Help/recommendations in RDL PLEASE

Shane

Hi guys!

Absolutely FANTASTIC ride yesterday. Left RDL went south to Pohenegamook, put the sleds half in Maine half in Canada, then down through New Brunswick to Edmunston and back up the 12 to the 85 freeway to the Universal. 245 miles and not a single bump. Well ok, maybe one or two and insanely light traffic! Great day!

Can you guys recommend where else to eat in RDL besides the Universal? Great location, but the food....well not as good as the trails. LOL. We are NOT fancy eaters nor efficiandos of fine wine or cuisine, but would love some other choices for dinner. We are about to head out now for the day. I know you guys are the greatest riders on the net and looking forward to checkibg back here later today for your suggestions! Heading east today.

My riding partner had major neck surgery this fall so today may be a little less in the mileage department but the skies are clear, the trails are smooth as they come, today is picture day for Gerry! Thank you advance guys! Safe trails to all!

Remember, the Universal has two restaurants, the big one and the small one sort of attached to the bar. Each has a separate menu.

A few blocks down is Au Cage la Sports, cool place with fantastic duck confit poutine!!! To get there turn right out of the Universal and go about a half mile thru a few traffic lights. Turn right at Tim Horton's then take a right into the big lot and shopping mall. Look closely and you'll see it. There is also an Irish Pub to the right of Au Cage. Also in that same corner is an A & W burger joint but it isn't open very late, maybe 7 pm. Across from Tim Hortons I believe there is a Subway and Pizza Joint and Canadian version of Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Or continue on the main drag after leaving the Universal going a couple miles thru all the traffic lights and take a right, bringing you into the old city, a charming mini Quebec City with a couple restaurants (get directions at front desk).

Leave the Universal and take a left at the first traffic light and go 1/2 mile to the Levesque Hotel, believe they have a nice restaurant.

Or, after getting directions, leave hotel and take a left after 3 or 4 lights, this brings you down by the St. Lawrence and I believe there are several restaurants and cafes in that area.

Or get on Highway 20 east and take the next RDL exit and you will land at the famous chicken place (St Hubert's???) right at the end of the exit. There may be more restaurants beyond that, but I'm not sure.

One friend who stays almost as often as I do at the Universal swears the best food at night is the RDL snowmobile club house. Says the meals are fantastic.

Glad you are finding good riding.

mike

At the Skowhegan exit I decide to either stay on 95 to Houlton or take the exit to Jackman. Either way another 5 1/2 hours to 6 hours to Riviere du Loup.

Cost of the Universal seems to vary. I've seen it listed from 82 Canadian to 109 Canadian. More for the dinner package. Seems to vary in price depending on the day of the week.

Remember to subtract around 30% off on the US dollar vs Canadian dollar difference. So when all said and done I'm paying $55 to 60 US for a room per night. Much cheaper that hotels in the snow belt of Maine. And the Universal is many ties superior than most Maine snowbelt hotels.

mike

Hey Shane ,

Sounds like you guys are having a great time up there! I left the Universal last Friday. Have fun and be safe!

I like to stay and eat at the Best Western - Hotel Levesque when I'm in RDL. It's only a few blocks away from the Universal. They have a great restaurant with fine dining and a wonderful bar area with more casual dining. The waitresses and bar maids are very nice to look at also!

Http://www.hotellevesque.com

Enjoy & keep posting!

Tom

Edited by Florida Snowman

Clk, Yes I enter Canada at Houlton. Then go straight and follow road to end, a long curve, and this puts you on the highway northbound directly to RDL.

It is about 50 miles long going Houlton vs Jackman, but four lane road the entire way.

mike

Hey Shane ,

Sounds like you guys are having a great time up there! I left the Universal last Friday. Have fun and be safe!

I like to stay and eat at the Best Western - Hotel Levesque when I'm in RDL. It's only a few blocks away from the Universal. They have a great restaurant with fine dining and a wonderful bar area with more casual dining. The waitresses and bar maids are very nice to look at also!

Http://www.hotellevesque.com

Enjoy & keep posting!

Tom

X2 on the Levesque,stayed there Last Friday.Nice scenery!

A few flurries and snow showers yesterday and a dusting over night.

Thank you as always for all the info