On the trail at last

Jackstraw

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 3

Woke up to cloudy skies and the plan was to actually make the 5 pm ferry to matane.

Tq3 all the way. At forestville to early for lunch and deceided to keep going hoping the only other stop was Columbier for fuel an lunch. Well fuel no problem but know restaurants . Great people at the small store set us up a shopping cart table and big John sandwiches out of the fridge. I think they have a shelf life of a year lol! Onward. Two 3 was absolutely sweet the whole way to the big bridge outside of bae comeau . After that well can't complain after the first part. 25 km of junk to the ferry. Got there at 3:15 a little early so took the bike way along the river to a hotel for a beverage . Must say nice new ship had dinner and a few cocktails and we where in Matane.

Getting off not to easy to figure where to go, bare pavement and gravel by the railroad was enjoyable with limited signage. An hour later after fueling up at the riotel for the night. Dam, lotta pavement grinding to get there also. Tomorrow is still a question mark

Not a good day for pics, cloudy and flat light .

Did figure out putting the phone inside my fleece pocket under the coat worked.

Never had an issue with the old iPhone.

post-106-0-62794600-1454034761_thumb.jpeg

post-106-0-91406800-1454034806_thumb.jpeg

post-106-0-88365100-1454034847_thumb.jpeg

post-106-0-35710400-1454034886_thumb.jpeg

YA wheels......thinking the same Tom, will save my paver stone driveway too.

Last time I was on that ferry crossing Jim we had a very rough crossing, practically everyone on board was sick. All the bathrooms were overloaded and people were using garbage cans and sinks to vomit in, if you weren't feeling sick you can grantee after having a wiff you were a part of the crew in no time.

YA wheels......thinking the same Tom, will save my paver stone driveway too.

Last time I was on that ferry crossing Jim we had a very rough crossing, practically everyone on board was sick. All the bathrooms were overloaded and people were using garbage cans and sinks to vomit in, if you weren't feeling sick you can grantee after having a wiff you were a part of the crew in no time.

Nice vision in my head now! Lol . Dramamine ,Check!

Our whole gang has those wheels installed. Been using them for many years. They are a godsend when crossing roads, especially when the trail is offset on the other side.

Also great when running down the pavement to get to a gas stop or rest stop. How many times have you gotten gas at a regular gas station then had to yank your sled around to get it out of the way while you paid and waited for the others? With the wheels, just point your skis and go. When your skis hit the snow again, they are spring loaded and they just pop up out of the way. They really are a must have.

Our whole gang has those wheels installed. Been using them for many years. They are a godsend when crossing roads, especially when the trail is offset on the other side.

Also great when running down the pavement to get to a gas stop or rest stop. How many times have you gotten gas at a regular gas station then had to yank your sled around to get it out of the way while you paid and waited for the others? With the wheels, just point your skis and go. When your skis hit the snow again, they are spring loaded and they just pop up out of the way. They really are a must have.

I'm liking the wheel idea. I'll try to find an older thread about it here on QR (in the General section) and bring it to the top to discuss the different brands. I know Bill has a preference that I think he noted in said thread.

A couple of us have the Rouski wheels.I did some research before we bought and glad we went with them.Ours are manually operated.

I took the set I had on my polaris for three years and retro fitted them to my ski doo.Got to use them last weekend on one of the detours

due to this low snow winter.I won't ride without them now.Almost as mandatory as reverse.You don't know they are there til you need them.

Also will keep your sled cooler by not working nearly as hard to push carbide thur those bare parking lot gas stations in the spring!

Day4

Woke up again to cloudy skies and flat light so not another pic day.

Left the riotel grinding your way out. Trails real thin around matane, once out and up in elevation plenty of snow and tq5 freshly groomed last night. Took the 5 to the 548 which I beleive is the tq35 now? Lunch at the ski area then off to the local orange into New Brunswick.

Everything to this point was groomed last night and a 10

Once in NB it only got better. Fast wide and groomed to perfection!! Rode to Moose valley lodge for a quick stop and off to Edmunston for the night. Really impressed with the trails in NB. Signage doesn't even come close to QC standards. But the pine tree lined trails are beautiful. Back into QC in the morning

post-106-0-09305900-1454111699_thumb.jpeg

post-106-0-79321900-1454111777_thumb.jpeg

post-106-0-93001500-1454111833_thumb.png

Bought my Rouski wheels tonight Tom, putting them on in am.

Jim.... That's some milage you guys are doing, love the NB trails, Moose Valley certainly deserves another visit in the futur.

I got family in Edmonston, every time I'm in the neighbourhood i stop in, only suitable considering I'm 7 hours out and in the neighbourhood.

Back in the day I used to ride out of Cross Point across NB up to RDL then over to Bernieres in one day.

Where you guys landing tomorrow night

Day5

Woke up to sunny skies for once, saddled up and headed to QC

Trails leaving NB a solid 10. Once in QC trails also a solid 10

Lunch in pohemagamook . Trails from there to lac etchmen where we are tonight showing wear from high traffic. The last 20 miles tug hill like especially up in elevation around Massive Du Sud. if there was more snow it would have been whooped everywhere.

Back to the truck tomorrow. At the meritol in lac etchmen , live music playing, Eric's been ripping up the dance floor and I've seen enough LOL!

post-106-0-38600100-1454211972_thumb.jpeg

post-106-0-57930700-1454212002_thumb.jpeg

post-106-0-05488500-1454212026_thumb.jpeg

post-106-0-80277900-1454212058_thumb.png

post-106-0-12061600-1454212078_thumb.png

Final day

After a good night at the hotel bar, a little bit of a late start in the morning after the conga line dropped Eric off at the room in the we hours of the morning we saddled up and. Planned a easy ride back to the truck. Now the good, bad and the ugly. First the good, easy there wasn't any! Actually the first part of the morning was freshly groomed but didn't last. We headed west towards Saint georges and had lunch in Saint Marie that's when the bad began. I've never seen snow melt so fast.

Now it was lets just get to the truck before there is no snow! The ugly, don't think I've ever ridden so far on dirt. I mean 20 plus miles of dirt with snow mixed in. The farther east we went it got better but this area is kaput! Back in to bernieres is still rideable but barely. Tomorrows warm temps and rain will be the end. Had one outer carbide twisted like a pretzel and Eric snapped a torsion spring in the rear. Noticed it this morning fueling up. Must've broke last night on the 2ft moguls coming of the massive du Sud

Sled looked like a low rider, set of fuzzy dice in the windshield would have been complete! All in all 1204 miles of good times and back to the truck safely. 3 weeks till the next mission.

Only one pic and that basically sums it up

post-106-0-63229000-1454284600_thumb.jpeg