no passport

jimcb1

I think people are asking about this topic a lot this year for a variety of reasons.

Many of the states have terrible snow cover so for the first time and at the last minute they want to go to Canada in hopes of better snow.

The exchange rate is bringing new life to Americans using Quebec trails. And finally, cheaper gas!

I have never received so many messages as this year (Mostly from other forums) asking all kinds of questions about riding Quebec and crossing the border.

mike

The more ID the better, enhanced or passport the best, But we have been told by Can customs supervisor that you are a guest in our country, and we dont have to give you a reason if we dont want you in our country. Get the right stuff and be nice at the border and never a big deal. Coming back is hit or miss, sometimes show ID and drive thru, sometimes crazy questions and open the trailer, but as said they have to let you back home.

So out of curiosity, what does a US passport cost and how long is it good for?

In Canada we more or less have no choice but to have a passport to enter the US. Actually it is no big deal IMO I use it often crossing into the US in summer and you basically need one if you want to fly to another country anyway. We can get either a 5 year passport or a 10 year one. I think I paid around $160 for the 10 year one.

Well Jim, you have many opinions here. Canadian customs and US customs are the ones that will be able to give you the definitive answer. That is who you need to contact. If you do contact them, remember to get names just in case. Good luck.

Jack & Sandi

jimcb1, I think you will be risking ruining the trip for everyone else if you bring her and she gets denied entry, Not worth the risk for a girlfriend, He will probably have more fun without her anyways (sarcasm). The rules have become much more strict in the few past years and is a long trip back to PA. with a bunch of unhappy campers for one person.

jimcb1, I think you will be risking ruining the trip for everyone else if you bring her and she gets denied entry, Not worth the risk for a girlfriend, He will probably have more fun without her anyways (sarcasm). The rules have become much more strict in the few past years and is a long trip back to PA. with a bunch of unhappy campers for one person.

These are the rules for Canada as of Dec 2015. Below is the email I sent requesting info and the reply that we used to create the post on another forum and I reposted here.

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: CBSA-ASFC_CONTACT <CBSA-ASFC.CONTACT@cbsa-asfc.gc.ca>

Date: 1 December, 2015 2:29:13 PM EST

To:

Subject: RE: US citizens entering Canada by land border crossing **15-28825**

Foreign nationals seeking entry into Canada must meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA). The requirement of subsection 16(1) of the IRPA states that a person who makes an application to enter Canada must answer truthfully all questions put before them for the purpose of the examination and must produce all relevant evidence and documents that the officer reasonably requires. The individual seeking entry must be able to satisfy the border services officer (BSO) of their identity and nationality. This may be facilitated by providing the BSO with a valid passport or other original document that clearly denotes identity and nationality.

The following documents may be satisfactory evidence of United States (U.S.) citizenship:

A valid U.S. passport, U.S. passport card, or a Certificate of Citizenship and Naturalization are considered primary evidence and are acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship.

The Enhanced Drivers License (EDL) and Enhanced Identification Card (EIC) (non-drivers) are alternative travel documents denoting the holder's identity and citizenship and are acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship when entering from the U.S. through land and marine ports of entry only.

An original U.S. birth certificate, when accompanied by a valid government issued photo identification document, is considered an indicator and may be an acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship.

Land and sea entrance into Canada by a U.S. citizen seventeen (17) years of age and under can be completed with an original birth certificate alone. Photo identification is not required until the age of eighteen (18).

Please note that international transportation companies such as airlines may require travellers to present a valid passport. Travellers who present other documents may face delays or may not be allowed to board the plane or other conveyance. Please contact the airline to confirm the required boarding documentation.

You should also be aware that foreign nationals may be found inadmissible to Canada on the grounds of criminality, security, human or international rights violations, health, financial reasons, misrepresentation, and non-compliance with the IRPA.

Information on visiting Canada is accessible at:

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ivc-rnc-eng.html

Children seventeen years of age and under may require additional documentation when travelling without the presence of all parents or guardians. More information and a sample consent letter can be found at:

http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/children/children-travel

Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: November 30, 2015 10:11 AM

To: contact@cbsa.gc.ca

Cc:

Subject: US citizens entering Canada by land border crossing **15-28825**

Hello,

I would like some information concerning US citizens entering Canada by Land border crossing.

I am a Canadian living in Canada and I am planning a get together for a small group of motorcycle enthusiasts in Quebec this coming summer. A number of the participants will be US citizens entering Canada at a land border crossing. I have been looking around the cbsa web site and while I have found some information, I want to make sure that the information I pass along concerning requirements is correct. Exactly what forms of documentation is excepted for them to enter? A US friend has mention enhanced state drivers licence as possibly one example of acceptable documentation to enter, what else would be acceptable in leu of a passport?

