Two Day Run from Levis

neksledr

Myself and my wife drove up from Vermont Thursday night arriving at Bernieres around 10pm. While loading up sleds in the morning I noticed a CT plated truck and trailer loading sleds outside our room. Upon closer inspection, it turned out to be none other than the infamous Jack and Sandi duo! Nice to put faces to Québec rider names. After some trail talk, we headed out with RDL as our destination. We took 75 to 5, slid south on 547 to 35, then ran 35 all the way east to 526, then finished on 85 into the Universal in RDL. Total miles were 210.

Some trail notes:

* 5 was tough in and out of a few towns, particularly Saint Henri. Little or no snow on roads and sidewalks.

* 35 was a little loud on the skis until after getting above the 551 that cuts towards Montmagny. Then, it was as smooth, straight and fast as it gets! Probably not the trail I should have been on while 'breaking in' my new 1200 Renegade X that started the day with .2 miles on the odometer!

* The 526 green trail was incredible with tons of snow

After arriving at the Universal, a trip to the bar was needed for snacks and spirits. Not long after sitting down, who else but Mike Rider sits down beside us! Again, nice to meet another Québec Rider. Lots of trail talk, and Mike gave us some ideas for a return trip for the next day.

So, yesterday morning arrives and after fueling up we jump on the 5 trail all the way west to 557, take that south to 35, south on 35 for a few miles and then stay on 557 all the way until 55 south. At Mike's suggestion we have lunch at Saint Pamphlet golf course. Lots of sleds here. We take fuel and then stay on 55 all the way to 549 north up over the mountain with all the wind turbines. Lots of snow here, but lots of ice on steep trails. Take the little orange crossover trail and end up on 547 north until we hit the very welcome railed of 35! West we go on 35 until we hit 75 north and run that all the way back to Bernieres. Total miles for the day was 253

Trail notes for yesterday:

* Everything from RDL all the way to 547 were unbelievable! Lots of snow, groomed well, and great going

* Stay away from 547 at all costs! Brutal is an understatement!

* The 75 returning to Levis is in bad need of snow. It is passable, but all corners are ice and the warm weather coming early this week will not be good.

So, all in all, a great first run of the year for us. Sorry about no pictures to post! Camera was left at home, and phone charger as well! It was great to meet Jack, Sandi and Mike, and look forward to meeting more Québec Riders at the winter gathering in March!

Terry & Molly

Great reporting Terry & Molly! Always appreciate QR's taking the time to share their PQ experiences & current field conditions. Thank you both!

Don't worry about your break-in period Terry. It's a four stroke. I've always broke-in my new sleds (2 strokes or 4 strokes) the same way. Two speeds. On & Off!

I drove by Bernieres on the highway home to NJ from RDL Friday morning @ 10:15am!

Enjoy your new sled!

Tom

Edited by Florida Snowman

Tom, learned from the best after years of reading your reports! Always am so envious of the big mile trips you guys pull off, but almost feels like I'm along for the ride with the reports! And yea, pretty much disregarded any factory recommendations for break-ins. It is my first 4 stroke and I'm happy with the decision!

Terry & Molly,

I hadn't noticed your daily mileage. Wow - good for you both!! That's 2 big days of riding! Terry----DON'T let Molly get away! You're a keeper Molly! My wife Brenda likes to ride but she tops out at @100 miles or so. Enjoy the winter guys. It's finally here!

Tom

It was great meeting you and Molly also. We're so happy you had a good ride. Trail 75 is thin but once you get about a third of the way to RDL the conditions get so much better. RDL is getting graced by the snow gods this year.

Jack & Sandi