scum bags in Drummondville

dream of green

Well, it appears that the place to NOT stay in Quebec this year is............. (drum roll please),................. Drummondville!! So if you scumbags are reading this. Thank you for stealing our truck and trailer so we had to come home in a U-haul after saddlebagging for a week only to get back to hotel to find vehicle and trailer were gone. Oh, and by the way, Police reported 4 other vehicles stolen that week in the area. They seemed really concerned about it too. F--- You Quebec!

Edited by smclelan

Damn. That sucks. I hate hearing that.

X2 We were just saying we have not heard of any thefts lately. What precautions were taken? What year make and model were stolen?

Hey dream.

Easy on the F Quebec. You must be new here.

Waiting to hear what security precautions you took to prevent this. Please do tell. Is it right it happened of course not. But you need to lighten up. If you did not take any other steps other then locking the doors on the truck and you go to Drummondville(known hotbed for theft) then what do you expect?

Plenty of others have had zero issues and while it does happen it certainly is not the norm and I'm getting tired of hearing about how terrible it is here, mostly coming from someone who heard it from a friend of a friend.

Lock it (not just the doors) or lose it. There are many easy things that may not guarantee trucks not stolen but certainly does not make it easy on the thieves and usually they move on to something requiring less effort.

Well, it appears that the place to NOT stay in Quebec this year is............. (drum roll please),................. Drummondville!! So if you scumbags are reading this. Thank you for stealing our truck and trailer so we had to come home in a U-haul after saddlebagging for a week only to get back to hotel to find vehicle and trailer were gone. Oh, and by the way, Police reported 4 other vehicles stolen that week in the area. They seemed really concerned about it too. F... You Quebec!

Dream of Green - I understand your emotions. We had a truck, trailer and three sleds stolen in 2000 from a hotel in Sherbrooke. It SUCKS! We have never stayed in Sherbrooke again.

We rented a Canadian car to get us back to the States, then had to rent a U.S. car in VT so we could turn around and bring the Canadian car back. Then we drove home. Fortunately the truck and empty trailer (no sleds) were recovered the next day. The truck was a Dodge and the thieves usually take Fords or Chevys.

We also lost a two place enclosed trailer a few years later that was never recovered. But you don't need to hear my stories, you have your own pain to suffer with right now.

We know how much it ruins snowmobiling because we lost a whole season. We couldn't afford to replace the sleds until we received the insurance check in March. It definitely hurts when you are the target of low life like this but 99.9% of the people of Quebec will go out of their way to help any one of us from the U.S. Don't throw a dark blanket over the good people too.

We are still snowmobiling and make our equipment harder to take than the one next to ours.

Remember, it could happen anywhere with anything to anybody.

We wish you the best possible outcome.

Jack & Sandi

Edited by revct1

Really sorry to hear that, it sucks big time. I have to agree with Iceman though not everyone in Quebec is out to screw you and as a matter of fact I beleive most will go out of their way to help a tourist. Yes the ones who took your truck are scum bags just like there are scum bags scattered all over this world. The F.... Quebec is a bit much.

Like Cnc and Revct1 said there is no doubt there are more of the most helpful and friendly people here than you will find most anywhere in the world. I got plenty of experience to share on this.

Unfortunately there are the few low lifes as well, I am not gonna argue that one bit.

So please do not condemn all of the good Quebecers on the actions of a very few.

Waiting to hear what precautions you took when leaving your truck there in Drummondville to go riding. Please share.

Concerning to hear this but it is not acceptable to any of us here for you to drop the 'F-Bomb' on the people of Quebec. They too are sometimes the victims of these scumbags - who can be very difficult to identify, apprehend, and prosecute. Thefts in Quebec have waxed and waned in the past 20 years. Some years there are many thefts all over the Province; other years only a few in the 'bad' towns. Drummondville has never been considered 'safe'. I won't attempt to list good or bad areas but just say that I think I speak for most here when I say we always take precautions and that is not really different than most of us do in our country. I have an old saying that "locks only keep honest people honest" but everything/anything you do to make your stuff harder to take is a deterrent.

