Gaspe Loop Jan 20-24

im4snow

Mark, Hugh, and I recently completed an 1100 mile loop of the Gaspe. My novice skills won't provide the same quality "trip report" we're used to here....but here are some pics and details.

• As other's have confirmed, trails ranged between very good and perfect.
  • Some thin snow in the fields around Rimouski and a few thin but for only very short stretches elsewhere during the trip. I think I counted maybe 20 bumps....groomers were alive and well!!!
  • Mostly clear skies and moderate temps.
  • Stopped twice for permit check
  • Very low traffic, other then Sunday between Rimouski and RDL.

1) Drove up from SE PA and said hello to Mikerider at Universal in RDL Tue evening.

2) Wed--from RDL to Point-a-la-Croix...stopping at Groomer's clubhouse along the way.

3) Thr--from P a la Croix to Murdochville

4) Fri--from Murdochville down to Perce to see The Rock, then up trail 5 to stay in Grande-Vallee.

5) Sat--Grand Valle to Rimouski (getting to Hotel Rimouski not fun due to low snow)

6) Sun--Rimouski to RDL, then home.

Random pics.....

post-1631-0-31317000-1453823399_thumb.jpg

post-1631-0-74784800-1453823407_thumb.jpg

post-1631-0-01902100-1453823415_thumb.jpg

post-1631-0-62702800-1453823429_thumb.jpg

post-1631-0-17217000-1453823441_thumb.jpg

post-1631-0-20538100-1453823455_thumb.jpg

post-1631-0-47668700-1453823473_thumb.jpg

post-1631-0-71695500-1453823487_thumb.jpg

post-1631-0-34143000-1453823497_thumb.jpg

Good info, we are heading up Saturday to do that. Starting in Levis though. Can you describe the hotels you stayed at good or bad. Where do we need to watch for gas and approxomite milage each day? We are safe around 120 miles between gas. Anyone else chime in. Thanks in advance.

Good info, we are heading up Saturday to do that. Starting in Levis though. Can you describe the hotels you stayed at good or bad. Where do we need to watch for gas and approxomite milage each day? We are safe around 120 miles between gas. Anyone else chime in. Thanks in advance.

If you're following the route I noted gas was a non-issue, plenty of options. I think that's generally true of the entire Gaspe. A GPS with Quebec maps was handy to have as it definitely helped us avoid a few wrong turns etc.....

1) First night (after a long drive) at Hotel Universel in RDL. Would recommend

2) Second night ...forget the name of the place, maybe Motel Interprovincial???? (same owner as The Select in Amqui, Qubec) right off trail into Pointe-a-la-Croix. Would recommend....restaurant onsite, gas close, easy access to trail

3) Third night at Hotel Copper in Murdochville. Only option that I know of, gas and main trail block or two away.

4) Fourth night at La Maree Haute in Grande Vallee. A bit of ride from the main trail...place was so-so. Restaurant on site.

5) Fifth night at Hotel Rimouski. Nice place but too far off main trail for me. A bear to get to with low snow conditions....unless you like buying carbides and watching your 2 stroke approach overheating.

Very nice John. Gaspe can be a roll of the dice sometimes with the drifting snow but you hit it perfect.

Jack & sandi

Thx Jack and Sandi

We REALLY got lucky with some sun and worst case overcast skies.

In Grande-Vallee we stayed at the Hotel Grande-Vallee des Monts. Not far off the trail and right on the bay. VERY nice place, good food, real nice rooms and friendly. Some rooms in main building,where we stayed and a few motel type room next door.

Way to get it done guys! Nice trip for sure. Excellent job reporting John! Thanks for taking the time to share with us. It's wonderful when you get a few sunny days as the views of the ocean & mountains are spectacular.

It's a long ride in the trucks from PA to RDL eh? That's a lot of black trail for sure.

Tom

Way to get it done guys! Nice trip for sure. Excellent job reporting John! Thanks for taking the time to share with us. It's wonderful when you get a few sunny days as the views of the ocean & mountains are spectacular.

It's a long ride in the trucks from PA to RDL eh? That's a lot of black trail for sure.

Tom

Hi Tom....thanks.

Yes, it's quite the drive for sure. We were fortunate to have dry roads up and back. And I have to say, route 20 from roughly the Montreal area all the way to RDL is a mostly gorgeous roadway (straight, smooth, and simple) for driving.

In Grande-Vallee we stayed at the Hotel Grande-Vallee des Monts. Not far off the trail and right on the bay. VERY nice place, good food, real nice rooms and friendly. Some rooms in main building,where we stayed and a few motel type room next door.

Thanks for that info Pipemaster

Yes that 20 can be quite a handful in bad weather, the wind is crazy and with a trailer in tow. An experience you won't soon forget.

Especially so from Montmagny on east. Just like the riding in Gaspe not easy with weather. Driving or Sledding.

Yes that 20 can be quite a handful in bad weather, the wind is crazy and with a trailer in tow. An experience you won't soon forget.

Especially so from Montmagny on east. Just like the riding in Gaspe not easy with weather. Driving or Sledding.

On the way up we hit lots of wind in the US (NY State) that made for slower going....but once we turned eastbound from 15N onto 20E it was much better. Coming home we had no wind....what a difference wind can make with a tall 3 place in-line enclosed behind a 1/2 ton pick up.

John, Great job telling about your trip. Something tells me you had this well planned. Sounds like the smoothest trip around the Gaspe ever.

Great meeting you, Hugh and Mark.

mike

Thx Mike. Nice meeting you too. It was planned with the help of folks here....and otherwise a heavy dose of dumb luck goes a long way.

I had the pleasure of being one of the riders that was along on this well orchestrated Gaspe adventure.. I've ridden with John before and he has a true passion for the sport as I do. I must say John and Hugh were an absolute blast to ride with!!! Never a dull moment and tons of really good laughs! The trails and the scenery were nothing short of perfect. The Gaspe loop was on my bucket list of rides I wanted to do in Canada. I always read the reports and check out all of Groomers pictures and it was something I needed to see for myself. Well.. we did it and it was freakin awesome!! I was definitely not disappointed.

I broke in my new 2016 Renegade in in just 2 days trying to keep up with John! He was the one with the GPS and "The Plan". We were all on a mission. We wanted no mishaps or issues and a safe ride. Mission accomplished!! Hope to ride with these guys again sometime soon..

Thanks again guys..

Edited by snowshark

post-394-0-88475100-1454029038_thumb.jpg

Hey Mark. Great ride for sure! The Gaspesie is epic start to finish. I assume you meant you "broke-in" your new ride in 2 days. Sounds much better that way!

Oh yes!! Broke it in is more like it... LOL

thanks

A couple more random pics...post-394-0-88475100-1454029038_thumb.jpgpost-394-0-72514200-1454030008_thumb.jpgpost-394-0-12531600-1454030014_thumb.jpgpost-394-0-02196500-1454030019_thumb.jpgpost-394-0-07123600-1454030025_thumb.jpgpost-394-0-25138900-1454030031_thumb.jpgpost-394-0-96571300-1454030035_thumb.jpgpost-394-0-01569000-1454030041_thumb.jpgpost-394-0-84443300-1454030046_thumb.jpgpost-394-0-54741700-1454030052_thumb.jpgpost-394-0-36831200-1454030057_thumb.jpg

The top speed pic Is I'm sure just track spin when we hit the patch of ice. But I'm pretty sure John track spin was only 110

Edited by snowshark