scum bags in Drummondville

dream of green

Ice man....this guy was not one to make it up....but embellish it?? I don't know, but he seemed truthful and not bragging or anything when he told me about it. He seemed more shocked that the guys tried to intimidate him by raising the tools over their head as to strike him. He said he figures they were really just trying to scare him off to get him to jump back out of the van so they could get away, but he got the jump and swung a wrench on them first. When he did that, they all bailed and took off. The struggle didn't go on very long....but did occur according to the guy. I cant remember how long ago he said it happened...but was not real recent. It does sound crazy, but anything possible. I am sure they didn't expect a chase. My guess is that more sleds are stolen under cover of darkness when better chance of avoiding something like this. As for the story, like anything some will believe it totally, some will dismiss it completely, and some will be somewhere in between I guess?

What makes certain areas more prone? I saw where proximity to highways can make you more prone.... That would explain St Agathe,, St Come is along a lesser traveled highway I guess. I heard that the police had been really making inroads with breaking up the theft rings over the years, but apparently haven't completely eliminated it which is nearly impossible to do.

I learn a lot on this site, like today. I never thought of becoming a target ust by traveling down the highway with trailer in tow. Didn't realize rest areas are hit too.

Wishing everyone better luck than the guy who started this post that's for sure.

Edited by MXZ700RIDER

Bottom line is it happens. Is it right? Hell no, it happens day and night. I have heard of more than one in St Agathe in broad daylight while people had just stopped to eat.

As for highway travel that has always been the case and you never leave the rig unattended not even for a minute. Take turns going to restroom or getting coffee or whatever. Someone always stays with the hardware. Common sense.

I understand the anger but I still am hung up on the whole F-QC from the OP.

This year with the non existent trails in the USA is finding lots of first timers or it's been a long timers coming to QC and not knowing the basics and choosing the wrong place to start, makes for easy pickins. It is not right but it's life. The world is filled with all kinds of people good and bad. Always has been always will be. It's everywhere.

Bottom line is it happens. Is it right? Hell no, it happens day and night. I have heard of more than one in St Agathe in broad daylight while people had just stopped to eat.

As for highway travel that has always been the case and you never leave the rig unattended not even for a minute. Take turns going to restroom or getting coffee or whatever. Someone always stays with the hardware. Common sense.

I understand the anger but I still am hung up on the whole F-QC from the OP.

This year with the non existent trails in the USA is finding lots of first timers or it's been a long timers coming to QC and not knowing the basics and choosing the wrong place to start, makes for easy pickins. It is not right but it's life. The world is filled with all kinds of people good and bad. Always has been always will be. It's everywhere.

The F Quebec is an insult to all of us, Quebec is my second home. OP needs to get a grip he is not new here, just a lurker.

Thanks RMK now I know how to steal your truck... :rofl:

Perfect is close enough. But we should call it something other then stealing you have a reputation to keep.

To topic its not hard to have 100g rolling down the road. That's a target in any location.

IMO the best place to park a vehicle in tow coming from a distance is not in the hot spots but more off the beaten path, okay okay we all like to be cool and show off our shorts when we got the right colors and know we gonna be looked at.

That's all good if you got sleeping quarters in your tow.

Back in the day up in St.Z and SMdS you were'nt cool if you didn't have a nice truck'n trailer to show off in the parking and a sled that'll blow the boots off the next guy. Mostly taken part by Americans whom were targeted because of obvious reasons.

Same goes for today be cool or be a fool!!!

Hence the attraction to the thieves.

If you got an out of town plate/registration you will be targeted. Sucks I know but that's how thieves think

Drive a little longer and stay at a hunting lodge in the woods preferable family owned, best protection you're gonna get. In all my years of riding in QC even though I'm from QC I feel more secure leaving the my equipement and sled at a hunting lodge then at a roadside motel/hotel/diner.

If you don't you're inviting them.

