Crossing from Pembroke

Northbound

We are planning a trip next week that will include us crossing from Pembroke to quebec to pick up the 43 trail. We had made the crossing several years ago following local advise and we crossed on the river I think a little north of Pembroke. After the fact I don't think it was good advise. The river didn't look good and when we got to the Ontario side we were told, we were lucky.

On the ont side at least for now the trails are not open south or east of Pembroke. Can you run across the highway 148 bridge or is there a transport or do we just call for a rollback truck.

I called the best western in Pembroke where we will be staying and they knew nothing.

Any advise would be welcome, thanks in advance

Jeff and Sandy

Not familiar with the river there, but I can tell you that the ice in general is not what it usually is in other years. For example, Further down river below Hawkesbury were we have crossed in the past I doubt it would be safe at all and would not attempt it. The lake in front of my house further north in the Laurentiens is usually 2 feet or more thick by now, this year it is only 10-12 inches. Often it is safe between Christmas and New Years, we only got on it for the first time about 3 weeks ago.

Definitely do not attempt to cross the river in Pembroke this year. There is no sled pick-up that I have heard of either but maybe try the local club on that one. Crossing at the bridge is possible but you will have a fair ways to go.

Thanks for your help guys,

I talked to a girl at the HI and she said some have been taking the bridge. I called the local club who put me in contact with the district 6 rep. He told me Marcels towing for a rolloff. He said they are working on a bridge that should be done by next season. The Ontario side is done now and he was told the quebec side will be finished next summer. That would be nice.

Jeff and Sandy

• 3 weeks later...

Roll off update,

We had called marcels towing about a week before our crossing, told them the situation about transporting our two sleds across the river and were quoted $65 pickup and then $3 per km.

We called them on 2-19, they picked us up and delivered us across river, the driver called it in and told us it would be $200. We said whoa let me talk to your boss and the lady on the line said the price was per sled.

Our sleds have wheels and we drove them on and off the truck and he strapped the sleds down together. The mileage was approx 10km.

The driver was very nice, this was not his call. After negotiating with the lady on the phone we settled on $110.

BUYER BEWARE. MARCELS TOWING