First loop around the gaspe

Zapper out

You better boogie and plan on some higher mileage days if you want to do that trip in 6 or 7 days. Ft. Kent to R-D-L is a good day's ride. In perfect conditions (no issues at all with weather or breakdowns) you can do the TQ5 loop in 4 days. Doesn't leave much time to "stop and smell the roses" or just to slow down and enjoy the Gaspe', especially if this is your first trip.

You shouldn't have any problems getting a room, Maybe reserve the 1st and last night and play the rest by ear, I call ahead from the trail before noon and reserve a room for that night. You have to be flexible, your plans will change.

Must see areas? Everywhere... but Perce' Rock, the Chic Chock mountains, "Piston Alley" the 597, Murdochville and La Cache are some of my favorites.

Enjoy

Looks like I should move it up to first week . What's a good mileage day for this area? We are running 2 smokers is skidoo oil easily found

It's available but not always super convenient....... in my limited experience. I leave full (obviously) and carry the equivalent of 5 quarts (one of which is in the Doo goggle bag that mounts on the clutch guard, the other four in the luggage somewhere). That's enough for the 4-5 days of riding we did around the Gaspe.

I'm a fan of the Powderkeg. I use the stainless steel bottles (each has a 2 qtr capacity) for most of the oil I carry.

post-1631-0-52296000-1455466776_thumb.jpg

post-1631-0-19273700-1455466781_thumb.jpg

Oh boy both of us are running 2016 800 etecs with about 1,500 miles on them.

You will be fine just don't keep it pinned on the long pulls and trade it for a 2017 upon your return.

• 8 months later...
5 minutes ago, 800R MXZ X said:

So is it impossible to find oil in the gaspe?

Must you run a specific brand? There is oil there, Ski Doo in Caspascal, Chandler, do a search. It's not cheap in QC.

9 hours ago, Phil 1 said:

Must you run a specific brand? There is oil there, Ski Doo in Caspascal, Chandler, do a search. It's not cheap in QC.

Yes I do need to run doo oil, I get about 500 miles on a tank safely. But the gas stations do not carry 2 stroke oil in the gaspe? I don't mind carrying a gallon for the ones that do not carry it but would like to avoid carrying oil for the whole trip. Cost is not really a concern as it's snowmobiling, everything is expensive.

thanks

I have found it easier to carry enough oil for the whole trip. Some gas stations carry OEM oils, some don't. I have made plans to stop in towns with a BRP dealer to buy oil, only to find out they are out of 2 stroke oil. Also a pain in the neck for the rest of the group that are riding 4 strokes. I'm looking at the new Sidewinder for my next sled. Main reason, won't have to carry oil.

3 hours ago, 800R MXZ X said:

Yes I do need to run doo oil, I get about 500 miles on a tank safely. But the gas stations do not carry 2 stroke oil in the gaspe? I don't mind carrying a gallon for the ones that do not carry it but would like to avoid carrying oil for the whole trip. Cost is not really a concern as it's snowmobiling, everything is expensive.

thanks

See below...

18 minutes ago, rev39 said:

I have found it easier to carry enough oil for the whole trip. Some gas stations carry OEM oils, some don't. I have made plans to stop in towns with a BRP dealer to buy oil, only to find out they are out of 2 stroke oil. Also a pain in the neck for the rest of the group that are riding 4 strokes. I'm looking at the new Sidewinder for my next sled. Main reason, won't have to carry oil.

When I rode a 2 smoke I carried oil for a lot of the reasons rev39 stated. I carried quarts so as the trip goes on every time you dump a quart the load gets smaller. I have also paid $80.00 a gallon I know it's snowmobiling but I felt that was excessive. I just purchased my second 4 stroke---It's sweet to not have to worry about oil and you can run the low grade gas. I believe the gas can sometimes be suspect...

5 hours ago, Phil 1 said:

See below...

When I rode a 2 smoke I carried oil for a lot of the reasons rev39 stated. I carried quarts so as the trip goes on every time you dump a quart the load gets smaller. I have also paid $80.00 a gallon I know it's snowmobiling but I felt that was excessive. I just purchased my second 4 stroke---It's sweet to not have to worry about oil and you can run the low grade gas. I believe the gas can sometimes be suspect...

I used to carry quarts too for the same reason, then as my trips got longer I was running out of room for clothing. So I had a fabricator friend weld me up a couple aluminum boxes that sit on the running boards and I bolt them to the tunnel. Each box is the perfect size for a gallon of BRP oil, until they change the shape of the bottle.😂 Now I just carry 2 follows for anything over 4 or 5 days. And my wife doesn't need to carry her own oil either.

I would think one or two liters in your bag would be lots, then when those are running out plan your trip to run past a Ski Doo dealer. Both dealers in Chandler and Amqui are within a kilometer of the TQ5. Fill your tank at the dealer and leave with 2 liters you will be fine. 

Ah, the good old days. 2 stroke. Mmmm. Hey to each their own. Me I'm over it. 

Lot's of oil. No worries. Worry more about no big storms while you are there and not grenading it on the interiors 595/597. 

Go for it.

On 11/14/2016 at 8:25 PM, 800R MXZ X said:

So is it impossible to find oil in the gaspe?

You can find it easily.

SD%20BRP_zpsfihsecwp.jpg

Amqui 418-629-4111 N48 27.547 W67 25.318

SD%20Amqui_zpsstiebfqy.jpg

New Richmond 418-392-5017 N48 09.111 W65 50.611

SD%20New%20Richmond_zpsv2ydyuk2.jpg

Chandler 418-689-2624 N48 20.554 W64 42.592

SD%20Chandler_zpszfwbu7ch.jpg

Gaspe 418-368-3362 N48 48.388 W64 29.334

SD%20Gaspe_zpsmirlogq1.jpg

Edited by GT Rider

2 hours ago, smclelan said:

I would think one or two liters in your bag would be lots, then when those are running out plan your trip to run past a Ski Doo dealer. Both dealers in Chandler and Amqui are within a kilometer of the TQ5. Fill your tank at the dealer and leave with 2 liters you will be fine. 

This from a guy with an unlimited budget, who uses satellite phones to arrange for oil (and labatts) delivered to the next hotel. Most of us can't afford $20 US for each quart of oil. Figure out a way to strap on a couple gallons, it's not too hard unless u have short track. The jugs are tough, and duct tape the caps...