Helmet Communicators

Teet F8SP

Im interested in getting feedback on helmet communicators. Im looking at the Collett brand and they have two styles now, bluetooth and non-bluetooth models.

http://collettcommunicator.com

Do these really work well up to 2 miles as they say?

Will battery last all day?

Any negative? heavy? too big?

Im looking at buying a set for me and my father so we can stay in touch. This way when he is behind me and needs a rest or I get too far out in front he can flag me down. Will also save me from looking behind me so much to make sure he is ok. Or if I miss a turn and he sees it he can also flag me down quickly.

Edited by Teet F8SP

I am a collette communicator user. It is the only brand I am familiar with. I have used them since 1989. We Newfound Snowworks were the exclusive dealer for New England for a couple years 1989. The quality is good and they do work. It is not like talking on your cell phone in your automobile, but it is good. We have always had our own code, limiting communication to one or two signal words."Incoming", meaning sleds approaching etc. When you are stopped at an intersection you can all sit on your sleds and talk without removing your helmet.

I THINK 2 miles is pushing it but certainly 1 mile is accurate. If you travel in a group and are speed out properly you can relay communications.

I have used Collett Communicators for about 20 yrs. They are reliable in all weather conditions and the company stands behind and supports them. Although I have to add that I have only had experience with getting help over the phone; I've never sent a unit back for repair. Battery life is good as long as you remember to charge them each night when on a multi-day trip or overnight before each use. Two miles would be generous but they are great for riding in a group or with family members when it is vital to alert others to a hazard or need to communicate in short conversations. Due to the way the microphones key, it may be hard to sustain long talks but we have never found it to be an issue. Safety is the selling point here and they are great to warn others of an issue. For the types of conversations you want they should be fine. Weight is not a concern - you won't even notice them on your helmet.

I have both the older 900 units (Collett now lists that they no longer support these) and a newer 900 Bluetooth. I like the Bluetooth for listening to music w/o having cords and the unit switches back and forth from voice to music seamlessly so that is never a problem.

I feel the Collett units are pricey but they do what they claim and I don't see any other manufacturers competing in the helmet-to-helmet market. They have a large share of the ATV market I'm told. You may be able to do some research on motorcycle forums and find more discussion about helmet communicators

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54

My wife and I have been using Collett since 2007. We are connected by hardwire so I cant be sure of the range. I do hear groomers approaching with the beacon. We can hear other collett users approaching (a nice warning).

I carry a spare microphone. I had one fail once.

I use "Communicator Power" connected to my machines charging system. It nice to have full power at all times and not have to think about batteries.

http://www.communicatorpower.com/

After reviewing the Sena models they appear to be a step ahead of the game in terms of technology, likability and apps to assist with setup.

The collect brand seems to have fallen behind while still charging more and after reading the reviews, their 2 mile claim is not accurate and the range is likely similar to the 1.2 miles that Sena claims. I am hoping the less expensive Sena 20s will be just what we are looking for!

http://www.buysena.com/powersports/20s/20s-01d.html

Edited by Teet F8SP

• 2 weeks later...

We got Sena 20s this year. Great product. Range can be limited by terrain obviously. I had been reluctant to go Bluetooth for years because of questionable batter life in the cold. One of the guys used his for 2 full days on one charge. The biggest caveat to me is making sure you understand the group configuration process before you are standing around waiting for everyone to be ready to ride.

We used our Sena 20s on our trip last week. We noticed on the wicked cold -30C temps that it would help to warm the unit up in your pocket when you stop for few minutes. Ours ran all day never shutting them off and talking to each other a lot. I even used the music bluetooth connection for a bit but I would rather hear the motor... The range is limited to about 1000ft in the woods and hills but in the wide open it was very good and it reconnected automatically when we lost connection.

It was great to be able to stay in touch with my dad, warn him of oncoming sleds or hazards, tell him I'm pulling over, ask if we should continue or stop without stopping or going too far, he could tell me if he had a issue and best of all I didn't have to turn around and look behind myself hardly at all.

Best of all I could hear him hooting and hollering over the hills and ski lifters... These communicators and our scratchers were priceless purchases for this trip and both definitely extended our enjoyable riding time!