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide,

Norman Ward

Sent from my iPad

Posted before and witnessed by more than one.

"An original U.S. birth certificate, when accompanied by a valid government issued photo identification document, is considered an indicator and may be an acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship."

Send her home on a plane if she is denied entry.

I entered last season with two other guys all of us having passports and one of them having a prior DUI. As luck would have it they asked us to pull in for further questioning. After reviewing our info. They asked the fellow with the DUI to come to the desk.... Oh boy here we go..... After 3-4 minutes he comes back and says let's go riding....He said he answered there questions honestly and he had completed all requirements of the case.. They said welcome to Canada have a nice trip. FYI the DUI was from the year prior so not long.

You had better luck than I did. We got a random questioning one year and when they asked about a DWI that I had 8 years prior, I admitted it since I knew they already knew. Well guess who was denied entry? Guess whose buddies had to turn around and take me to Plattsburgh to catch the first of 4 buses back to NJ? Guess who had to write to the Canadian Consulate to apply for leniency so I can enter Canada in the future? Guess who sat home the rest of that season cause it took 2 months for the paperwork to go through? Guess who has been going back ever since and never once got questioned again? Yup, all that and never had to use it. Anyway, ever since 9/11, we have all used passports.

Tell us more about the Summer Motorcycle get together. What you got cooking? Off road or road bikes?

Sure,

Road bikes. I belong to an on line group called VBA, stands for Vulcan Bagger Association. Most bikes are either Kawasaki Nomads, kawasaki Valqueros or Kawasaki Voyagers, although we always have some other brands that come to the rallies. We hold a national rally every second year usually somewhere in the US and regional rallies in the off year. We basically book a hotel as a base for 3 days, socialize and do group rides each day. Most regionals that I have been involved in have been in the eastern US but this year we are holding it in the Tremblant area. It's a good group of people and a lot of fun.

Two weeks ago I arrived at the border only to realize I had forgotten my passport. My passenger gave me his bleak outlook on my chances of getting through. Well, I was there so trying it was what I did. I explained my stupidity and asked permission to visit their beautiful country as I handed over my regular NY drivers licence along with truck and trailer registrations. The (cute gal) border agent said that she could see that I have been crossing several times a year for many years. So I guess they can obtain a lot of info from your licence. Long story short is that they let me through and said to have a good time . She also said not to do that again. Getting back across was more or less the same. THANK YOU SNOW GODS and the border agents at the Champlain crossing! This could have been a real bad experience .

Sure,

Road bikes. I belong to an on line group called VBA, stands for Vulcan Bagger Association. Most bikes are either Kawasaki Nomads, kawasaki Valqueros or Kawasaki Voyagers, although we always have some other brands that come to the rallies. We hold a national rally every second year usually somewhere in the US and regional rallies in the off year. We basically book a hotel as a base for 3 days, socialize and do group rides each day. Most regionals that I have been involved in have been in the eastern US but this year we are holding it in the Tremblant area. It's a good group of people and a lot of fun.

Thank you, sounds like a good time. Certainly picked a great area to show them QC. If I had me a road bike like that I would be loving that trip. Enjoy.

Just read on TY that a member had a friend going on a QC trip in the near future lost his passport and was able to get an appointment at a State Department Regional passport Center, (Philadelphia) and received a passport in hours for $195.

Can also be done in Scranton, Pa or probably any Federal courthouse

My wife did this as well for my daughter before we went on a cruise. We live in VA and drove to Washington DC, waited in a room full of stinky people for an hour or two and was good to go...

Not sure what was worse, parking in DC or the stinky people...

My wife did this as well for my daughter before we went on a cruise. We live in VA and drove to Washington DC, waited in a room full of stinky people for an hour or two and was good to go...

Not sure what was worse, parking in DC or the stinky people...

There sure are alot of stinkers in DC.

Can also be done in Scranton, Pa or probably any Federal courthouse

This may be true but I don't think so. For same day passport service you must go to one of 28 State Department Passport Agency offices.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/where-to-apply/agencies.html

Yep DC parking is a bitch.

This may be true but I don't think so. For same day passport service you must go to one of 28 State Department Passport Agency offices.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/where-to-apply/agencies.html

Yep DC parking is a bitch.

Ok not sure have never done it myself. You can for sure do it in Scranton,PA as I have a friend that did it a couple years ago