I agree that you shouldn't have to do anything beyond locking your vehicle/trailer but some towns have people who will take them unless you do more. Then again, there are certainly places in the US where the same can be said.

Sorry for your loss -

Nice edit job Steven. Is this real? Who starts a week saddlebag trip from drummonville with these conditions. Maybe if you knew enough to bitch on this site, you would know enough to read the security precaution thread on this site. I'd be more f--g pis--ed off that I was stupid enough to ride the s--t conditions around drummonville for a week than that my truck was stolen.

Edited by smclelan, lol.

Nice edit job Steven. Is this real? Who starts a week saddlebag trip from drummonville with these conditions. Maybe if you knew enough to bitch on this site, you would know enough to read the security precaution thread on this site. I'd be more f--g pis--ed off that I was stupid enough to ride the s--t conditions around drummonville for a week than that my truck was stolen.

Edited by smclelan, lol.

Well put Scorp. Probably a Troll. Still aint been back to respond. Excellent point on starting in Drummondville. They are most certainly very experienced to have dropped in there to ride. Not.

Have been going to Quebec for years and have been very lucky. I can give Dream of Green a pass for his heat of the moment anger, it is understandable. I will say I parked my loaded truck and trailer one night in Drummondville on the way back from a trip and even though I took precautions I didn't sleep a wink that night.

Have been going to Quebec for years and have been very lucky. I can give Dream of Green a pass for his heat of the moment anger, it is understandable. I will say I parked my loaded truck and trailer one night in Drummondville on the way back from a trip and even though I took precautions I didn't sleep a wink that night.

If you lose sleep, you aren't taking precautions. Fully loaded truck and trailer is the worst thing you can do, ask many people on here. All you have to do is unhitch the trailer, park next to it and chain them together. I don't have a trailer, but this is what I do in chicoutimi (plus what I say in the security precautions thread)...

Note, gas caddy is locked and you can't see, but the spare belt is also locked up under the hood.

post-12-0-47884600-1455329103_thumb.jpeg

we took precautions as we always do but there has been stuff stolen there for years and not just in snowmobile season, many race car haulers as well

I was very disappointed to hear of this theft, hadn't heard too much of this in the last few years. The story hit home as this did happen to our group when we left a new F350 diesel and trailer in Saint Agathe. Returned from our 5 day run only to not see his truck/trailer. My truck was 4 years old and was only broken into. No matter what the theft is, it makes you smoking mad and wanting revenge. This was back in 1999 and was a real wake up call. From that time on, we take many precautions and are always vigilant in trying to make it as hard as possible for the low life's. Every time I return to my truck after a trip, a sigh of relief comes over as I see the rig sitting there. I feel the pain of anyone violated by thieves , it happens all the time everywhere, not just Quebec.

I've always used low technology for protection.

1. Remove relay fuses from under hood fuse box.

2. Leave trailer until locked. I've seen trailer side cut out for the content

3. No matter how late empty the trailer cable sleds nose to nose.

4. Most importantly if it easy access to hotel i.e. right off major road or city then it's easy for them to take. Go out of your way some stay off the main grid.

5. While travelling back in rest areas or glass one person stays with rig. I've heard of rigs followed and stolen out of rest areas. I'm generally alone so I added a toggle under dash to kill ignition supply leg. Very simple but effective. Slow them down they become a target. In my d max I actually used the over head console dome light switch for the ignition interrupt. Made jumper under dash I'd installed when traveling when home remove. Basically truck won't start with out pushing dome lights on. Note those lights won't work but the other cab lights did. At least in that truck. Hide in plain sight.

This isn't just a Quebec issue. You are near the Pittsburgh area right?

