Lodge vs Motel what's your experience

Fuse6

Heading to Mont Laurier area a week from now. Was in that area few years ago and stayed at the Quality Inn. Stopped at the various lodges to the N for food and fuel and thought many of them would be nice to stay at. The chain hotels are predictable type of room, cleanliness etc.

Lodges look like a multitude of quality and type of room may end up with.

Do you find the Sledder package is the best way to travel?

On this trip Rasbaska, Mekoos, Chevalier, Windigo could be options. This trip will be my son and my self so not going to be a second honeymoon adventure.

This trip considering staging first night from one of the Mont Laurier hotels then spend one or two nights out on the trail. We aren't really geared up for extended saddle bagging but wouldn't need to carry a lot for 1 or 2 nights on the trail at a lodge.

Is there a preferred hotel at Mont Laurier? Is next week, Monday Feb.29 the school break in Quebec? If so will the trails be considerably busier?

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, next week is School break for Quebec and the trails will be considerably more crowded. Check availability anywhere you go in advance or you 'may' be out of luck. I've stayed at Windigo and Mekoos and both are awesome. I get the package with the meals because it's the best deal.

Be advised that chutes Windigo, the little trail side motel is apparently closed this winter. Village Windigo a few miles away is top notch but much more expensive, maybe too expensive for a father son adventure.

Heading to Mont Laurier area a week from now. Was in that area few years ago and stayed at the Quality Inn. Stopped at the various lodges to the N for food and fuel and thought many of them would be nice to stay at. The chain hotels are predictable type of room, cleanliness etc.

Lodges look like a multitude of quality and type of room may end up with.

Do you find the Sledder package is the best way to travel?

On this trip Rasbaska, Mekoos, Chevalier, Windigo could be options. This trip will be my son and my self so not going to be a second honeymoon adventure.

This trip considering staging first night from one of the Mont Laurier hotels then spend one or two nights out on the trail. We aren't really geared up for extended saddle bagging but wouldn't need to carry a lot for 1 or 2 nights on the trail at a lodge.

Is there a preferred hotel at Mont Laurier? Is next week, Monday Feb.29 the school break in Quebec? If so will the trails be considerably busier?

Thanks for your comments.

You may also want to check out Pavillon Beauregard. Just east of Mekoos on 53. Very nice cabins on the lake with a lodge.

We left Mt. Laurier a couple weeks ago. Left our truck at the Comfort Inn. They charged us 10 dollars a day but the manager had us pack it away in the back and they had cameras watching it 24 hours a day. If you get there and spend a nite you don't pay for the next day. They do alot of business with snowmobile people. We felt safe. The trail is, 63 I believe, about 200 feet from the parking lot. From there you can either go north on 13 to Parent or west on 13 toward Val-Dor. Only my opinion. Have fun. I do say to my son now, if your sad just think of trail 322. It was amazing that day. Have fun and enjoy.

Did you try their Bavette?

I think so. Sounds familiar. A friend and I ordered one of the 2 offerings and tried each. There was a very pleasant atmosphere at 100 Lacs with Americans, Quebecoise and others hanging out breaking bread and sharing sledding stories. Hello to Macaffrey who I met at 100 Lacs. We were in a pinch and got the little rooms in main building. Never closed much less locked the door. We asked and the crew made us a trail side lunch pack.

That has got to be theeeee best Bavette I have ever tried, we were there in August on atv, new owners introduced themselves to us and told us they had the best Bavette ever, simply mouth watering, been marinated for 10 days. Now given my past experiences with Bavette orders, either too tough or too dry I thought WTH I'll give them the benefit of the doubt given they're new on the block. What a pleasant experience it was Trailblazer recommended.

Heading out Monday Morning for the Comfort Inn, Mont Laurier. Staying there for 2 nights then another couple nights to be determined on the fly.

Weather forecast looks ideal. Can't wait!