2 Sleds Taken Last Night.

iceman

From the Enclosure in the Rear of Chateau Roberval.

Both Yamaha's both Apex

1 each from two different groups.

Met one of the guys sitting in hotel lobby from the group from Ontario who lost a 10' Apex. He gave his sled to his friend who got his stolen to ride back to St. Raymond. They were a group of seven guys. All splitting the $450 taxi ride for him to St. Raymond.

If you are a member here and do not lock your sled at night then don't complain when it's gone. You been warned over and over to take precautions.

None of the stolen sleds were locked or chained in any way. They found parts of the broken ignition from both sleds. They are targeting the Yammies and punching key with screwdriver and riding off,

Lock em or lose em.

Good [bad] reminder. Still sucks. $450! No Uber in QC?

Did not ask. Almost decided to offer to take him for half price. But we decided against the detour to St. Raymond.

Have been to the Chateau Roberval several times. But Im not remembering what the "enclosure" was. Is it just steel pipeframe and plastic like a greenhouse, with a locked door? And did these thieves bust open the enclosure then steal the sleds?

Was there last year and so busy that I had to park beside a service building near a sled corral.

What you are referring to basically a covered frame like a greenhouse that is illuminated and open on one side to the parking lot behind the hotel.

Edited by hparaptor

Have been to the Chateau Roberval several times. But Im not remembering what the "enclosure" was. Is it just steel pipeframe and plastic like a greenhouse, with a locked door? And did these thieves bust open the enclosure then steal the sleds?

Was there last year and so busy that I had to park beside a service building near a sled corral.

What you are referring to basically a covered frame like a greenhouse that is illuminated and open on one side to the parking lot behind the hotel.

Just a shelter (tent) not locked ever as has no door on the front it's basically a roof with 3 walls.

If you all are depending on locked corrals or enclosures then those are not precautions. They are extra. It starts with you. Lock your sleds through front suspension to each other (not through front or rear bumpers) and not with some cheap cable thing. Hardened Chain with a real serious lock.

Or else.

Our group of 10 was just parked in there last week. There must have been 30+ sleds in there and not one of them was locked, including ours. Easy picking for sure. I just park next to those expensive yammies. :pardon:

I parked an old Polaris in there 15 years ago and someone pulled my ignition apart and my heated shield cord but they never took the sled for some reason. Damn was really hoping that sled was gone in the morning...

We meet a couple of guys yesterday while out on the trail. One had a brand new skidoo grand touring, first day out with it and only 130 miles on it. He had started out the season with a new Artic Cat but with only 700 miles on it thieves broke into his garage cut a chain he had around it with a hacksaw he had in there amongst his tools and made off with it. All kinds of other goodies in there he said but all they wanted was the Cat. I think he plans on sleeping out there with this one.

We meet a couple of guys yesterday while out on the trail. One had a brand new skidoo grand touring, first day out with it and only 130 miles on it. He had started out the season with a new Artic Cat but with only 700 miles on it thieves broke into his garage cut a chain he had around it with a hacksaw he had in there amongst his tools and made off with it. All kinds of other goodies in there he said but all they wanted was the Cat. I think he plans on sleeping out there with this one.

Must have been a toy chain if they cut it with a hacksaw. Just saying. This was at his house? So they knew he had it in there.

He didn't say the quality of chain only that they didn't bring cutters but used his hacksaw. Yes guessing it was locals who knew the sled was there but didn't know it was chained. He was away at the time.

Damn, that sucks ! Don't normally hear of them stolen in that area. I will add another comment, when we meet people on the trail I am not always honest with where we are staying / going or never answer the question we get asked a lot " where is your truck" ? where did you start from ? etc... Just saying might want to think about it before you answer.

I have been using this for quite a number of years, so far either it really works, no thieves wanted my sleds, or there were no thieves in the area when ever I have used it. 3/4 braided steel cable and 1/2 inch thick hasp.

post-1966-0-71079300-1456152313_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cnc

Post Redacted (like the government does all the time ;<) based on the quick feedback from NSHM.

Its no secret that some locks are easy to pick / bump / defeat. Google or YT and 6 seconds of hard work can be highly educational.

Lock owners can/should do their own homework to verify their locks robustness.

Edited by NH-Moose

Post Redacted (like the government does all the time ;<) based on the quick feedback from NSHM.

Its no secret that some locks are easy to pick / bump / defeat. Google or YT and 6 seconds of hard work can be highly educational.

Lock owners can/should do their own homework to verify their locks robustness.

Early Kryptonite locks could be opened with a clear Bic pen barrel. I believe everyone knew that and Kryptonite replaced them for the asking. Now that company uses a different system for locks.

Bottom line is anything is better than nothing.

Always pull into parking spot, don't back in as it is easy to put rope thru loops and drag sled/sleds away even if locked together. Also if in questionable area park sleds side by side facing different directions much more difficult to just drag away...