Le Chenail du Nord

RoadRunner

• 1 year later...

We meet again! After briefly meeting TB near Moosevalley last spring when he was with Ice, Trailblazer arrived at Forestville last night just  in time for Happy hour and dinner. Great being able to sit down, have a few with TB and Francois, and catch up on trail stories and tomorrow's ride up in area of  Relais 94, plan to stop at Le Chenail and say hi to Benoit. Yesterday we had a Picture perfect blue sky day and 268 miles of on and off trail riding! A few breakdowns, like a broken suspension on Rob's sled that destroyed the track, a wedged clutch on a viper, but just normal stuff lol

An early start this am for some great riding conditions.

RR

IMG_0657.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_0654.JPG

Edited by RoadRunner

Yesterday's ride was a perfect mix of smooth groomed, to single track woods roads, to some aggressive roads, to ice roads to unplowed super hiway roads , lake and river runnning and bush wacking. Just a normal day of back country riding in the Forestville region. After 305 miles, we decided early on that Trailblazer and Francois were one of us. This duo can run with the best of them. We did not have any serious break downs but definitely some carnage.

In the ride disclaimer, I know Trailblazer read the small print ....that we do on occasion run plowed roads.  Well needless to say this morning TB has two differently colored skis to ride on??

we got a chance early in the morning to refuel at Benoits and say hi, they plan to be open next year with a loop trail connecting with Escoumin and Forestville.  That's good news for the north country!

The end of the day also was a little scattered as several of our ride members needed to order up fuel delivery servces! Three members fell miles short of the Columbier refueling depot! TB also won that award for being the furthest away when the last drizzle of fuel ran thru his fuel pump⛽️

Yesterday was a great example of the mix of riding conditions, we also should mention that lunch options were limited so the extra large breakfast we ordered yesterday am payed off huge.

Today a run up towards the Pipmuacan and a scenic photo opportunities with a projected blue sky day!

IMG_0659.JPG

IMG_0660.JPG

IMG_0661.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_0666.JPG

IMG_0667.JPG

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0669.JPG

IMG_0671.JPG

Edited by RoadRunner

And than there were 3. Many of our trips this year have neen coupled with carnage or breakdowns for some reason. Today was no different. We started the blue sky day with 10 of us headed to Le chapel for lunch , some were breaking off and continuing on into the valley and home tomorrow and  4 of us including TRailblazer  would be looping back to Forestville.

We started of and temporarily lost the two lead members of our party, they were apparently taking different way to Mt Valin than our planned route😉. We meet them later at Valin for lunch 

It was one of those perfect Blue Sky days and we were running mostly groomed secondary trails to lunch. Half way up the secondary trail on the Portneuf river we run into another Cains Quest racer, go figure, these guys love to explore even when they are not racing, they  are taking the same "off trail" short cut that we have planned.

On we go only to find when we take a break as we connect with the school bus trail, a snow bungee wound up in Couter' s extreme expedition.

We unwind this from the track and continue on the the water fall. Gorgeous scenery here. At lunch we connect back with out two lost leaders and a briefly back to ten before our split up after lunch

Trailblazer is loving the off road riding version so he wants to head north and off we go. 25 miles or s into this awesome backcountry ride we loose Couter on Lake Poulin de Courval. Uh Oh  starting to feel like the Lab loop again. So his secondary is bound up but he can drive in 40 miles an hour or less. We abort or northern trip plan and head for the quickest way to Forestville, only 125 miles away. We get 15 miles or so this way and than the clutch is done. We do trailside triage and determine an emergency operation needs to be attempted to save the patient.

By "clotting" up the splines of the clutch with our delicate field tools, we might be able to continue to limp this home to Forestville.  The patient died on the table! On the hook it goes to km 31. 

And than there were three. After Trailblazer, Francois and I pounded down a Grand Labatt Blue and it was nearing 6 pm, it's time to head for Forestville, of we go for an awesome 110 mile ride into Forestville with the setting sun and an 8:45 arrival. Thank goodness the restaurant stays open till 10!   A quick happy hour with TB , a great meal with 2 bottles of wine and we called it a day.

TB will be back for more off trail adventure next year, we think?

