Levis to Gaspe & back

mxsenior

Day 1 , Jan 25th, Tuesday - We started from Berniers Motel on Tuesday at 8am. We were a group of seven. two XRS 800's, one 1200 renegade X,

Two 600etec renegade X's, one 600etec XRS and one artic cat 600. #75 to #35 was thin snow cover, bumpy, with icy corners in the woods.

The fields sections were smoother with better snow coverage. #35 had better snow

Coverage. #547 to #55 east was also

thin coverage, icy, and bumpy. From # 55 on was groomed with plenty of snow. One of the 800 XRS's started vibrating badly. It had two

broken motor mounts. He backed off the throttle a little and we continued on to #35 east to # 526 North. Although our destination was

Riviere-Du-Loop the trails were so nice and we were having fun so we turned right onto #85 and rode to #544 north until we arrived at the .

Then turned around rode it in reverse back to #526 and continued on to Hotel Universal. Arrived at 6:30pm with 305 miles.

Day 2, Jan 26th, Wednesday - At breakfast the rider with the broken motor mounts decided he was going to the Skidoo dealer to try and get the 800XRS repaired.

His roommate, the other 800XRS rider, was too sore and beat up to come to breakfast. It was his first ride of the season. They were

going to keep in touch by texting and possibly meet up with us later. We left at 8:30am on #526 to the orange trail that takes you to #544 east

Trail was groomed with a few inches of fresh snow on top. We were putting first tracks down. 30 miles in the check engine light came on

the 2016 600etec Renegade X. He said the rave valve was stuck. He had been to his local dealer twice with the same problem. The next

village we passed thru had a gas station with a heated garage. The attendant let us use the garage to take the rave valves out. He even loaned

us some tools. It took about 2 hours to get them out, clean them and reassemble. Back on the trail 11am to #571. Then #5 east to #579 and

#587 to Amqui. All the trails today were a 10. Arrived at the Selecthotel at 6:00PM with 225 miles.

Day 3, Jan 27th Thursday - Started at 7am heading south on #5 towards Causapscal. turned onto #587S about 9 miles before Causapscal. I've been on this trail before,

but never when the conditions were this good. It was fresh groomed with tons of snow. The trees were covered in snow. This trail is 84 miles

long and intersects with #5 at the end. If you like twisty trails with at lot of elevation changes this trail one of the best. When we intersected

with #5 we turned left and headed north to just past where we started #587. turned onto an orange trail that took us to #5 ust east of

Pointe-a -la-Croix. Continued on #5 west to #587N near Amqui. #587N to #579N to #5 west. Stayed on # 5 west to #529 to Riviere -Du-Loop.

The artic cat barely made to the gas station at 122miles. The 1200 Renegade X ran out 100 ft from the pump.

Pulled into hotel Levesque at 7:30pm with 405 miles.

Day 4, Jan 28th Friday- Left at 8:30am. on #526 to #35. 16 miles out my brother on the 1200 renegade X realized he had left his phone in the room so he went back

to retrieve it. The rest of us continued on to the relais at the intersection of #526 and #35 and waited for him there. Continued on #35 east

until I made a mistake and was on # 561N. continued to # 5 west. #5 west was thin coverage and icy all the way to #557. Turned South

on #557 to #55. These trails were great. Continued on #55 to #75 . Once past #35 intersection on #75 towards bernierns the trails were

even thinner and icier then when we left on Tuesday. It was dark and the leader went over an embankment leading down to a creek

crossing the was no longer frozen. He braked but then pinned it and rode across the open water. Everyone else behind hit the brakes.

The artic cat which had no studs at all went sideways, tipped over and ejected the rider. The sled and sled and rider were fine.

We all crossed one at a time. No big deal. It was only about 20' to the other side. Two other riders showed up just as we crossed.

We decided to watch them cross. One did, but the other one could not make up his mind, so we continued on to Berniers.

arrived at 7:00 PM with 300 miles. 1232 miles total

All the trails were great with the exception of about 50 miles from Berniers Hotel. The rider that had the problem with the rave valve

lives near Utica, NY and normally rides Tug Hill, Old Forge and the adirondacks. He is an experienced rider but he had never

been to Canada before or been on a saddlebag trip. He was amazed at the quality and quantity of trails were you can ride thousands

of miles thru cities and towns and with the hospitality we experienced in Quebec

Great trip & reporting Alain! Sounds like the high mileage days we laid down together a few years ago! Did you have all the brothers together on this ride? Did you get a new sled last year or this year? Thanks for sharing & reporting on your trip. Love all the details!

Keep in touch,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Yes, I know you always ride high miles on your trips from reading your posts. You cover some ground in a hurry on that yammie.. Just one brother with me on this trip.

I bought a 2015 600 etec Renegade X last year. This trip I was riding my 2013 600 etec Renegade X. The same machine I had when we rode together.

It now has 13,000 miles but only 2,000 on a new short block.

Alain