge just east of Squatec.

mike

We wish a good ride to Phil, Tom and VJ on thier trek around Gaspe.

Today we leave the hotel and are planning on heading west. Maybe the local trail along the river or maybe 5. As we leave the hotel, we see that trail 5 was just groomed. At the top of the hill where the local trail breaks off to the right, the local trail isn`t groomed. The groomer stayed on 5. Sandi and I look at each other and point towards trail 5. Off we go.

We turn right on 5 west at Relais Aventuriers. 5 is so much fun. A nice gently rolling trail winding thru the woods. Going thru St Bruno and Mont Carmel the trail has a little chatter to it. Not bad but not the pristine ride up to that point. We continue on and just after Mont Carmel the groomer had passed. Back on pristine. We stop at Hiboux for lunch.

What a nice ride. It has been a few years since we have ridden 5 in this great a condition. After lunch we u-turn and ride back 10 miles and then take the short connector south down to 35. We turn left and follow the railbed to 557 north. Everything is beautiful.

We get back up to 5 and turn right, east. A few miles later we see the groomer coming towards us taking care of that short stretch that wasn`t done last night. Thank you groomers. You`re doing a fantastic job.

We stay on 5 back to the Universal.

There is plenty of great riding up here. Only 15 miles or so that weren`t perfect and that is getting groomed as I type.

Forecast is for 5-10 cm tonight and tomorrow. That will only make things better.

Goodnight and happy trails to everyone.

Jack & Sandi

Today we wake up to a little snow. Yea!

We were going to head east on trail 5 but the forecast is for strong winds today. Hmm. The power lines in strong wind and drifting? No we`ll stay inland and maybe more in the woods.

We head down 85 and after Club Aventuriers we take the first local trail to the left. This connects to 544. It was groomed last night and no one has been on it yet. A couple of inches of fresh snow. A quick jaunt and we are at 544. We turn left and keep cruising. A little breezy in spots and some small drifting. We run 544 until the junction with 571 where we turn South. Somone has been on this recently.

We run down to Squatec for lunch. A few sleds in the parking lot. A nice little restaurant in the center of town. A Crevier station just down the street to tank up at too.

After lunch we take 548 (new 35) back towards 85. This must have been groomed this morning because there aren`t any drifts or tracks on the trail. The first part of this is the VTT trail and it is wide and smooth. 20 miles out and here is the groomer turning around to make his return trip.

The next leg on 548 is fine. This looks like it was probably groomed within the past day. We cross over the highway at St Louis du Ha Ha and "T" with 85. It is time to head back to RDL. I don`t believe it. 85 has been groomed again. They must be grooming this at least every other day. Perfect once again. Sandi is in the lead and I`m in the snow fog. What else is new. Oh this is great!

We arrive back at the Universal and put the sleds in the garage for one more night. Tomorrow we head to Lac Etchemin.

See you then.

Jack & Sandi

Jack and Sandi

Love your reports, very detailed and informative, I almost feel like I'm there riding with you guys.

A big thanks for sharing, you guys have contributed so much to Quebec Rider members.

More mile = more smiles.

Thanks guys. It is fun to do things together that we both enjoy so much. We didn't have a computer last night so I will make believe it is yesterday.

Today we check out of the Universal and head for Lac Etchemin. 5 looks good so we run this for about 18 miles to the little connector trail that drops us down to 526. 526 to 35 is fantastic. Most of the trail has been groomed. A quick run down 35 and we are at Relais Jasmine. We fill up the sleds and go inside for a bit to eat.

We decide to drop down to 55 since we came out 35 a week ago. 55 is so nice. Gentle rolling hills and fresh groomed again.

I will continue on the Chaudiere-Appalaches forum for the rest of the trip.

Jack & Sandi

• 1 month later...

Continuation for this trip from Bernieres.

We are on trail 35. Chatter bumps, fluffy snow and a lot of sleds. Can still run along at a good clip but not table top conditions. We cross the train tracks at the 526 junction. This clubhouse is pretty busy too. 526 is looking a little bit better. Just cruising along. We get to the junction with the local trail to 544 and 526 is perfect. Ah the club has made the loop from RDL. 526 is so nice all the way to 85. Left on 85 and this too is so good even late in the afternoon. The rest of the way into Universal is good.

Universal is packed. Cars, trucks, trailers and sleds everywhere. We check in and drive around to our room. Look at that orange SkiDoo with the Dodge truck parked next to it. That is MikeRider's equipment. I go over and knock on the door. Hey Mike. A little conversation and we will catch up with Mike later for a cup of red tea!

Everything is unloaded, sleds are locked up and it is time to rest up.

5 in the Montmagny area was really trashed. The rest of the ride was good to excellent. Heading back to Bernieres tomorrow. I said it was a short trip this time.

Jack & Sandi

Hey Jack and Sandi! Are you headed back to CT, or nord for the gathering? I just got back from a 3 day run with Trailblazer. Staying home just long enough to repack, load Molly and her sled up and head back Wed night for 6 more days! Maybe see you? Terry

Hi Terry,

Hard decision but we brought everything home this trip. We had a good year considering the snow conditions. I have to post the last day's ride yet.

Stay in touch for next season.

Jack & Sandi

So Sunday we get up and the weather looks beautiful.

We leave the Universal on 85 / 526. Just groomed right from the hotel's parking lot. A couple of sleds got out before us so we aren't first but that is OK. Such a nice ride. We stay on 526 until the junction with 35 at the railroad tracks. 35 wasn't groomed last night but it is still good. We get to the junction where 557 heads south to St Pamphile which is the way we are going today but 35 is groomed from here towards Tourville and 557 isn't groomed. Stay on 35 and go. Oh this is smoother than most roads.

At 55 we head south towards St Pamphile.

I'll finish up on the Chaudière section.

Jack & Sandi