A great adventure and examples of off trailing in the Quebec North Country

Till Next season

Happy Trails 

RRIMG_0683.thumb.JPG.47f2c54a00c594eed65ee7479247c320.JPGIMG_0682.thumb.JPG.045434d338dd2ff2aa2c4567a67928a4.JPGIMG_0681.thumb.JPG.02bdb5806a228961f9683859b4f8bc83.JPGIMG_0680.thumb.JPG.0926a5b91fdf6a991a4ba7a1d41f5b7d.JPGIMG_0679.thumb.JPG.a3c53d744572787330d4aba7ae64ff23.JPGIMG_0678.thumb.JPG.af957dee4dc161ffe07728ba8f7a402b.JPGIMG_0677.thumb.JPG.d753f767d30f1e5a25f63489bf3e4d1a.JPGIMG_0676.thumb.JPG.f9610c62a61bfcb622a55ef9b3df910b.JPGIMG_0675.thumb.JPG.f21a563356e5e02fe68440abb972f108.JPGIMG_0685.thumb.JPG.fc2682636eb68e6b40351299618d738e.JPGIMG_0673.thumb.JPG.d4c3a7768f157d9f8aeab61d88d7a40d.JPGIMG_0672.thumb.JPG.1e113ff43219d776f0f76bad16549a44.JPG

IMG_0674.JPG

Edited by RoadRunner

Roadrunner,

Apparently you, me and NEKSleddr belong to Trailblazer's 'Two Bottles of Wine' club.                                                                                                                                                      Maybe he needs to come up with an emblem/sticker designating those of us that survived an evening with Trailblazer.

mike

10 hours ago, mikerider said:

Roadrunner,

Apparently you, me and NEKSleddr belong to Trailblazer's 'Two Bottles of Wine' club.                                                                                                                                                      Maybe he needs to come up with an emblem/sticker designating those of us that survived an evening with Trailblazer.

mike

Mike R, That's a great club to belong too! The Red certainly went down smooth last night!! 🍷🍷 A fun awesome ride with TB and Francois!

11 hours ago, markusvt said:

Nice run again guys. TB is a trooper for sure.  Even with only 4 hours of sleep and 1 bottle of wine 2 nights in a row we could not kill him. Up at 6:00 each morning ready to go.

I know his secret. ... it's the snow and awesome trails.  Not to mention the reward at the end of the day.

1 hour ago, HD-RIDER said:

Hi guys ! Thanks for this awesome trip , Now I really have the icth ! for more off-trail riding ...

will meet again next year

Francois

P3240002.JPG

Francois, welcome to QR,  your advanced riding ability and know how,  on working and repairing breakdowns make you a natural fit for sure! Both those skills come in very handy in the bush!

Plus... You enjoy the bottle of wine at night too! Looking forward to connecting next year! The seasons starts for us Dec 1st❄🌬😉

Talk soon RR

On 2017-03-26 at 8:51 AM, mikerider said:

Roadrunner,

mike

And just to make things clear Mike, I was not the one that ordered that second bottle in RDL, we've got a team player on this one. Hmmm.....I wonder.

Well guys it was an absolute superfying experience riding with you guys but before I go on any further I would like to extend my upmost gratitude to RR for the invite to ride with him and the Team Maine crew. We had a great time both on and off the trail, now running with the pack is one thing but apresskiddoo is another. Fun times sharing sled stories over some vino. We will be back, you can count on that.

Now I’m not going to get into the details of day 1 and day 2 as RR already covered that in his earlier post but I do have to say that Francois and I were quite surprised at how well these boys can handle those 154’s on a groomed trail, now don’t get me wrong here. We had no doubt these boys can handle their own off trail but on the trail, being trail riders ourselves thought for sure we would gain some distance between those 154’s. NOT!!….what a wake up call!! These guys were trail riders before off trail riders and really know how to handle their rides. Definitely a learning curve here, we’ve got some homework to do. I had the time of my life tailing Coutter on that 20 wide 154 Expedition, he rides that tow truck like a sports car and I believe Francois has finally met his match and more trying to keep up with Easyrider and Roadrunner.

Black trail home was just as rewarding as the one up, dry roads with a bright blue sky, only difference with the ride home is that we had Freerides, Summits and Expeditions dancing around in our heads for next year.

It was great guys

A la prochaine

image1.thumb.JPG.0e03c03b70372e8064a69774b2fd18c3.JPG