Edited by rmk

He's been a member for 6 years. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt. I don't see how we are going to get any more details if he just takes grief here for being upset about being violated. Having been in a group that returned to find their stuff gone I understand his emotions completely. I shared them myself in the time following our incident. Keep in mind that they are replaying all details in their heads repeatedly and are naturally going to be distrustful of a myriad of people along the way because it cannot be known who did it. And believe me, when the police roll their eyes and chuckle at you in response to asking about the chance of recovery (I have it on video) thats salt in the wound and something that sticks with you. Its not an indictment of the police its just the next slap in the face. Its a fact, theft happens everywhere. Its a fact that recovery in Quebec is lowest in North America. If you don't know, if you get complacent it can happen to you. If it does I not going to be mad at the victims. Who knows why someone from anywhere would start a ride from anywhere else. Theres no snow where his club is and all he reads is how great Quebec is. I have never considered riding from there but I didnt know that Drummondville had a higher incidence.

Quebec is great. The trail riding experience is second to none that I know of. Take precautions. Lock your stuff up.

I've always used low technology for protection.

1. Remove relay fuses from under hood fuse box.

2. Leave trailer until locked. I've seen trailer side cut out for the content

3. No matter how late empty the trailer cable sleds nose to nose.

4. Most importantly if it easy access to hotel i.e. right off major road or city then it's easy for them to take. Go out of your way some stay off the main grid.

5. While travelling back in rest areas or glass one person stays with rig. I've heard of rigs followed and stolen out of rest areas. I'm generally alone so I added a toggle under dash to kill ignition supply leg. Very simple but effective. Slow them down they become a target. In my d max I actually used the over head console dome light switch for the ignition interrupt. Made jumper under dash I'd installed when traveling when home remove. Basically truck won't start with out pushing dome lights on. Note those lights won't work but the other cab lights did. At least in that truck. Hide in plain sight.

This isn't just a Quebec issue. You are near the Pittsburgh area right?

Thanks RMK now I know how to steal your truck... :rofl:

I would have been as upset as dream of green. I've stayed at places where all they have is a sled corral, and a gate with a medium security chain. My brother who was new to snowmobiling and was riding my second sled couldn't understand why I was putting so many chains and locks on the sleds and why I was chaining them together side by side? I used the thickest chain I could buy and also the highest security locks. They weren't cheap, but gave me enough piece of mind to sleep. Too far to drive to wake up to stuff stolen. Years ago I heard stories of thieves coming up on sleds in middle of the night, hooking a rope or tow strap and dragging (stealing) sled away through woods trails....then probably tossing it in a truck and off they go.

Another story I was told by someone I met from the states. The guy was riding with his wife and son and were staying in Saint Come. They parked their sleds in front of hotel and it was still daylight out. The guy goes to his hotel room to use the bathroom and he happened to look out his bathroom window and sees three guys trying to load his sled into the back of their oversize van! He goes running outside and they see him and hop in the van to escape. He hops in the back of the van where two of them are as the driver begins to take off driving the van. Now the guy was just trying to stop them so police could arrest, but it turned violent as the two guys in back of van each picked up a tool (apparently the van was full of stolen tools as well) and started to come at him cursing him out in French! He picked up a pipe wrench and started to crack them with it as the driver is swerving down main street of St Come. They didn't make it far as the driver slammed the stolen van into a snow bank and all three ran off before police arrived. The guy caught hell from his wife he said for chasing the guys, but he said he couldn't just stand by and let them steal his stuff. He really didn't anticipate the two guys coming at him, but he apparently had no apprehension about swinging a pipe wrench when they did. Believe it or not he said the Canadian police even frowned on his handling of the matter. Not sure what they had the problem with? Maybe cracking them with a pipe wrench? Any way the guy said he would still snowmobile in Quebec and was just glad they didn't get his sleds this time.

Let's see....

Drummondville.....known problem area.

Sherbrooke......... Probably worse

St. Agathe........yup you guessed it known area for theft.

St. Come......... Same song

St. Michel-St. Zenon........what do you think?

Feel free to add to the list.

Precautions start with where you go to park.

By the way MXZ that is some story, with the guy going all out and jumping in the Van. Either it's a long long time ago or it's a case of the story getting better each time it's told. Cause I'm sure I would have heard about that before now. Maybe not.

Either way for sure St Come on the list.