2016 Jeff & Sandys trip

Northbound

Rode Amqui to Bonaventure today. Rode through groomers area but we didn't meet up, we usually see him out grooming. Your trails were great as usual JG! Saw many moose tracks but no moose. JG must have them trained to only show up for his camera.

Almost all trails today were freshly groomed. Saw plenty of deer. Took the shortcut trail below the cable bridge to avoid cross pt. Even it was freshly groomed. Snow a little thinner around bono but that's about normal.

Gassed up and got lunch at Chandler.

Day4

Bono to Gaspe. There is a reroute heading east out of bonaventure that I think connects 2 local trails that show on the map north of the 5.It may be temporary but it is straight and smooth and is even a few miles shorter. My GPS was going crazy and actually shut off a couple of times. I don t know if it was mad at me because it felt like I was ignoring it. Do they program feelings into these now? Hope not.

Lunch and gas in chandler. Between bono and Chandler we saw 5 sleds and 6 deer. We took the 597 to the Bailey bridge cutoff to Gaspe. On that stretch we saw 2 more sleds and one groomer. The 597 was good and the cutoff was freshly groomed.

Warm temps again today make it feel like mid March riding. Gas station going into Gaspe the guy said this time of year he usually gets 70 sleds a day. Today he said he had one tour of 10 sleds and us.

Day4

Bono to Gaspe. There is a reroute heading east out of bonaventure that I think connects 2 local trails that show on the map north of the 5.It may be temporary but it is straight and smooth and is even a few miles shorter. My GPS was going crazy and actually shut off a couple of times. I don t know if it was mad at me because it felt like I was ignoring it. Do they program feelings into these now? Hope not.

Lunch and gas in chandler. Between bono and Chandler we saw 5 sleds and 6 deer. We took the 597 to the Bailey bridge cutoff to Gaspe. On that stretch we saw 2 more sleds and one groomer. The 597 was good and the cutoff was freshly groomed.

Warm temps again today make it feel like mid March riding. Gas station going into Gaspe the guy said this time of year he usually gets 70 sleds a day. Today he said he had one tour of 10 sleds and us.post-774-0-83571900-1454108862_thumb.jpg

Rode Amqui to Bonaventure today. Rode through groomers area but we didn't meet up, we usually see him out grooming. Your trails were great as usual JG! Saw many moose tracks but no moose. JG must have them trained to only show up for his camera.

Almost all trails today were freshly groomed. Saw plenty of deer. Took the shortcut trail below the cable bridge to avoid cross pt. Even it was freshly groomed. Snow a little thinner around bono but that's about normal.

Gassed up and got lunch at Chandler.

hi jeff and sandy !!!!

many thx !!!...glad you appreciated ....yaaa...first in a few years we did nt meet !!!

moose,normally i see them early morning !!

jean-guy

Day 5

Gaspe to Grand valley. Last year Sandy found a couple of new places she liked and one was in Grande vallee, where we are now.

We backtracked from yesterday to the 597. Yesterday it was so nice we thought we'd run the top section today. We havn't been on the top section in years. We had lunch at the Copper. Trails were in good shape. Only saw a few sleds all day.

When we hit the 5 and turned east it looked as if they got a few inches last night. Motel is full tonight.

post-774-0-66132100-1454187964_thumb.jpg

Day 6 Grande Vallee to Saint-Ann-Des-Monts

Sandy's favorite new place to stay on the Gaspe is where we are tonight. Had another warm comfortable ride today. Before getting within about 10 miles of this town we had seen only 3 sleds and 1 coyote. Up in the mountains the trails were good with plenty of snow. Down around st ann the trails got a little more bumpy with less snow and many sticks. I think the groomer had a cutter bar and many of the cutoffs ended up on the trail.

Nice room overlooking the st lawrence, nice dinner at Chez Bass.

post-774-0-55045700-1454290370_thumb.jpg

post-774-0-13266200-1454290388_thumb.jpg

Day 7

Woke to steady rain. We carry rainsuits to use if we have to travel but we didn't have to travel today. We were headed to godbout and then a night in sept isles and then back to baie comeau. We had to cancel sept isles so we had an extra day so we used it now.

Day 8

Rode to matane today to catch ferry tomorrow. Trails were bad today. They had frozen dirt, ice, frozen slush, and rutted frozen snow. Away from town they were better but not good. Matane should be avoided if possible.

We have never had scratchers until this trip. I had a bad feeling about this mild winter and installed them about 2 days before we left. We used them today and they worked well. Wheels came in handy today also. ( a quad may have been nice).

Fresh snow tomorrow will be welcome.

Day 9

Matane to forestville

Rode the new ferry, very nice. Had breakfast on board. Met some interesting people from Maine. They were trailering to the Lac. 5 other sleds on board. The least ice I've ever seen on the crossing.

Heading west on the 3 the first 20 or so clicks rough until you get to the big bridge. Then conditions got very nice and that's about when the snow began. Probably got 3 or 4 before town and it looks like we've had another 3 or 4 by now and it is still snowing.

Saw about 5 or 6 eastbound sleds today and one groomer.