Good luck guys

I lost all my stuff 10 years ago in Granby. $75,000 scoots. I do not like the F-Q comment either but I know exactly how Green feels and nobody can pretend to know how he feels unless you have been through it. To top that horrible morning off for me the hotel charged me $120 for using the front desk phone all morning trying to make the many calls that were needed. That is when I took notice to the one and only "Bernard". I purchased a big logging chain from him, stayed at his place many times, and use it whenever not parked in a corral. Been trying to refrain from posting in this thread but had to tell that short story. BTW that was "One Heck Of A Beer"

We have all heard the story after story for decades. It's always going to happen. Was told that a lot of it is by the native Indians, (Eskimos). They will come down from say Manawan for instance with about 6 of them in a pickup bed. They will target whatever they can steal be it trucks and trailers or sleds. They usually chop shop them and sell the parts. We will usually try to park at a place with a locked, secure corral. If that isn't possible, we will unload then park the trailers up tight against a snow bank. We will box it in with the trucks and we to have battery cut off switches hidden on our trucks. We also use the bar across the steering wheel. One guy even has a fuel shut off. As for the sleds, we run 1 chain through all the ski loops with a tamper proof lock. Then we also cable lock the sleds together individually. We have been lucky. Been going up there since the mid 80's without a problem as far as theft. Closest we came was someones sleds got stolen who had parked next to us that night. never locked up their sleds.

I have the luxury of being able sled right from home, so I rarely have to trailer and or leave my truck and trailer anywhere. That being said, I would think the best way to discourage the thieves from taking your rig when you leave it parked un attended for several days is to remove one wheel from the trailer and one from the truck and lock them in the truck. If you think that is too much trouble, then so will the thief. I suspect that breaking in and replacing the wheels would be too time consuming and the greater the time it takes the greater the risk.

From what I have heard and read theft is way down from what it was 10-15 yrs. ago. During that time I was personally with people who lost sleds, trucks, trailers on 6 different occasions. I won't go into detail but it is a horrible feeling to come back from a trip and see your whole rig gone or get up in the morning and see your sled gone. Many of these folks simply will not go back to Quebec.

Jean-Guy,

Dream of green does not represent my views. We come to Quebec to ride not just for the great trails but for the great people. We travel a lot in Canada and the states,and are treated as well or better in Quebec than anywhere else. We secure are equipment, whether we are riding in Ontario or Quebec. We come to Quebec because of people like you and WE APPRECIATE everything you do for us.

Jeff and Sandy

Jean-Guy,

Dream of green does not represent my views. We come to Quebec to ride not just for the great trails but for the great people. We travel a lot in Canada and the states,and are treated as well or better in Quebec than anywhere else. We secure are equipment, whether we are riding in Ontario or Quebec. We come to Quebec because of people like you and WE APPRECIATE everything you do for us.

Jeff and Sandy

Way!

And thanks for chuckles on that tabarnak video Groomer!

If we don't laugh at ourselves, someone else surely will!

hi northbound and playhard !!!

great thx for your appreciation !!! its because of people like you we keep posting !!!

btw,dont think the tbk video was that bad...just to spice up my point of view !!!

no grooming tonight ,already - 23c and windy a bit...i ll wait in the morning !!!

thx again !!!

jean-guy :drinks:

Well, certainly apologize for the foul language, didn't mean to paint a broad brush over all of the people in Quebec, certainly wasn't the intent, but try hard, you'll get over it. No harm done. 2 trucks and 2 trailers, one of the trucks had a club on the steering wheel, the other, well, the one thing left laying on the garage floor that was forgotten was, well, you guessed it, a club for the steering wheel!!! So i guess that's why was such an easy target. As I am sure you can all understand the frustration level, what makes it even worse is the "I could really not care" attitude from the Police, and yes you have heard that comment many times so I am sure you can understand. Any more questions?

Thanks for your reply dream of green. Your frustration level was maxed I am sure. I have been on a trip where a sled was taken from the "secure" compound, and the police really didn't seem to care. Hopefully this won't keep you from coming back again sometime. As you can tell from some of the replies most of us are passionate about Quebec.

I am sure glad I am only reading this now (about St. Agathe) . We (2 couples) were in St. Agathe this past weekend for 3 days (day trips) due to other couple with us that did not want to travel far and she does not ride sled all day (i had planned on going to LSJ). Of course we did take precautions and chained sleds and the truck is 4 years old with open trailer (do they steal those too?) but we do that everywhere!...